Can I build a tortoise enclosure with a pond in it?

Fish Breath

Location (City and/or State)
NY
I plan to build a new tortoise enclosure for my little RT and now I’m here asking: could I possibly build it next to a pond? Could the pond be a foot deep? If so, can RTs swim? I’m quite curious, and I also may plant a prickly pear cactus and a saguaro cactus in his enclosure, if it’s possible, the prickly from pads, and the saguaro from 2.3 ft tall and .4 ft wide. Please respond soon

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcatas and leopards can float and swim, but I've never tried a Russian. Fill up your bath tub and try it. Even if it can swim, I would not make the water more than about two inches deep for an adult sized Russian. Your tortoise will most likely avoid the water in any case. Russians usually hate water. I've never had any other species as resistant to being soaked.

I don't think a Saguaro will survive in NY, not indoors or out. You might get opuntia to survive if you keep it in a pot and bring it inside in winter. If you let the tortoise have access to a newly planted pad, it will probably eat it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Opuntia cactus will grow in some areas of New York state. Eastern Prickly Pear cactus is native to coastal Long Island, New Jersey, Delaware and south. Many of the Opuntia grow well outdoors in the lower Hudson Valley. I am in the northern Catskills and have had a patch of Eastern Prickly Pear growing here outdoors, in the ground for over 15 years. I cover them in the winter but other than that don't do anything for them. They blossom with bright yellow flowers annually.

Fish Breath

NY
Sulcatas and leopards can float and swim, but I've never tried a Russian. Fill up your bath tub and try it. Even if it can swim, I would not make the water more than about two inches deep for an adult sized Russian. Your tortoise will most likely avoid the water in any case. Russians usually hate water. I've never had any other species as resistant to being soaked.

I don't think a Saguaro will survive in NY, not indoors or out. You might get opuntia to survive if you keep it in a pot and bring it inside in winter. If you let the tortoise have access to a newly planted pad, it will probably eat it.
I’ve already managed to keep it alive for years by now, the saguaro, but the real question is if I could plant it or not in my RTs enclosure. I guess I could try the prickly pear too, thanks for that, and I really appreciate your knowledge and for helping me

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I put a small fountain in my Redfoots enclosure and it immediately became a toilet bowl. It got so clogged up on daily I finally just gave up on having it after about two weeks.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
I'm sure at some point wild russian tortoises encounter streams and lakes and avoid drowning, but I wouldn't chance it.