Car advice

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
As many of you know I am graduating college soon, next Saturday to be exact. Well with that all of a sudden everyone is pressuring me to get a new car... And I am not amused by that. I love my car. I know it's not new or the best thing around but it's my first car and I'm not ready to give it up, especially when everything else in my life is changing. He (yes he's a "he" and his name is Henry... I guess it's a youngin thing to name a car) isn't bad, I mean the AC compressor has a small leak so it needs recharges yearly to work through the summer. The only other problems I've ever had was late last year a CV joint and drive shaft had to be replaced at the same time, but that's the only real money the cars ever needed put into it. Just 1 notable rust spot but it's small and being worked on to prevent it from really getting bad fast. It's a Subaru and has just under 130,000 miles at 10 years.

I'm not crazy for not wanting a new car right? I mean sure they give better deals on loans but do I really need more debt on top of college debt? My parents are almost criticizing me for not wanting to and trying to force me into a new one... All on top of the stress of graduating. I just need some input or something.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I would only buy a new vehicle if your job deems it necessary. For example if you take a job driving from city to city as a sales rep then you need something newer.

I would start by putting the maximum into a Roth IRA to get an early start on retirement investment. Then think about buying a home if you need to move out from the parents. Then pay off the student loans after eliminating all consumer debt.

You should have 2 credit cards to use on a pay it off monthly basis. Need them to rent cars, etc. Will also assist you in building a credit score.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I would only buy a new vehicle if your job deems it necessary. For example if you take a job driving from city to city as a sales rep then you need something newer.

I would start by putting the maximum into a Roth IRA to get an early start on retirement investment. Then think about buying a home if you need to move out from the parents. Then pay off the student loans after eliminating all consumer debt.

You should have 2 credit cards to use on a pay it off monthly basis. Need them to rent cars, etc. Will also assist you in building a credit score.
Job definitely won't require it, I'm an engineer and when meeting with people it's more often we have to travel or the CEO shows visitors around not us. I drive a lot to races (especially ones that require mud) so even if I kept my car new re inside would never really be up to sales person standards lol. And I get less worried about mud making a mess... Even though I'm super careful with tons of blankets and covers to protect the seats and interior.
I do have 2 credit cards actually, and yes indeed pay them monthly as I use them. Guess I'm off to a good start

Lexiii

CT
Congrats on graduating soon! My oldest son is a mech. engineering student.

You are smart for keeping your old car. I would drive it until it doesn't seem safe anymore.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If your car is reliable. You're young. Save your money.
There's plenty of time for nicer vehicles and big money expenditures in your future.
I drove an eleven year old Toyota MR2 and a 21 year Old Toyota Starlet until I met my first wife. She didn't like my old cars.
We bought a house. Got neighbors. Bought new cars and new motorcycles and traded in for the newest, shiniest about every couple of years. It seemed life became too much about what others thought.
Life is simpler now. But, I envy you.
Enjoy your simple life while it's still simple.
Drive that perfectly good car until the wheels fall off.
Geez. I just read that. I sound like an old man..

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
There's plenty of time for nicer vehicles and big money expenditures in your future.
I drove an eleven year old Toyota MR2 and a 21 year Old Toyota Starlet until I met my first wife. She didn't like my old cars.
We bought a house. Got neighbors. Bought new cars and new motorcycles and traded in for the newest, shiniest about every couple of years. It seemed life became too much about what others thought.

Not old, just wise:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Come to live In Fes medina, the largest pedestrianized urban area in the world.
You won't need a car.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I agree, if it is reliable. Keep it. Make car payments to yourself and in a year or so when you're ready you will not have to go so far into debt. My 23 year old son has 10k in savings. He currently doesn't have a car so is able to save.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Getting a new car doesn't mean you have to give the old one up. Keep the old one for the race type outings, and use the new one as a daily driver.

As far as credit cards, everything that follows assumes that you're responsible. I think you should have more like 4-6 at a minimum. More accounts (in good standing), with a high cumulative credit limit look better. Having more accounts mean that anytime you open a new account in the future, the average age of your credit accounts will take a smaller hit. I also ask for credit limit increases somewhat regularly, at least annually.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Don't listen to your family! Drive it and you will know when your ready for a new one!

So proud of you for graduating!!
Keep us posted on how it goes. What plans do you have for after? I mean like dinner with family etc.

Miss you in chat!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Getting a new car doesn't mean you have to give the old one up. Keep the old one for the race type outings, and use the new one as a daily driver.

As far as credit cards, everything that follows assumes that you're responsible. I think you should have more like 4-6 at a minimum. More accounts (in good standing), with a high cumulative credit limit look better. Having more accounts mean that anytime you open a new account in the future, the average age of your credit accounts will take a smaller hit. I also ask for credit limit increases somewhat regularly, at least annually.
I wish I had the money to get away with that! That I'd do... But alas I literally have NOTHING in savings at all after this last semester and that is terrifying!
I am responsible with my cards but the idea of having 2 I didn't even like but my discover wasn't excepted everywhere so I needed a second, even being hyper organized and obsessive about paying I'm still afraid ones going to slip through the cracks.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Don't listen to your family! Drive it and you will know when your ready for a new one!

So proud of you for graduating!!
Keep us posted on how it goes. What plans do you have for after? I mean like dinner with family etc.

Miss you in chat!
I told my family if they keep bringing it up I'm going to shove my broken AC compressor up their butts! I know it wasn't nice but they've just been pushing nonstop. And it's not like they don't know I have an attachment to my car, that's normal with people's first cars in at least the people I've met. I don't know the idea of selling my car for laughable amounts of money to get a new one just upsets me, I mean someone's going to spend the money to fix it when it's older and things start to go... And up to a certain point I'm willing to fix those because I know my car is still worth it, we've had the car since it was new in 2005, and I basically grew up in the backseat, those Subaru commercials don't lie, that's my cars story!

I think I'm going to lunch after commencement but other than that nothing because it's my sisters junior prom night and shes taking all the attention...and actually upset about me stealing "her" spotlight. Maybe I'll find out if my cousin and her boyfriend are free and want to go out for drinks, or with a friend, because it is my day. I keep trying to get back on chat, I miss everyone so much it makes me sad.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I told my family if they keep bringing it up I'm going to shove my broken AC compressor up their butts! I know it wasn't nice but they've just been pushing nonstop. And it's not like they don't know I have an attachment to my car, that's normal with people's first cars in at least the people I've met. I don't know the idea of selling my car for laughable amounts of money to get a new one just upsets me, I mean someone's going to spend the money to fix it when it's older and things start to go... And up to a certain point I'm willing to fix those because I know my car is still worth it, we've had the car since it was new in 2005, and I basically grew up in the backseat, those Subaru commercials don't lie, that's my cars story!

I think I'm going to lunch after commencement but other than that nothing because it's my sisters junior prom night and shes taking all the attention...and actually upset about me stealing "her" spotlight. Maybe I'll find out if my cousin and her boyfriend are free and want to go out for drinks, or with a friend, because it is my day. I keep trying to get back on chat, I miss everyone so much it makes me sad.
We all know it's your day and all these people you've known here ( I know, I'm still new) love you and are proud of what you've done.
They know it's your day and won't forget you.
It's obvious how so many people here miss you.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I didn't think it made you sound like an old man. I mean in high school the theory with having a car was if it had 4 wheels and went it was the perfect car... Now all of a sudden my car that not only has 4 wheels and goes but also goes well isn't good enough. I don't really care about expensive or luxury vehicles as long as they're practical and are reasonable comfortable. My only real complaint is that I get 23 mpg average mixed highway and city and there's cars that can do much better now but it could always be much worse!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
We all know it's your day and all these people you've known here ( I know, I'm still new) love you and are proud of what you've done.
They know it's your day and won't forget you.
It's obvious how so many people here miss you.
Aw my day is made <3 thank you. I'll probably be on here at commencement from my phone haha, I'm not so good at sitting still and listening to people talk for long.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You are a grown woman ,do what you want . If you want a car then buy one ,if not don't . Don't let people control your decisions .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As many of you know I am graduating college soon, next Saturday to be exact. Well with that all of a sudden everyone is pressuring me to get a new car... And I am not amused by that. I love my car. I know it's not new or the best thing around but it's my first car and I'm not ready to give it up, especially when everything else in my life is changing. He (yes he's a "he" and his name is Henry... I guess it's a youngin thing to name a car) isn't bad, I mean the AC compressor has a small leak so it needs recharges yearly to work through the summer. The only other problems I've ever had was late last year a CV joint and drive shaft had to be replaced at the same time, but that's the only real money the cars ever needed put into it. Just 1 notable rust spot but it's small and being worked on to prevent it from really getting bad fast. It's a Subaru and has just under 130,000 miles at 10 years.

I'm not crazy for not wanting a new car right? I mean sure they give better deals on loans but do I really need more debt on top of college debt? My parents are almost criticizing me for not wanting to and trying to force me into a new one... All on top of the stress of graduating. I just need some input or something.

Whoever is pressuring you to get a new car, tell them to buy it for you, you will except, then, wala, you,have a new car and they can shut up now.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Don't cave to their pressure. That's part of being a grown up, standing firm when you're right. Keep your old car, don't assume debt to suit someone else's notions. The time to get a new one is when reliability becomes a factor & you don't trust your old car to get you where you need to be, when fixing it endlessly is too aggravating.

Your door isn't held closed with a bungee cord, after all. Been there.

Congrats on your graduation.