Calcium Injections??

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, Oregon
I keep meaning to call my turtle's vet and ask if they can give calcium injections if you have a turtle who is in desperate need. It would seem like you could give a mega dose immediately. Does this even exist? Have others done it? Is it safe?
I took in a rescue that really needs it. I am actively working on getting every bit of vitamin D and calcium in to her normally. I was just wondering. But it is Saturday(of course... now is when I think of it...ugh). Somewhere rattling around in my brain it seems like I heard of it....

Thanks for your help! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, a vet can give your turtle a calcium injection. You also can buy liquid calcium, calcionate, and squirt it down the turtle's throat.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Thank you Yvonne. I have done the oral Calcium. I use that, I just wondered if she could get a mega dose quicker.

Thanks Yvonne! :)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
i would br hesitant to do any injections but depending on the circumstances it may be helpful, would you be having a vet do this or yourself?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The words MEGA DOSE freak me out :p I understand that you have a turtle in need and it sounds as though you are doing all the extra....just make sure as much sun as possible and if not possible then UVB exposure daily....:D

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
ascott said:
The words MEGA DOSE freak me out :p I understand that you have a turtle in need and it sounds as though you are doing all the extra....just make sure as much sun as possible and if not possible then UVB exposure daily....:D

Exactly..... :D:p:D That's why I was wondering if it was safe or not.

I wouldn't do anything that might hurt her. I had read something about it a long time ago and wondered if it had negative side effects too.

I am not as medically savvy as I would like, but it seems like it might be painful?? It would not be as thin as simple liquid medications and how would it get to where I needed it. I guess in my head I think of kidney stones. I may be way out in left field?? Would adding a 'mega dose' hurt more than help? I know that sounds silly. But, I do drug and alcohol research and am not a doc, so I really don't know. :(

Scott -
I don't give any injections to my turtles. I am a huge needle frady cat with needles. I can't even watch my kids or anyone get shots. I have passed out giving blood and woke up in another room. Geesh... What a wimp I am with needles. I have progressed though....... I can now inject a worm with Baytril if I have a turtle who needs meds and I can't give them orally. That is huge for me! If my turtles ever have to have Baytril injections, my husband does it and I wait in the other room like the needle wimp I am. I wouldn't want to do the calcium either. I would depend on if the vet felt it was safe for my husband to do it or not. I trust my turtle vet, and that would be entirely her call. :p

Thanks for all your help!

Dawn

FYI - There is a low cost vet clinic that just opened near me. One of the vets who works at my normal vets office, also works at the low cost clinic. My regular vet does not see any exotics at all. She referred me to the low cost clinic. We don't qualify financially, but she is great. Because she knows all the animals I try to help, they see my turtles there for a huge discount. I paid $40 +- for my turtle to get an exam and a purse string stitch after her intestines kept coming out. I am not allowed to take my other animals there, but they do see my turtles cheap...... Yippee.....

What was funny, was when we were at the vet with one of labs, she was telling my husband and I about the clinic, she said " you don't make any money from rescuing these turtles do you?" My husband just laughed and said "are you serious?" The answer is "Absolutely Not". She laughed and said that is what she thought. That is why she appealed and got us approved there. :) :p :)

Just thought I would mention in case anyone finds themselves in need.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have passed out giving blood and woke up in another room.

LMAO....and I so totally get it....I was with a friend of mine who cut her foot open when we waded through a creek...so I had to hike out alone and get help because she could not walk with the way the slice was...so when we finally made it to the ER, they had her food up and were cleaning it evaluating what they had to do...well, I made the mistake of leaning over and looking....that was all I remember until I woke up in another room of the hospital with a nurse smiling and advising me that I likely don't do well in the presence of other blood spilling all over the place(to my defense, we were only 16).....LOL

Luckily, after I gained some years, had some additional life experience and gave birth to my son---I am now able to handle a bit more (but still get woozy when faced with seeing blood come from someone elses body...ugh):p

Also, if you have a great rep vet that you trust then by all means that is a huge plus and I would also take into account what they would suggest...

I wish your turtle a speedy come around :D

Oh yeah, they do offer calcium gluconate injections for turtles when their calcium is low usually when MBD is suspected....so if you have a trusted vet that knows what they are doing, your desire to inquire is not unreasonable....again, good luck :D

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Yes, your vet will probably prescribe Calcium Gluconate injections if s/he feels it is warranted. This is commonly prescribed along with oxytocin for egg binding. It is injected into the rear of the body cavity, where it is then absorbed quickly by the surrounding tissues.

Steve

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Ok. Thanks! I just wondered if anyone had had good or bad experience with it as well. Have you used it before?

This is commonly prescribed along with oxytocin for egg binding.
- That is interesting. It wouldn't seem like it would work that fast. Is that to strengthen the egg? It is amazing if it does, I just would have thought it would have had to go through the blood stream and get absorbed. I wouldn't have thought it would go straight to the egg. That is definitely cool if it really does that :) I probably should remind you once again that I am not very good at knowing how all of our bodies work. The only reason I ask is.....

My son has Osteogenesis Imperfecta (brittle bone disease) so I remember the pediatric endocrinologist saying that the parathyroid works with his calcium levels to keep it in the right levels. Oddly enough my sons parathyroid works great, and his calcium levels are very, very high and yet his bones always show osteoporosis. So, we are trying to figure out why the calcium doesn't go to his bones. We also know it is not in his kidneys and he is not peeing it out. Where is it???????

So... long story... well long..... It is truly amazing in my mind if it can immediately attach to the egg before it leaves her body. Very cool!

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
I don't know if it actually does good, but you're supposed to inject her 24 hours in advance, then also at the same time as the oxytocin. It's supposed to be important, but I don't know if it actually reaches the egg in that short of time.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
"FYI - There is a low cost vet clinic that just opened near me. One of the vets who works at my normal vets office, also works at the low cost clinic. My regular vet does not see any exotics at all. She referred me to the low cost clinic. We don't qualify financially, but she is great. Because she knows all the animals I try to help, they see my turtles there for a huge discount. I paid $40 +- for my turtle to get an exam and a purse string stitch after her intestines kept coming out. I am not allowed to take my other animals there, but they do see my turtles cheap...... Yippee.....

What was funny, was when we were at the vet with one of labs, she was telling my husband and I about the clinic, she said " you don't make any money from rescuing these turtles do you?" My husband just laughed and said "are you serious?" The answer is "Absolutely Not". She laughed and said that is what she thought. That is why she appealed and got us approved there. :) :p :)

Just thought I would mention in case anyone finds themselves in need"

i Love my vet and ive only gone to him twice 40 +/- is really good, my first meeting with him was free and we talked for a long while he didnt charge me because it was a rescue situation. the second was over 100, one of my favorite ladys had an ear absess that needed to be lanced and cleaned out. it had to be done as they dont get any better until they litterally explode :( which can be very painful, if i remember right it was 40 for the examination, 30 for the baytril, and 30 for the surgery/everything else.

its great you can go to the value clinic :) every dolla really does add up, ive been keeping count... its alot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.