I need some hingeack help from the experts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargoileddie

10 Year Member!
ive had my female hinge-back for a weeks now and she seemed healthy and active, but around the same time my male died (the day after actually) her personality and actions changed dramatically. shes not eating barley drinking & moving. originally she loved fruits of all kinds and the male would only eat worms, but after he passed away in his sleep she stooped eating all together, the other day she showed interest in a worm but quickly gave up. i soak her in Luke warm water 2 times a week. her incloser is inside next to a window for sunlight in the mornings. i keep it pretty humid and warm (around 85) for her. coconut husk substrate, a wooden animal hide, and big water dish for her to soak herself. My GF works at a animal clink so we are going to get a fecal sample tested.rite now her "poop" is liquid green like snot. i try to feed her every berry and melon i can find, Ive even offered cactus pad, mushrooms, romaine lettuce and the worms i mentioned earlier. any suggestions?? everything helps thank you.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Taking her a fecal should answer some of your questions. Most homes are wild caught,parasite ridden, and stressed from the shipping. I would also suggest that you lower the temps 5 or 10 degrees as mine seem to do better in 70's

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are you seeing her soaking in her dish? Now she is by a window, but is she getting drafts from it, too? Is 85 the average temp or does she have a cooler area also? Have you tried ripe banana yet? The stool would be a big worry for me, glad your getting it to a Vet.

gargoileddie

10 Year Member!
85 is the basking spot the rest is between 70 and 75, her enclosure is by a closed window except in morning when the sun is shinning directly in. I live in Arizona so it getting to cold is not an issue except MABY at night but i have a night light for her. I use to see her soak every day, now if she moves its to the water for a quick drink, all tho she is laying rite next to it. Banana was the first food i fed her out of the shipping box. I mist the enclosure every morning and when i get home in the evening. I'm verry concerned with her lac of feces and the little that she had was very snotty. :-(

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So rather then going back to her hide, she instead lays next to the water?

gargoileddie

10 Year Member!
Yess. Its verry strange she just lays next to ger watter. She comes out of her shell if I mist around or pet her shell.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Have you gotten the stool sample in yet?

You mentioned she tried to eat a worm, but gave up. Have you tried her on a bug that wiggles, but is small and won't escape her easily? Even something like a wax worm (butterworm would be better).

gargoileddie

10 Year Member!
Ive tried wax worms but she wasn't intrestid . she is looking a little better tho moving around a little more and drinking water more often but she still inst eating. im also still waiting to see what the vet has to say about the stool sample

gargoileddie

10 Year Member!
some good news today she seems very active. well more active then lately. she woke up at sunrise, sunbathed, drank some water and then refused her food. she then went back to her sluggish behavior. I think she may be craving more sun than i give her. Could this be the issue? Ive red they prefer little sunlight.

gargoileddie

10 Year Member!
So the results came in from the vet yesterday and the fecal sample showed nothing . The Dr said that it's most likely viral and gave me some pill segments to crush up and make a paste to put around her mouth. Since she's not eating when she tries to drink water she will have swalowed some pill. I also prepared her a plate of food any tort would go crazy for. She only stuck her head out and smelt the delicious treats. Still not eating. And barly moving.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If you are soaking her (and this would be a case of it could be a good thing to do or it could stress her and make things worse, so not saying to soak or not to), make sure to make them soaks with baby food added. That way she is possibly going to drink something that may get her hungry or atleast get a speck of something in her.

She is even turning down really ripe banana?

Try not having a basking light on her and see what she does.

gargoileddie

10 Year Member!
Worst posible news! My girlfriend just informed me that mortish the hingeback has passed on. She went to check up on her to see if she had eaten any of the medicen and she's not breathing and not responcive. :-(

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
gargoileddie said:
Worst posible news! My girlfriend just informed me that mortish the hingeback has passed on. She went to check up on her to see if she had eaten any of the medicen and she's not breathing and not responcive. :-(
Sorry to hear, that is WC kinixys for you.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Well darn! Sorry to say, this actually seems to happen a lot with Hingebacks, even ones kept for years. :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.