Car ride stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

EKLC

5 Year Member
I recently moved from a home to an apartment, and while I grow grass and weeds in Leroy Brown's enclosure and have a MVB for UV-b, I want to take him out for natural sun and vigorous exercise.

The problem is, the yard of my apartment complex is sprayed for bugs monthly, and I don't want to risk taking him outside here.

There are nature parks within 5 minutes, but Leroy Brown seems to get stressed in the car. Here's my question:

If I take him on these short car rides will he become accustomed, or will it just be a reoccurring source of stress?

obligatory vid of Leroy Brown (click image)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
How do you transport him in the car. My leopard gets stressed in the car and poops like crazy! If I have to take her out I always soak her first so she will go to the bathroom and then I transport her in a dark tub with a towel over the top. It seems to help.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
My leopard has been on a few car rides and I usually keep him in a clear plastic cage (the ones at the pet store with the multi colored vented tops) and a bunch of orchard grass in the bottom. He usually stands in the front and looks around :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I use a small plastic container and filled it mostly with Aspen bedding. He just burrowed down for the ride. Covering the container ( if he is stressed) is a good idea, but for those who like to look out, go for it!
If the park is untreated and safe from dogs, the sun might be a good idea for an hour or so.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
bad bad Leroy Brown, baddest man in the whole *** town...

For some reason that song is now running in my mind. :D :p :D

When you say he get's stressed in the car, what exactly happens?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Jacqui said:

Thanks a lot. Now I can't get that song out of my head either, haha.

EKLC

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
I use a small plastic container and filled it mostly with Aspen bedding. He just burrowed down for the ride. Covering the container ( if he is stressed) is a good idea, but for those who like to look out, go for it!
If the park is untreated and safe from dogs, the sun might be a good idea for an hour or so.

yea, its a nature park, no dogs, no toxins, and noone around.

Jacqui said:

I can just tell, he is very tired afterwards, and poops on the ride sometimes.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I will try a dark travel enclosure. If anyone else has any experiences with driving their torts I appreciate the feedback

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
song stuck in my head now tooooooooo,,,,,least it is a great song :D

I think that if you try the travel in a smaller size box (so he can kinda snug in) and put a folded towel in the bottom so he has a soft and slip proof spot and then lay a towel draped over the top, and try it a few times and she if his mood improves :)

Really keep a hawks eye on him...so he does not hudini on you ....

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I took mine to the school for my son's animal show and tell day and those darn guys pooped and pooped and pooped. They don't ride in the car at all, so I must have stressed them big time. I felt bad, but if you ever have to clean their digestive systems out - just put them in the car.

D

deniseR

Animals shouldn't be taken to a stressful drive. If we, human cannot bare the stress of a stressful ride, how much more the animals? Keeping pets protected is incredibly essential. Some pet owners, however, do not concentrate on safety. Here are some fundamentals for keeping your pet protected in a car, no matter how long or how far you are driving. (spam deleted by mod)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i would not take him to a park. build him something for your patio..

If you must take him to the park. build a portable enclosure to take with you and keep him safe.. dogs, people, birds, running away.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Laura here.

I think that eventually he will get used to the car and feel less stressed about it. I know of a trucker that takes beloved pets on the road and the pets apparently adjust and thrive. However, it seems a bit much to me and Angela's Houdini reference sticks in my mind. They can disappear, or eat something, in the blink of an eye.

I would recommend that you build something on your balcony, or some other safe place. Have you seen this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Cheap-Easy-Simple-Sunning-Enclosure#axzz1VARDd1K0
Very portable and easy.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Laura said:

If you must take him to the park. build a portable enclosure to take with you and keep him safe.. dogs, people, birds, running away.....

Thing is, I don't have a patio. Also, it's not really a park, it's wilderness more or less.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
EKLC said:
Laura said:

Thing is, I don't have a patio. Also, it's not really a park, it's wilderness more or less.

Sounds like it may currently be your only option to give your tort some real sun a few times per week. It is nice that you are concerned about this.
A portable wire cage to take along?
http://www.petco.com/product/13904/Midwest-Black-E-Coat-Exercise-Pens.aspx
Probably on Amazon too

Status
Not open for further replies.