adult sulcata

Juan V

Location (City and/or State)
Valencia
What I meant in the previous post is that, yes, its better if you separate them, but dont let this be your first issue to solve. It's way more important to keep them at the correct temperatures, give them the proper food, sun, humidity etc.... Separating them should be a concern, but the least of them (IMO).

I am saying this because back when I was a newbie with torts, I read that testudo and geochelone species should NEVER be mixed. I followed this advice and found a new place to keep the tortoises separated which was NOT as suitable for them as it would have been if I had kept them together and due to this one of them died.

If I cant have them separated (due to lack of space or money, or time to keep them properly cared for...) i'd rather take my chances with the deseases keeping them together than separating them with the chance of one of their new homes not being suitable for one of them .

however if you can find a way to keep them separated safely then go for it. I have never experienced any problems in keeping different tortoises together , but others might have.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
I love the way you are already caring for this guy! I look forward to observing your progress:D

We have been letting the yard grow freely without raking where the enclosure will be. There is nice spring greenery coming up quick just waiting for his arrival. It is actually quite pretty with all kinds of mini flowers coming up too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
From what I have learned recently this seems like an OK diet. If anyone has suggestions to do things differently I am most anxious to be informed. The layers of hay and greens are also sprinkled with some water for extra moisture. Our weather is super dry.

Great diet. Look to add mulberry and grape leaves, spineless opuntia cactus pads and fresh grass too.

You are doing great!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Progress will be finishing the night box. So far only starting on the lid. Nothing happens fast with me. Maybe that's why tortoises are so good, they are just my pace. Working on a 4 x4 night box but wondering if the 700w oil heater I bought is too much heat. Didn't find a recommended 500w. Any opinions on this?

Buy the "mini" oil heater from Walmart for about $30 and run it on the low setting only. This is about 250 watts. The built in thermostat on the heater allows far too much temperature swing so just jack it all the way up and then use your own thermostat to control the temperature.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Buy the "mini" oil heater from Walmart for about $30 and run it on the low setting only. This is about 250 watts. The built in thermostat on the heater allows far too much temperature swing so just jack it all the way up and then use your own thermostat to control the temperature.

I did buy the mini oil heater from Walmart. Please explain how to "use your own thermostat to control the temperature". Other than setting it on low I do not understand how to moderate the temperature.

Thanks for the additional feeding advice also. Some spineless cactus have been planted and are already rooting good and growing nicely. The Lawnmower clippings are a happy addition to his feedings too. All the care threads you suggest have been a great help with general care and sheltering of our new big guy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I did buy the mini oil heater from Walmart. Please explain how to "use your own thermostat to control the temperature". Other than setting it on low I do not understand how to moderate the temperature.

You need to buy a separate reptile thermostat to control the heater. You plug the thermostat into the wall, set the little dial to the temperature you want, and plug the heater into the receptacle on the thermostat. Then you place the thermostat's temperature probe in your tortoise box. The reptile thermostat will send power to the heater when the internal box temp dips below your setting and cut power to the heater when the box temp rises above your set point. Set it up and run it for a day or two to monitor temps and make any thermostat adjustments as needed.

You'll need to set the built in thermostat that comes on the heater all the way up, so that that thermostat does not interfere with the other more accurate reptile thermostat. Also, my heaters come with the option of high, med, or low heat settings and I run them all on low only.

I've been using this style of thermostat for years: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CZ0J3E/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Just had my very first one burn out a few months ago. I've got 10-12 of them in use for all sorts of application at any given time and this recent one is the only time I've ever had any trouble after years of using them. I'd say that's a pretty good track record.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Great, makes sense now. Thank you for being very specific and including a suggestion of where and what to get. You are saving this tortoise's life, or at least making sure he is very happy. We appreciate that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great, makes sense now. Thank you for being very specific and including a suggestion of where and what to get. You are saving this tortoise's life, or at least making sure he is very happy. We appreciate that.

Oh Jeez. I'm just sharing what has worked for me. YOU are doing all the work out there. He's lucky you found him!

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
, Here is part of " the lower orchard " where Mr. Sulcata will be. Furthest back is greenery starting to grow in his area.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Close up of greenery and weeds starting in his area. OK I am just jazzed about getting this tortoise and being able to post pictures. Hmmm...I am jazzed about posting pictures of weeds...maybe I am getting carried away here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is looking like a great sulcata area!

I know you already know this, but it bears repeating. I've seen many tortoises injure themselves and/or escape when people attempt to contain them with chain link fencing. I would never even attempt it because of all that I've seen. I strongly recommend a visual barrier all the way around that area.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
That is looking like a great sulcata area!

I know you already know this, but it bears repeating. I've seen many tortoises injure themselves and/or escape when people attempt to contain them with chain link fencing. I would never even attempt it because of all that I've seen. I strongly recommend a visual barrier all the way around that area.

The repeating good information is always welcome.

The completed enclosure will be inside the chain link that came with the yard. The chain link will be a 2nd chance if he gets out of the proposed 40 x 40 enclosure. The enclosure will be 6' inside (or away from) the chain link. Of course more pictures will showing this enclosure in a couple weeks. We are not on a rigid schedule at our house.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
SULCATA ATE TRASH.

Either a plastic bag or a baby wipe/something like one. It was horrifying not being able to stop him. When I went to put food out he appeared across the yard and started coming over. Right away you could see what looked like a plastic bag hanging out of his mouth. Being on the opposite side of the 5' fence I couldn't just hurdle the fence to get in there. For a tortoise he moves pretty quick when he is coming for food. Every step closer the bag immediately got smaller and smaller. Just before arms reach he swallowed the last of it. Immensely disturbing.

Is there any protocol for such an issue? Think he can be OK? Should I look for plastic baggie poop? What would you do?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
SULCATA ATE TRASH.

Either a plastic bag or a baby wipe/something like one. It was horrifying not being able to stop him. When I went to put food out he appeared across the yard and started coming over. Right away you could see what looked like a plastic bag hanging out of his mouth. Being on the opposite side of the 5' fence I couldn't just hurdle the fence to get in there. For a tortoise he moves pretty quick when he is coming for food. Every step closer the bag immediately got smaller and smaller. Just before arms reach he swallowed the last of it. Immensely disturbing.

Is there any protocol for such an issue? Think he can be OK? Should I look for plastic baggie poop? What would you do?

It will probably pass on its own. Feeding more wet foods like cactus or aloe will help. You can get "Nopales" or "Las Tunas" at any Mexican grocery store like Vallarta or Tres Sierras.

One of my 12" sulcatas once ate an entire mylar Doritos bag that must have blown in on the wind. I didn't even know it had happened until I saw it in the poop. More than 10 years later he is still alive and well.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Such a relief to hear about a tortoise experiencing something similar with no side effects. Hurray! Congratulations on the 10 years later alive and well :) Is spineless cacti similar enough to Nopales or Las Tunas to use? Some of that is growing in the yard already.

On another note, you (and all), will be glad to hear the wrought iron fencing is out and the enclosure will not have visual through the walls. Fortunately the ordered wrought iron fencing arrived and it looked real cheesy. Just NOT what we were expecting. The plastic eating prompted the urgency to get this going already and move him in. Building starts this Saturday with other material.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is spineless cacti similar enough to Nopales or Las Tunas to use? Some of that is growing in the yard already.

Nopales is the Mexican word for spineless opuntia cactus. Las tunas are the cactus fruits.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Spineless cacti arrived, have been planted and are growing nicely. A FRUITLESS mulberry tree has been acquired and hopefully will be planted soon. A very generous person donated a giant garbage bag full of fruiting mulberry branches. That was blicky mess hosing off the bird poo and eliminating the berries. It was an eye opening, first hand experience encouraging us to get a fruitLESS mulberry tree. Sherman loves the leaves !

Photos of building his new home are trying to be posted. No wrought iron involved.

Assistance building the night box was required. I really tried to do as much as possible. Husband Albert is LOTS better with the power tools.

2015_0531March20150778.JPG

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
2015_0531March20150792.JPG 2015_0531March20150800.JPG
Night box taking shape. Thanks Tom for doing all the research and planning for the best night box ever ! This could never have happened without your help and this poor tortoise has his first ever night box instead of just a hole in the ground to get him through winter in Riverside. thanks to mushmouth26 for posting an expanded view also. You both have been so very helpful.2015_0531March20150255.JPG

Building his yard enclosure. It wasn't easy.

2015_0531March20150320.JPG