Strong desire to EAT me!

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston / Webster, TX
Hey guys, I got a problem! So my Darwin is 28 months old. She is now 13 pounds and 14 inches. She has always been calm and allowed me to touch her face and showed no interest in biting me but as of this last week, SHE WANT'S TO EAT ME! She tries to get my fingers at every opportunity and as soon as she sees my bare feet, she will break out into a mind blowing full tortoise sprint to get to me, just to try and bite my toes! She is getting kinda big and I imagine a bite to be pretty painful? So is this an age thing, or a "forgive me ladies" a female thing or has she just learned to hate me like my 2 ex wives did? Sniff sniff...

165472_10154561734625231_5347644212394737961_n.jpg 983814_10154561734750231_8354585171873449575_n.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
All absolutely normal....I mean, if you were a tort and that five toe was moving in on you, you would take after it also.....

If you have ever hand fed the tort...there is the association of hand/food...not to worry...it is normal....if you know someone who paints their toes, send em out into the yard (for fun, well, fun for you and the tort that is)....see how the tort reacts to the painted five toe....lol...

Louise C

Edinburgh, Scotland
Gosh...she could easily take your toe off! I'm not sure about tortoise behaviour myself but my two guesses are either it's a dominance thing or she's craving protein! I'd wear shoes from now on and see if she get's over her bitey phase.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I posted a while ago about tortoises biting and it met with scrutiny. My very friendly adult Redfoot loves to bite shoes, feet, whatever. The topic was about children being safe around them. My point was that if a child was holding one and got bitten, the child would drop the tortoise. Now, I don't mean that tortoises are evil or dangerous, but some do bite.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Luckily? my sulcata has never given me the taste test! I would wear enclosed shoes for a while... just to be safe :p!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I posted a while ago about tortoises biting and it met with scrutiny. My very friendly adult Redfoot loves to bite shoes, feet, whatever. The topic was about children being safe around them. My point was that if a child was holding one and got bitten, the child would drop the tortoise. Now, I don't mean that tortoises are evil or dangerous, but some do bite.

Anyone who hosts a tortoise or turtle clearly knows that they "can" bite...some are down right aggressive...so for someone to offer scrutiny for laying mention to a tort biting---well, is simply silly---they can and do....some will even chase you down to take a taste....lol....luckily we are quicker than they are...

Toe biting is totally normal and should be expected, especially during nice weather when the all elusive five toe is out and about alot....and in no way does this mean a tort is evil....however, to a small unattended child, yes--some large species can be dangerous---hell, the really big guys can do damage to an adult....does this mean a tort is plotting to kill you---lol....I would think not....

Just remember, they are sneaky and quiet---so they can be all over you before you notice....all the while drooling at the mouth at house tasty those little wiggly things are....

Alaskamike

South Florida
I have a young sully I recently rescued a small one , 2.5 lbs. I was feeding him on my lanai and had my 2 leopard torts out to eat too., 8 mos old They had their own little pile close to the sully. Well one of the leopards Musta thought the sully's pile was better and walked over to take a bite of it. The sully bit the leopards head.
I reacted pretty fast. No damage done, but this not only taught me a lesson , but reminded me how aggressive sulcata can be. They are not alone in this behavior, any tort is capable, but sulcata are famouse for territorial protection

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Well one of the leopards Musta thought the sully's pile was better and walked over to take a bite of it. The sully bit the leopards head.
I'm picturing this and cant help but laugh... its like a kid getting mad another kid took something so they bite them (or slap etc depending on the kid).

Nank accidentally bit my finger once, I was holding a tomtato treat so it wouldn't roll away and in his excitement he missed and chomped my finger and drew blood, but he's a little Russian so I can't image a large tortoise bite!
When I wear nail polish in a color Nank likes he'll nip at my finger and stuff but never actually chomp down like that time with the tomato.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
My tortoise tries to taste everything! He never used to but I'm assuming since he was still getting used to being around me and a new home. He tries to eat my toes, tags hanging off pillows or blankets, one time he even tried to bite my turtle beach headset! I have yet to actually get bitten though!

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
mine will if i try to hand feed he will walk round the food and go right for the fingers. i wondered if it was his way of saying you have hold of my food and i don't like it. not sure if he would go for toes i'll find out tomorrow lol

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Marv is obsessed with my toes. Anytime he thinks he can sneak up on me, he gives it all he has. As for the trail run with the toenails being polished, Marv prefers the brighter colors over the darker ones. When I have bright colored polish on he has a little extra speed in his step. I just always keep it in mind that if I don't watch, he will take one off. So far everything is still intact.

aztortoisegal

has she just learned to hate me like my 2 ex wives did? Sniff sniff...
:p:p:p:p:p

I wear bright red sparkly nail polish on my toes, always have. And my little Sulcata definitely tries to take a bite out of my toes when I'm in there raking up his pen, or hanging out with him. I decided to just let him try while he's still so small, maybe get it out of his system for when he gets bigger and can really cause some damage.

And I noticed he can trot along, not at all a slow and dopey creature, he sticks his head up and plows right along with me when I put him out in the front yard, he practically runs!

aztortoisegal

has she just learned to hate me like my 2 ex wives did? Sniff sniff...

I wear bright red sparkly nail polish on my toes, always have. And my little Sulcata definitely tries to take a bite out of my toes when I'm in there raking up his pen, or hanging out with him. I decided to just let him try while he's still so small, maybe get it out of his system for when he gets bigger and can really cause some damage.

And I noticed he can trot along, not at all a slow and dopey creature, he sticks his head up and plows right along with me when I put him out in the front yard, he practically runs!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
@ALDABRAMAN , I believe that Greg once shared here what can happen when one of the big guys gets you pinned between them and something else....for some reason I believe I recall a share from Greg on a damaged part....?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm picturing this and cant help but laugh... its like a kid getting mad another kid took something so they bite them (or slap etc depending on the kid).

Nank accidentally bit my finger once, I was holding a tomtato treat so it wouldn't roll away and in his excitement he missed and chomped my finger and drew blood, but he's a little Russian so I can't image a large tortoise bite!
When I wear nail polish in a color Nank likes he'll nip at my finger and stuff but never actually chomp down like that time with the tomato.
:D:D
My russian HAS mistaken green nail polish for something yummy! It doesn't though, and when he does it, it's completely accidental... (I hope:eek: )

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA

Oh, yeah! Tortoises are not AT ALL slow and dopey,as their 'classic' image portrays.
Just wait till he gets bigger... and those occasional little 'taps' start to hurt! :p