Can anyone ID this guy?

K8E K

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
N. CA
upload_2017-8-1_11-6-56.pngNot a great picture, it's taken from craigslist: any ideas on species? almost looks boxie to me?

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
right? Ok, I think it's a gulf coast, but I'm not positive either. They're thinking it's a redfoot (noo).

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
right? Ok, I think it's a gulf coast, but I'm not positive either. They're thinking it's a redfoot (noo).
I'm punishing myself by looking at craiglist listings for tortoises (last week there was a slider- not sure what type- listed as a tortoise and housed in a dry tank- they said it "enjoys it's weekly soaks"). *sigh* It's nearly always depressing.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
can you take more pics? easier for us to ID the guy. From above, from the side, count toes on the hind feet.

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
can you take more pics? easier for us to ID the guy. From above, from the side, count toes on the hind feet.
I wish I could, it's actually a craigslist posting selling a "red foot tortoise". I gave the owners heads up that it wasn't a redfoot- but it's hard to know in these situations what's-what. They might just be trying to make a bit of money.

I've had so many "turtles" brought to me under varying ID's (once, a western pond turtle picked up from it's habitat because it was a "lost tortoise") I've made a bit of a habit of checking craigslist and sending (I hope friendly, non-threatening) notes. Hopefully I don't put anyone well intentioned on the defensive, I'd just want to know if I was caring for a Russian like a water turtle, or..whatever :) I also just appreciate the exercise of trying to at least generally ID, but I'm not very confident about it, and so I like being able to double check here because here IS THE BEST! :)

Stevieturtlelady

Texas
I think that's a Russian tortoise it's not a box turtle box turtles have a more round shell and do not have that much color

Stevieturtlelady

Texas
It is probably a box turtle but I'm not sure what kind it's not an American box turtle

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I do the same thing....i check Craigslist often. It's sad sometimes. The first one I saw was a 4 year old sulcata the size of a small hamburger. I asked the guy if he meant 4 months and he haughtily told me he knows how old his tortoise is. Lol. poor tort.

Stevieturtlelady

Texas
Haha! Aww. I feel bad when people give away there SULCATA ! There such sweet loving animals but I understand when people can't take care of them .

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
I think we have consensus: three toed :) @teresaf thanks for making me feel better about doing that...it's good to know I'm not the only one :)

Freckles24

TN
7025c18e37e84c7e9ba83670cb494604.jpg

I regret my decision to look on craigslist. They literally painted the RES's shell. Also in my state you cannot buy or sell if the plastron is less than 4" so this is illegal.

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
7025c18e37e84c7e9ba83670cb494604.jpg

I regret my decision to look on craigslist. They literally painted the RES's shell. Also in my state you cannot buy or sell if the plastron is less than 4" so this is illegal.
ugh. Such a bummer.