Can anyone identify?

M

Maggie Cummings

He's about a year old Sulcata. He's got to be someone's pet. Did you do every thing possible to find an owner? All the phone calls, cops, SPCA, newspaper etc? This species does NOT hibernate and must be kept warm during the winter.
I'd give him a nice warm soak and a pile of weeds, blooms and leaves, or Spring Mix and figure out what your gonna do.
You do know that this species gets to be 150 to 200 pounds and live for 250 years don't you? He needs a special light, and house, and humidity and and and lots of stuff....I'll get a link for you so you can make a decision..

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/

tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan

MillieSmalls

Thanks for the info. I had a desert tort and someone stole him from the yard. We put signs all over the neighborhood and a woman called saying she found him...turns out this one was walking in her yard. Didn't find mine but put up signs saying "found" tort.....no responses. I'm aware how big they get...that's ok. I miss my desert tort and know these have different care requirements

Shakudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Thanks for the info. I had a desert tort and someone stole him from the yard. We put signs all over the neighborhood and a woman called saying she found him...turns out this one was walking in her yard. Didn't find mine but put up signs saying "found" tort.....no responses. I'm aware how big they get...that's ok. I miss my desert tort and know these have different care requirements

How nice that another tort has crossed your path:) perhaps it was meant to be.
If you have tried everything you could to find the owner, I think you might have a new tortoise on your hand.
I really hope this one doesn't get stolen, perhaps, you could take extra precautions?
There is a lot of info on Sullys here on the forum. So I wish you the best of luck with your new tort.

Joey