Are worms normal?

Elsiemouse

Location (City and/or State)
UK
The other week I was having tortoise time with Tally, when suddenly he poops and a long white worm is stuck in his behind :confused: I pulled it out and it was a long worm, I heard it's normal for your tort to have a few worms but I don't know how many are in there. We'd rather like to avoid going to the vets, should we send off for a worm package or something?
http://www.wormcount.com/order-now/
that website looks good, they have a 'worming kit' - you send off a fresh sample of poo and they give you the result of how many worms he has.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"A few" is normal, but when you start seeing them come out, it means he has more than a few.

Elsiemouse

UK
"A few" is normal, but when you start seeing them come out, it means he has more than a few.
Haven't seen anymore since then, but I'm wondering whether we should send off for the kit just in case?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You should take your tortoise to the vet with a stool sample. This will allow them to tell you what type of worms you have, and then prescribe the correct medicine in the correct dosage after weighing your tortoise.

This is not the time for shortcuts.

Elsiemouse

UK
You should take your tortoise to the vet with a stool sample. This will allow them to tell you what type of worms you have, and then prescribe the correct medicine in the correct dosage after weighing your tortoise.

Okay thanks. Didn't mean to come out as wanting shortcuts, just wanted to know whether the site was any good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay thanks. Didn't mean to come out as wanting shortcuts, just wanted to know whether the site was any good.

I don't have any experience with that site, but I have had some experience with worms and vets. :)

Just politely decline if your vet wants to give your tortoise a "vitamin" injection. This is often a sign of a vet that doesn't know tortoises, and these injections can do harm.

Elsiemouse

UK
Should I take Tally for a regular checkup anyway? Do torts need checking up often?

Thank you for the advice, will do that. Just found some white worms in his enclosure :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should I take Tally for a regular checkup anyway? Do torts need checking up often?

This is debatable. Its stressful to have to go for that car ride, and if its not needed, why bother with the time and expense? On the other hand, it is good to have a relationship with your local reptile vet so he/she knows who you are and is familiar with your tortoise and its history. This will help tremendously if there is ever a problem. A good tortoise vet might also catch a problem early on that might have otherwise gone unnoticed and unchecked.

I don't take any of mine to the vet unless there is a problem, but I see nothing wrong with it when people choose to take a more pro-active stance on this issue. Its really personal preference.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club

I agree....I just don't like to risk anything when it comes to my tortoises. Everyone's opinions are different, but better be safe than sorry!