adult sulcata

Razan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Riverside, CA
Neighbors are giving us an adult sulcata about 40 yrs old. Will he be ok with a chain link fence or should we re-enforce it before his arrival. Any suggestions since there is a lot of fencing ? Also part of the area includes orange orchards and fruit trees. Will falling fruit be a health issue if he eats this ? Thanks for any info you can share !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, lucky you. The fruit should be picked up if possible and don't let him have it. It won't kill him, but it really is not healthy for him. As for the fence, @Tom or @Yvonne G can help you with that.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
cinder block will serve the purpose of fences and blocking that big torts from get into the fruit trees. But let us wait for the expert to answer the question.

I sure love to see a photo of this torts when you get him. And why they are gave him away??

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Wow, lucky you. The fruit should be picked up if possible and don't let him have it. It won't kill him, but it really is not healthy for him. As for the fence, @Tom or @Yvonne G can help you with that.
Thanks. We will be more diligent about picking up the fallen fruit.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
cinder block will serve the purpose of fences and blocking that big torts from get into the fruit trees. But let us wait for the expert to answer the question.

I sure love to see a photo of this torts when you get him. And why they are gave him away??
They are giving him away because their adult child has moved leaving behind his pet. It has been a LONG time. We are delighted to take him (or her) into our care. Will the sulcata be ok with a desert tortoise in 1/4 acre to share?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
BTW.....Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure about the sharing 1/4 of an acre. Means I think it maybe OK. If I have 1/4 acre and have only one Desert Tortoise and one Sulcata. But will be very easy to use cinder block to separating them just in case.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Chain link is not good I saw a large sulcata that had gotten it head stuck under the fence and couldn't pull it back, It got cut up very bad. Plus it will stress them out.
THANKS for the warning. I read sulcata will try to walk through whatever they can see through. We will need to work on this fencing issue.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
BTW.....Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure about the sharing 1/4 of an acre. Means I think it maybe OK. If I have 1/4 acre and have only one Desert Tortoise and one Sulcata. But will be very easy to use cinder block to separating them just in case.
Thanks for good advise. When our desert wakes up this spring we will introduce them gradually and be prepared to separate them. Maybe the 2 will be named Wallace and Grommit. Sulcata being called Wallace. We cannot seem to settle on tortoise names.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Thanks for good advise. When our desert wakes up this spring we will introduce them gradually and be prepared to separate them. Maybe the 2 will be named Wallace and Grommit. Sulcata being called Wallace. We cannot seem to settle on tortoise names.
DO NOT LET THEM MEET. The exchange of diseases between the two species can kill both tortoises.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Lots people will quarantine the new torts up to 6 months just to make sure. So introduce them gradually are an good idea. But mix species are not a good idea.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum!

I used to feed my tort tomatoes (which it loves), but was adviced not to, so I stopped. So I'd suggest to keep your tort away from fruits.

:tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neighbors are giving us an adult sulcata about 40 yrs old. Will he be ok with a chain link fence or should we re-enforce it before his arrival. Any suggestions since there is a lot of fencing ? Also part of the area includes orange orchards and fruit trees. Will falling fruit be a health issue if he eats this ? Thanks for any info you can share !

Hello and welcome.
They need a visual barrier. If they can see through fencing, they will likely hurt themselves, and most big sulcatas will be able to push through or under the chain link. You can line the bottom with 16" plywood strips. This will give you 24' per sheet of plywood, or you can line the whole area with 3 rows of cinder block or slumpstone block.
Here is how I do mine:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/enclosure-expansion.38788/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-burrows.50846/

I would not allow access to fallen fruit. This might mean you need to make a cinderblock ring around each of these trees. It will be a great place to grow grass and weeds to feed him. Eating a pice or two now and then is not good for them, but should do major damage either. Gorging themselves on tons of it at one sitting could be a big problem.

You will also need a heated night box for this tropical species. Here are some ideas for that:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

It is very unlikely that your incoming sulcata tortoise is 40 years old. They were not widely known or available until 1990 or so. The oldest ones around are only 25, unless they were wild caught, but then the age would not be known. A pic of yours will give us a good idea about whether it might be a wild caught older animal.

The two tortoises should NEVER have access to each other, or to areas where the other has been. They need separate enclosures at all times. The disease potential is very real, and beyond that both of these species are highly territorial and aggressive. They don't have "friends" and they do not want to share their territory. Even if your sulcata does not immediately go after the DT, he most likely will eventually. It is a highly likely outcome that you will come home one day to find the DT smashed into a bloody pulp.

Good luck and please don't hesitate to ask lots of questions and press for more clarification on any of this.