cactus soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Got some questions for you cactus experts. I have some spinless cactus pads (from coastal) that i planted in Miracle grow cactus soil (has fertilizer in it). They are growing great, But I would like to get them in to an organic soil or somthing that is safe for my tort to eat the new pads after a few months. So, what is the best soil to use for the cactus our torts eat? Or is the cactus soil safe even tho it has ferilizer in it?(soil is about 3 1/2 months old) I wouldnt think it would be safe but i just want to get everyones option and what is your experence with it. Thanks!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
What do you think of the pads grown with the cactus soil? no good, dont feed them?

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Mine are just grown in some organic soil by miracle grow without any fertilizer in it... seems to grow fine.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I would think that they advertise it,with fertilizers to make it sound like something special, since most cactus plants don't require any fertilizers at all,(maybe a soil change) that there is not enough of any harmful ingredients in the soil to bother a tortoise eating new growth from a plant.I grow mine in clay,rocks ,and seashells when planted right in the ground, but if I mix soil I use one shovel full of the clay,rock,shell mix,(whats here) two shovels full of peat moss, and three shovels full of sand and mix in a cement mixer,and they seem to do fine with this soil mix. Len

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have found that my cactus grow better in well drained soil than using cactus soil...

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I use a mix of topsoil/compost, vermiculite, and perlite.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I use the soil from my yard. Well drained of course. I tell everyone I give pads to, DO NOT USE potting soil. I do use potting soil for every other plant I have.

I think cactus soil is a waste of money. But that is just an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.