Came home with worms :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
metro detroit, mi
New hingeback owner with worms

Hello, got my girl today! I did research and have learned alot so i thought i was ready to own. Just curious to see if there is anything else i should know. Shes in a great, custom made enclosure, access to water(even tho shes not really into soaking on her own) and food. I have some questions about worms, food and general stuff. I bought her from a store and when she defecated....there was a worm :( so i called and said they would take care of the vet bills. I just have to take a sample in. Is that normal? What can i do? Alittle frustrated in the situation. bleck now its long and rambled lol

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
metro detroit, mi
Hi, I just brought my new hingeback female home today. She was at a small family owned pet store that has always had a great reputation for healthy animals. A.couple hours after we came home she...pooped... and there was a white worm about an inch long. I, unfortunatly, threw it away. I have another stool sample to give to the pet store, as they agreed to take care of vet costs because ive had her less than 10 hours. Is there anything i can do from this point? Its frustrating because i also have dogs(they will NOT be near her EVER just for her safety) but could it spread from tortoise to canine?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RE: New hingeback owner with worms

Welcome to the sometimes frustrating world of hingebacks. ;) :D I am guessing a Homes? Is she being shy or outgoing? Eating okay for you? Worms are really no huge deal. Most animals have some, it's more an issue when they get too many. Stress can often cause such a "bloom" of worms. Usually a couple of dosages of meds works the trick. When you worm her, your going to want to have her on something easy to clean while the worms are being treated, so she does not get reinfected.

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
metro detroit, mi

Im not sure on the type, i have the "official" scientific name out by her enclosure. Shes SUPER outgoing. Always comes out of her shell when picked up, ate some banana infront of unfamiler people, in an unfamiler place, so shes pretty comfortable around people. She doesnt seem to be in the best shape now that im looking at pictures of other hingebacks. Her shell is alittle rough(store employee told me to use snake oil to make it better :/ idk about that) they said she doesnt soak herself so she was "dry". Im new to all this so i need as much info as possible :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Was she also in a dry enclosure or one with high humidity?

The water source is a dish big enough she can get fully into it and the depth where her two shells meet?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Worms are so common in torts that I wouldn't be in the least surprised to find them... not even in ones that are kept indoors 24/7. As soon as you feed weeds from outside there's a risk of them being picked up.

I don't know if they can transfer to dogs, I suspect it depends on the specie of worm... but I would assume that they could be.

Once wormed your tort will be fine, but do regular checks to ensure he stays clear. I assume you do the same with your dogs anyway.

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
metro detroit, mi

its was a dry enclosure. She had access to the water but they said she never used it. Im thinking.that maybe she was afraid.of.the bridge they had there?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Sad if that was the case. So did they soak her? Since she is outgoing and has apparently been kept too dry without her doing her natural soaks, then I would advise actually doing the forced soaks atleast once a day. Make sure she doesn't start appearing stressed by this. She needs to get well hydrated. You have her current enclosure with lots of humidity? Plus we really do need to know which type of hingeback she is. So does a fresh stool sample go into the Vet today?

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
metro detroit, mi

It goes to the pet store, then to the vet. I have a couple samples lol. Ill go look up the name in a second. If i cant find it, would a picture help?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

IggyBeans said:
It goes to the pet store, then to the vet. I have a couple samples lol. Ill go look up the name in a second. If i cant find it, would a picture help?

Yes a picture would be very helpful.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
JoesMum said:
it might be easier to use Photobucket than the forum's photo feature

That's what I do. I put my pictures into photobucket and then use the link they give for the pictures. Is simple and works (the key for me is simple :D )

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
metro detroit, mi
I was soaking her today in the tub and she defecated. At first sight i was excited because i didnt see any worms but upon further exmination...there were a bunch of teeny tiny worms. I have been talking to the pet store manager and hes been communicating with vets and distrubtors and they have come to he conclusion that we should try Panicur(sp?) is this a good medcine, should i avoid it?

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
metro detroit, mi
Thats what i meant, is that is what they said to give her.

the vet said to give panicur, im guessing that the manager must have been talking.to a couple different people and they said that usually works, which just reinforces what the vet said.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Didn't the Vet want to see her, so he (or she) knew how much of a dosage to give her???

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
metro detroit, mi
were in the process of all that. Im not sure why they just wanted a sample and then see her. Seemed backwards to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.