Can my tortoise eat Saguaro cactus?

Fish Breath

Location (City and/or State)
NY
I have had a tortoise for over 8 years, a little RT that seems to never grow, and I also had a saguaro that I would like to plant in his cage. Is this possible? Btw the cactus is .4 ft by 2.3 ft.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I really doubt that your RT would march over to your Saguaro and chomp on it and eat it up. They arent the friendliest cactus plants to munch on compared to spineless opuntia pads.

I think you noted in another thread on the pond.....that your Saguaro is pretty large. Your RT might even be afraid of it!

Fish Breath

NY
I really doubt that your RT would march over to your Saguaro and chomp on it and eat it up. They arent the friendliest cactus plants to munch on compared to spineless opuntia pads.

I think you noted in another thread on the pond.....that your Saguaro is pretty large. Your RT might even be afraid of it!
Ok...so no 2 foot cactus in the enclosure? Is it possible to still put it in? Even if my tortoise can’t eat it? Also what are other good cactuses to put in

Fish Breath

NY

Here’s a pic: D4AB5012-8101-49AE-A904-A89475A3742A.jpeg
Can I put this in his enclosure?

L

LasTortugasNinja

I wouldn't, personally. Torts aren't graceful, and I wouldn't want a possible eye scratch or gouging. There are much better options.
Protected?
It's a federally protected plant species, and there are laws for those that plant them, even as house plants. For example, in AZ, once you plant it in your yard, you need a permit to move it, and must follow state laws and procedures to move it.

It's a beautiful plant that you have. I would just find a safer option and put that with the tort. Let that saguaro grow. Put it in a bigger, wider pot. Their roots don't grow deep, they grow out (as much as 12 to 15 feet in 8" of soil), supporting the plant and pulling surface water. That tiny pot will stunt the plant's growth and eventually kill it.

Fish Breath

NY
I wouldn't, personally. Torts aren't graceful, and I wouldn't want a possible eye scratch or gouging. There are much better options.

It's a federally protected plant species, and there are laws for those that plant them, even as house plants. For example, in AZ, once you plant it in your yard, you need a permit to move it, and must follow state laws and procedures to move it.

It's a beautiful plant that you have. I would just find a safer option and put that with the tort. Let that saguaro grow. Put it in a bigger, wider pot. Their roots don't grow deep, they grow out (as much as 12 to 15 feet in 8" of soil), supporting the plant and pulling surface water. That tiny pot will stunt the plant's growth and eventually kill it.
It might not be a saguaro actually; I posted another thread asking what cactus it is; I’ve kept it for 6 years and it hasn’t grown more than 1/2 a foot...

L

LasTortugasNinja

It might not be a saguaro actually; I posted another thread asking what cactus it is; I’ve kept it for 6 years and it hasn’t grown more than 1/2 a foot...
Well, a cactus' roots match the surface height. A 15ft tall cactus will have a 15ft spread of roots. Get a nice wide but shallow pot. 3ft x 2ft. You'll see beautiful blooms and a nice, healthy growth. Cactus are fantastic plants to have. They take a little work, but they are gorgeous and hearty even for those without a green thumb.

Fish Breath

NY
Well, a cactus' roots match the surface height. A 15ft tall cactus will have a 15ft spread of roots. Get a nice wide but shallow pot. 3ft x 2ft. You'll see beautiful blooms and a nice, healthy growth. Cactus are fantastic plants to have. They take a little work, but they are gorgeous and hearty even for those without a green thumb.
Thanks!

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
That poor Saguaro needs some serious intense sunlight?! Will never grow correctly indoors. Actually should be cut off where it is fattest and let regrow in the sun. I bring mine indoors in rainy/wintery months, keep in sunniest window and do not water until back outdoors. Skinny top can be rooted and grown for a new plant. Collecting these in native habitat is a crime but buying or growing seedlings or captive propagated plants is OK as far as I know. I bought mine as a small pot plant here in about 1980 or so.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
"It might not be a saguaro actually; I posted another thread asking what cactus it is; I’ve kept it for 6 years and it hasn’t grown more than 1/2 a foot... "
Actually below the abnormal growth it looks almost exactly like mine does. Since I got it it has grown to about 40"(?). And it's a BEAR to carry out and back inside. AND it is only carried with a double layer of cardboard around the whole plant secured by bungee cords. I learned the hard and painful way.

Fish Breath

NY
Actually below the abnormal growth it looks almost exactly like mine does. Since I got it it has grown to about 40"(?). And it's a BEAR to carry out and back inside. AND it is only carried with a double layer of cardboard around the whole plant secured by bungee cords. I learned the hard and painful way.
I think it’s a scarlet hedgehog cactus actually; tell me if I’m wrong, but it looks like one. I carry it by the pot and a thick cloth on one side. The spikes are 1’ inch long and 1/8 cm thick. I live in NY, so it might need some extra light. I’ll put it next to my torts lamp for a while to help