adult sulcata

Razan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Riverside, CA
Now we can stop driving around the block to feed him at the neighbor's house. He is finally coming to his NEW home !
More neighbors watched and helped. This has been a community effort. Sherman the tortoise was pulled along in the swimming pool out of the car, through the gates, down a slope ...

2015_0531March20150827.JPG

...down to the "lower orchard" where his corral awaits.

2015_0531March20150832.JPG

2015_0531March20150789.JPG

He seems to like it.

2015_0531March20150839.JPG

OK, he looks a bit grumpy in this particular photo. It is it just poor lighting or is he REALLY ticked off? I'll post a smiling tortoise in a couple days when he is settled in better. Gotcha day can be stressful on a tortoise.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Now we can stop driving around the block to feed him at the neighbor's house. He is finally coming to his NEW home !
More neighbors watched and helped. This has been a community effort. Sherman the tortoise was pulled along in the swimming pool out of the car, through the gates, down a slope ...

View attachment 134644

...down to the "lower orchard" where his corral awaits.

View attachment 134645

View attachment 134647

He seems to like it.

View attachment 134648

OK, he looks a bit grumpy in this particular photo. It is it just poor lighting or is he REALLY ticked off? I'll post a smiling tortoise in a couple days when he is settled in better. Gotcha day can be stressful on a tortoise.

This makes my eyes leak. I am a CA girl and this is SO Riverside. Lots of love in that community. What an awesome thing for the ENTIRE neighborhood. He doesn't look grumpy to me. He looks proud. "Don't mess with my new digs" face if I ever saw one. :<3:

Good job. Good job.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I agree with Dawn, he looks like he thinks he is king of the world! And why wouldn't he? Look at all the work he made the crazy humans do for him. ;)

Seriously, what you have done is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing the journey.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Sherman is settling in. He seems happier already.

Plenty of food. Lots of variety.

2015_0622June-27-20152035.JPG Plenty of space for roaming.

A neato personal tortoise house, thanks to2015_0622June-27-20151997.JPGTom and his threads on night boxes. 2015_0622June-27-20152091.JPG Sherman really likes his house.
2015_0622June-27-20152071.JPG

He likes to pool too. Suddenly the pool looks way too small for him.

2015_0622June-27-20152109.JPG
He is also loving being sprinkled with the hose. Now he is wondering what the heck we are going to do next.2015_0622June-27-20152050.JPG

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Sweet boy!! Look at that mug!! Makes you wanna kiss him and hug him and hold him (which he would hate...lol)

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Sweet boy!! Look at that mug!! Makes you wanna kiss him and hug him and hold him (which he would hate...lol)

um... YEAH !, he would hate a lot of what I would do if he would like it too. Have you seen the ( for tortoises ) knit dinosaur costumes? Gees he would really hate that and maybe cook in it, but they are hilarious. He does let me rub his shell and limbs which passes for good tort luvins.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
um... YEAH !, he would hate a lot of what I would do if he would like it too. Have you seen the ( for tortoises ) knit dinosaur costumes? Gees he would really hate that and maybe cook in it, but they are hilarious. He does let me rub his shell and limbs which passes for good tort luvins.

MossyTortoise makes them! Aren't they adorable. She is actually on the forum (and uber creative!) @biochemnerd808

Sfok09

Naples, FL
I found this thread to be extremely helpful. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. What kind of wood did you end up using for the fence?