I need a recommendation re: prickly pear cactus

Thundersnow

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Good morning,
I want to grow my own prickly pear cactus for my Indian Star tort.If anyone can recommend a place where I can buy a PLANT in a pot(not cuttings/pads) that is safe for a 3 month old baby can safely eat. I did get a couple of baggies of the dried prickly pear cactus from Kapidolo Farms. I would like to grow my own. Thanks

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Good morning,
I want to grow my own prickly pear cactus for my Indian Star tort.If anyone can recommend a place where I can buy a PLANT in a pot(not cuttings/pads) that is safe for a 3 month old baby can safely eat. I did get a couple of baggies of the dried prickly pear cactus from Kapidolo Farms. I would like to grow my own. Thanks
Don't you know anyone who has them? I root cuttings and they grow the first year...Has your baby eaten them? I ask because I have adult tortoises and non, including Mary Knobbins, will eat them...mine...
100_0208.JPG
100_0207.JPG
100_0209.JPG
100_0201.JPG
I've got 10 pots with cactus, Being as the torts won't eat them, and I get stuck frequently. I merely try to enjoy the blooms...I'd find a small cactus at the big box stores, Home Depot or Lowe's...so you get a small cactus and offer some to your baby and see if she'll eat it...

Thundersnow

Kentucky
My goodness you certainly do have many cactus. No not where I live no one has them that i know of.I did buy four pads and one was rotton.I was ripped off really bad by the seller.I saved one partially rotted pad.I cut off the rot and let it scab over.I put it in a pot filled this a cactus soil mixture.I don't know if it will ever grow

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
Mine couldn't be less interested in them either. I think you were unlucky and might want to try online again. I bought 1kg for next to nothing. Maybe 10 pads. After trying to feed in various manners for weeks, I eventually planted them and they immediately started growing fast. I kept them in newspaper and they sprouted little anaemic white sprouts while the pads were still firm and seemingly edible weeks later.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Mexican grocery stores usually have them.

Maca

Swindon, Wilts
Good morning,
I got mine from the tortoise hut xx

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
Good morning,
They are very easy to grow. I live in Northern Virginia and I think this is the northern/humidity limit for them. But I see a bunch of these plants all over that survived the winter.

I lived in New Mexico for a while and the prickly pear cactus is insane!

DO NOT FOOL YOUR SELF. These plants can do real damage to humans but not to your Tortoise.