Can a male be too big to mate a adult female sulcata?

brano1999

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Male is about 3 feet from the front of the shell where the head is to the back where the tail is, not sure of his weight but he's over 20 years old we were actually planning to borrow him for stud services our females are over 5 years old close to 10 and about half his size if not a bit smaller if you'd like I can attach a pic of the girls and the male.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why would you want to purposely mate a sulcata? There are so many of them already and so many that need homes because people that buy the cute little hatchling, don't realize how much room they will need, how big they get and how destructive they can be
To properly start them, you will be an expensive closed chamber, proper lighting, heat and humidity.
But to answer your question, @Tom is probably the best to give the info
Pictures would help a lot.

brano1999

Florida
Maybe where your from but I'm from a Caribbean country where there are very few we keep ours out in the back yard in an enclosure so they roam freely, as for the temperature it seems just right for them here but we do keep hatchlings inside and monitored. We also incubate when we know they have laid as there was a time when our redfoots had laid eggs and we didnt notice until little redfoot hatchlings were running around. The male is the one in the first 2 pics female is the last one i will take more of the female later to give a better idea of the size.IMG-20240506-WA0031.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20240506-WA0030.jpg
    IMG-20240506-WA0030.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240502_095145.jpg
    20240502_095145.jpg
    613.7 KB · Views: 1

brano1999

Florida
Both females have laid around 2-3 clutches in the past 2 years but we have no male so all eggs are infertile and we've had them from hatchlings so we know they haven't been in contact with a male, as I've read that they are able to keep the sperm for up to a year after mating or something like that correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

• 20240506_182832.jpg
    20240506_182832.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240506_182819.jpg
    20240506_182819.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240506_182827.jpg
    20240506_182827.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Male is about 3 feet from the front of the shell where the head is to the back where the tail is, not sure of his weight but he's over 20 years old we were actually planning to borrow him for stud services our females are over 5 years old close to 10 and about half his size if not a bit smaller if you'd like I can attach a pic of the girls and the male.
To answer your question, no, the male can't be too big, but the female can be too small. What size is the female? I wouldn't breed her until she is at least 22-24 inches and 50-60 pounds.

brano1999

Florida
Ok thanks alot yeah they're definitely too small our girls are about half that size they're about 1 foot we saw the size difference and was worried about the weight of the male on them he's atleast 100lbs and they're maybe in the 20s

brano1999

Florida
But this answers my question perfectly thanks for the advice and the swift response Tom and Wellington I appreciate the help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
But this answers my question perfectly thanks for the advice and the swift response Tom and Wellington I appreciate the help.
You are welcome. If you breed them too early, it stunts their growth, and there is a serious risk of them getting egg bound. If they are immature, the presence of the male will only serve to intimidate them.

brano1999

Florida
Ok good to know I'll keep that in mind currently we don't own any males so we should be fine, we would only borrow that male in a few years when they get bigger

brano1999

Florida
No problem don't worry about it I know anything related to animals can get touchy when you truly have a passion and love for them. I also I have one more question we rescued a sulcata but he doesn't seem to be growing or eating well the people who had him said he's about 5 years old now and he's still jus a little bigger than a hatchling he's about 4 inches which seems odd seeing that we have 1 a bit younger or around that age that's almost 8 inches. he's also missing a leg they said he survived a dog attack but the leg had to be amputated we soak him every day in warm water and feed him a variety of fruits vegs and mazuri, the vegetables include kale, lettuce, tomatoes, blackberry or mulberry leaves and other than that they get the muberries and blackberries bananas and Papaya along with the mazuri. We keep both of these guys seperate from the adults outside and bring them in at night to monitor them any advice on why he isn't growing or are we not feeding him the right stuff? They also get calcium sprinkled over the food occasionally

Attachments

• 20240506_201043.jpg
    20240506_201043.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240506_201028.jpg
    20240506_201028.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240506_201032.jpg
    20240506_201032.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

brano1999

Florida
Oh yeah my bad we've had him for about a year so not sure what he was eating previously or care

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No problem don't worry about it I know anything related to animals can get touchy when you truly have a passion and love for them. I also I have one more question we rescued a sulcata but he doesn't seem to be growing or eating well the people who had him said he's about 5 years old now and he's still jus a little bigger than a hatchling he's about 4 inches which seems odd seeing that we have 1 a bit younger or around that age that's almost 8 inches. he's also missing a leg they said he survived a dog attack but the leg had to be amputated we soak him every day in warm water and feed him a variety of fruits vegs and mazuri, the vegetables include kale, lettuce, tomatoes, blackberry or mulberry leaves and other than that they get the muberries and blackberries bananas and Papaya along with the mazuri. We keep both of these guys seperate from the adults outside and bring them in at night to monitor them any advice on why he isn't growing or are we not feeding him the right stuff? They also get calcium sprinkled over the food occasionally
They should never be fed fruit. The small size is likely because people don't start them correctly. The dog attack didn't help either.

Most of the care info you find for this species is all wrong. Take a look at this and check out the sulcata care sheet near the bottom. It is for people new to the forum, not necessarily new to tortoises:

brano1999

Florida
Ok thank you yes I realized there isn't enough info on Google to really help and they are very rare here so not much to go off but Google we dont even have vets here that really know enough about them to help they can treat them if they get hurt but not offer advice on care other than basics. Thanks alot will look into it right away