Car stuff-AC

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
So I come here before I go and randomly hit up the internet since people here give sound tortoise advice I assume people who will reply know what they're talking about and if I trust you with 'Nank, I trust you with car advice.

I have a 2004 Subaru legacy, the AC was ineffective for years, but this year it crapped out only blowing warm air. I had a check-up/recharge done in june, yay cold air again, but the problem was, like i'd assumed, a small hole in the compressor. I was given the choice to fix it, but in my logic the $500 required could be saved for a more necessary fix given the age of my car. I mean i'm a college student to graduate in a year, i'm going to have loans. I plan to essentially run my car to the ground so I do hope to have many more years with it. 2 months later my AC is warming up again so i'm guessing the Freon is running out again.
I obviously know I can't just magically patch the hole myself, so I wonder if any of you have ever done your own recharges? My dad has a lot more car knowledge than me... but he keeps saying he'll look into it but nothing ever happens, so I guess I'm taking matters into my own hands. I'm probably not going to do anything now, since its the end of summer and once august dies down i'll be fine with the windows and moon-roof.

I guess i'm looking for opinions on getting it fixed (i'm torn still) and info on recharging and freons.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Save the money for other repairs as they are coming. Timing belt HAS to be changed at around 105K miles, if it hasn't yet. Costly job but Not changing it will result in a catastrophic internal engine damage if the belt breaks.

Winter is coming, how are the tires?
Go thru the service records and check when the following service was performed; Brakes, battery, engine coolant flush, spark plugs, differentials, wheel alignment.

Not sure how long you want this cat to last, but In Subaru (boxer engine) it is important to have coolant flush performed regularly as old coolant may corrode head gasket. Oil changes needs to be kept up with as well.

In my opinion fixing ac before winter would take a back seat.

Last edited:

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I have a 2005 subaru legacy (I only just hit 61,000 miles). My bf has a similar issue in his car and just drives windows down. His car is over 210k miles and is saving for a new one.

Can you bribe your dad to take a look with a favorite meal or trip?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Doing the self recharge is simple.( remember it is only a temporary fix) You can get a universal recharge kit at Wal Mart for about $15, -other stores sell them also-. Read and follow the directions. I have one car with a very slow leak, I recharge it when needed. It takes about 1/2 can a year to keep it charged up.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Save the money for other repairs as they are coming. Timing belt HAS to be changed at around 105K miles, if it hasn't yet. Costly job but Not changing it will result in a catastrophic internal engine damage if the belt breaks.

Winter is coming, how are the tires?
Go thru the service records and check when the following service was performed; Brakes, battery, engine coolant flush, spark plugs, differentials, wheel alignment.

Not sure how long you want this cat to last, but In Subaru (boxer engine) it is important to have coolant flush performed regularly as old coolant may corrode head gasket. Oil changes needs to be kept up with as well.

In my opinion fixing ac before winter would take a back seat.
First of all I totally made this thread without remembering to follow it until now... whoops!

I'm at 120,000 now, I remember hearing about the timing belt a couple of years ago, and am pretty sure that's been replaced.

Tires are going on year #2 treads are still great, brakes were new as of 2 years ago, battery is less than a year old now (it'd lasted from the original to then too!) This is honestly the first itme I've heard of the coolant flush, so I may want to look into that (I know we make sure the fluid levels are good though), spark plugs were changed this summer. Wheel alignment was last done with the new tires (yeah I know that should be done).

I have intention for my car to last as long as possible, heck another 10+ years would be great! I'll look into the coolant flush since its something I've never heard of. Oil changes are definitely done regularly as is checking the oil level and topping of now and then.

I wouldn't end up fixing it before winter, I just happen to be asking before winter, if I did i'd wait till spring, but like you say there are expenses just for up-keep I need to worry about as well as surprise emergencies, so its probably not worth it, but the wanting it to last 10+ years makes that hard since I imagine 10+ years of hot summers. But you are right i'll probably go with recharges until the leak doesn't cooperate anymore. (almost all my car maintenance is done at home)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I have a 2005 subaru legacy (I only just hit 61,000 miles). My bf has a similar issue in his car and just drives windows down. His car is over 210k miles and is saving for a new one.

Can you bribe your dad to take a look with a favorite meal or trip?
Wow my cars only a year older than yours with twice the miles! I just hit 120,000 this month! is the bfs a Subaru too? I'm hoping to hit 200,000 even aiming for 3, only because it is possible and probable subarus get that far though. I do a lot of highway driving so the windows down things usually a pain, but the sunroof kinda works on the highway. But i'm just one of those I hate hot temperatures people.

My dad already knows the problem, he thinks because i'm a girl I cant do car stuff on my own, it took him 4 years of me driving to convince him to teach me how to change a tire, only because I told him i'd have a friend show me. I get he's busy but I mean really!? When I get coolant he'll have to help... bribery is something I haven't tried and probably a good idea :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Doing the self recharge is simple.( remember it is only a temporary fix) You can get a universal recharge kit at Wal Mart for about $15, -other stores sell them also-. Read and follow the directions. I have one car with a very slow leak, I recharge it when needed. It takes about 1/2 can a year to keep it charged up.
Perfect thanks! I know its a temporary solution but I figure as long as its a small leak its still a good solution, and much cheaper than going and having it done! And for lack of me saying it, i'd only recharge it in the summer months since I know theres no point in the winter :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
When you have a leak in your ac system it's due too a bad o- rings in the lines 90% of the time . The only way to know for sure is to have someone with the tools to check it out . I have a kit that you use to put die in the lines then under the light that comes with the kit you will see the leak . But to fix it you have to pull all the Freon out of the system . Then you replace the o-ring . Then charge the system back up . If your planing on keeping the car I would get this fixed right . If your compressor locks up on you you're talking big money to fix . Plus if you can't pay to get it fixed you will have to bypass compressor pulley witch is a pain in the butt .

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
When you have a leak in your ac system it's due too a bad o- rings in the lines 90% of the time . The only way to know for sure is to have someone with the tools to check it out . I have a kit that you use to put die in the lines then under the light that comes with the kit you will see the leak . But to fix it you have to pull all the Freon out of the system . Then you replace the o-ring . Then charge the system back up . If your planing on keeping the car I would get this fixed right . If your compressor locks up on you you're talking big money to fix . Plus if you can't pay to get it fixed you will have to bypass compressor pulley witch is a pain in the butt .
I had it dye checked and recharged at a shop in june, they said I have a small hole in my compressor and it was a $500 fix... sounds like more than just O-rings but it would be awesome if its that "easy"