Can my tortoise like me?

vlad21

Good afternoon everyone!
This may be a stupid question so please bare with me.
Is it actually possible for your tortoise to like you? Mine seems to like us a lot, and it makes me very happy. She perks up and starts trying to get out when she hears us talking. She lets me pet her head now, and she just loves to be on one of us. I guess the reason I ask is because I've heard that with reptiles such as snakes, they never learn to "like" anyone, they just grow a tolerance for certain people. I want to know if that goes for tortoises as well. So is my tortoise just people friendly, or does she really love me?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453670652.145581.jpg here's my little gal just in case you want to see her

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
they just tolerate us. they don't really "like" us per say but they do see us as food god so they think a treat is coming they're way when they see us

and realistically they have no choice but to tolerate us what are they gonna do bite us and run away like a dog? lol

vlad21

they just tolerate us. they don't really "like" us per say but they do see us as food god so they think a treat is coming they're way when they see us

and realistically they have no choice but to tolerate us what are they gonna do bite us and run away like a dog? lol

Good point.. That's why I asked. I've heard stories of people saying that their turtles/tortoises do not like them. So I was happy to believe mine liked me but I guess she doesn't! Lol. Thanks for the help! :)

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Good point.. That's why I asked. I've heard stories of people saying that their turtles/tortoises do not like them. So I was happy to believe mine liked me but I guess she doesn't! Lol. Thanks for the help! :)

i think when people see they're tort as not liking them it's a territory thing like hey they're in my area this is mine!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can't say one way or the other 2 B honest. i do have a redfoot who does not like human males, but he sure does like the ladies.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
What a gorgeous tort! :) GOD bless.

Although I too read that reptiles do not "like" anyone I have a feeling that Oli :<3: likes me.(And I LOVE him). Whatever answers you get to your question:

a) this is not mathematics :<3: where 1+1=2
b) reptiles, like all other animals have a brain and a nervous system. :rolleyes: Therefore I believe they can like/dislike a person.;)

And a very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

vlad21

What a gorgeous tort! :) GOD bless.

Although I too read that reptiles do not "like" anyone I have a feeling that Oli :<3: likes me.(And I LOVE him). Whatever answers you get to your question:

a) this is not mathematics :<3: where 1+1=2
b) reptiles, like all other animals have a brain and a nervous system. :rolleyes: Therefore I believe they can like/dislike a person.;)

And a very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:
I think I may just stick with the idea that she loves me :) because I love her!! Thank you much!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
if you really want to know how much your tortoise can and cannot like you read up on the reptile brain and see whether or not they can form connections.

M

Maggie Cummings

If you'll do a search and look up Bob stories, you'll see a person and a tortoise that are so bonded it's obvious to others. I socialized Bob from the time he was 3. He went everywhere. He became quite popular in Corvallis. More people knew Bob than me, they always asked, 'Are you Bob's mother?" He went to OSU Pet Days. Petco had him come at Christmas, get your pix taken with Bob for $5 or Santa for $10, all proceeds to Senior Dog Rescue. He did that for about 9 years.

A couple of weeks ago some guy came up to me in the Safeway and asked, "You bringing Bob to Santa this year? My kids have 4 years of pictures of them with Bob, they are so looking forward to it. I started crying, left my groceries and came home.
Petco, hung black crepe streamers and Bob's picture on Christmas. The freakingest thing you ever saw. Groups of kids crying, frankly, I'm damned sorry I went. Bob touched more people than I can even imagine....strangers are still asking me about him.
The hardest thing I have ever gone thru. But anyone who says torts don't have emotion for us just hasn't tried to bond with their animal. Bob's bond with me was visible. But we worked at it for 15 years. I know I was his food Goddess.

img_4631-jpg.162069

M

Maggie Cummings

they just tolerate us. they don't really "like" us per say but they do see us as food god so they think a treat is coming they're way when they see us and realistically they have no choice but to tolerate us what are they gonna do bite us and run away like a dog? lol

I disagree big time....I had a 15 yr bond with Bob, ask anyone on this forum, they will all tell you it was obvious. Plus, read the Bob stories, see for yourself.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I disagree big time....I had a 15 yr bond with Bob, ask anyone on this forum, they will all tell you it was obvious. Plus, read the Bob stories, see for yourself.

i've read your thread on bob you and him had a very rare unique relationship kinda like the guy with the snapper that seems to seek attention very rare but amazing none the less

but i don't think that apply's to everyone most of us are simply tolerated as food god

M

Maggie Cummings

i've read your thread on bob you and him had a very rare unique relationship kinda like the guy with the snapper that seems to seek attention very rare but amazing none the less

but i don't think that apply's to everyone most of us are simply tolerated as food god
Thank you. I know what we had was special, I don't hope to have that kind of relationship with another animal.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think it depends on how you define "like." My tort comes to me and appears "happy" to see me. I think it is a mixture of curiosity and knowing that past encounters with me have been positive. I think he likes me as much as he is capable. He can tell the difference between me and someone else, and he treats me differently than a stranger. I think you can cultivate the relationship with your tort and it will be rewarding for both of you.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
If you'll do a search and look up Bob stories, you'll see a person and a tortoise that are so bonded it's obvious to others. I socialized Bob from the time he was 3. He went everywhere. He became quite popular in Corvallis. More people knew Bob than me, they always asked, 'Are you Bob's mother?" He went to OSU Pet Days. Petco had him come at Christmas, get your pix taken with Bob for $5 or Santa for $10, all proceeds to Senior Dog Rescue. He did that for about 9 years.

A couple of weeks ago some guy came up to me in the Safeway and asked, "You bringing Bob to Santa this year? My kids have 4 years of pictures of them with Bob, they are so looking forward to it. I started crying, left my groceries and came home.
Petco, hung black crepe streamers and Bob's picture on Christmas. The freakingest thing you ever saw. Groups of kids crying, frankly, I'm damned sorry I went. Bob touched more people than I can even imagine....strangers are still asking me about him.
The hardest thing I have ever gone thru. But anyone who says torts don't have emotion for us just hasn't tried to bond with their animal. Bob's bond with me was visible. But we worked at it for 15 years. I know I was his food Goddess.

img_4631-jpg.162069
Oh my! This makes me cry! I'm so sorry for you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I feed my tortoises. I clean my tortoises. I do everything for my tortoises. my wife couldn't care less. However, one of my tortoises, (Julio) Clearly is in love with my wife.
I also had a big male RF that wanted to be held and sit in my lap. Food or not and would pace his pen if he ever saw my through a window.
There are some unusual and unique relationships in the tortoise world.
I think that not all of them fit into the logical spectrum.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
My tortoise went through a phase where he was flashing his weewee.... But only to me, NEVER to my husband. I'd say he 'liked' me then! Ewww

In general though, I do believe that with enough time and care, it is possible to form a bond that transcends the simple 'tolerate the food god' bond!

W Shaw

Honestly, I think that people who say that reptiles don't bond are just stuck in a 30-year-old mindset. I know more about rattlesnake research than tortoise research. 30 years ago, people thought rattlesnake couldn't bond and had nothing going on in their brains but instinctive predatory behavior. We now know that they show strong maternal bonding. We know that siblings maintain lifelong affectionate bonds, and that individuals within a den have friends they spend significantly more time with and individuals they avoid, We also know that they're capable of advance planning.

When I looked for similar research on tortoises, I didn't find much. For the most part, no one's bothered to do the research, and in fact, one of the first things I came across was an article commenting on the fact that, despite the current trend toward studying social behavior, tortoises as a whole have been "largely ignored." So at the moment, their social behavior has simply not gotten the attention that other species have, and until they do, the "old guard" will continue to maintain that they're just little machines. The same argument that has been used throughout history to justify treating nonhuman critters like typewriters. It's very inconvenient for humans to be forced to think of the psychological well-being of other species, so there will always be resistance to research suggesting they're sentient, feeling beings.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
calling them sentient is a big big big big big big big big big big big stretch big stretch

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
biiiiiiiiig stretch

vlad21

img_4631-jpg.162069
:') that is so sweet