Vitamin A oral vs. injections

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
I understand that vitamin injections are typically no bueno but what about vitamin A given orally? Is this less risky than an injection?

My vet had given BamBam oral vitamin A when I took her almost 3 months ago and I had no problems at all. Of course it wasn't a high dose of Vitamin A. But she specifically mentioned not to give vitamin A injections but that giving it orally wasn't that bad. She's an exotic pets vet and has a Red Eared Slider (although we do differ on care techniques) so I trust her more than I would any vet with zero turtle/tortoise experience. But I trust you guys more! ;)
Just curious about it. I definitely wouldn't agree to anymore vitamin A, mainly because BamBam doesn't need it.
And I actually had no idea that there was such a risk of injections and vitamin issues before I went. Otherwise I wouldn't have allowed it at all.
But I was just wondering about the difference, if there even is one.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I understand that vitamin injections are typically no bueno but what about vitamin A given orally? Is this less risky than an injection?

My vet had given BamBam oral vitamin A when I took her almost 3 months ago and I had no problems at all. Of course it wasn't a high dose of Vitamin A. But she specifically mentioned not to give vitamin A injections but that giving it orally wasn't that bad. She's an exotic pets vet and has a Red Eared Slider (although we do differ on care techniques) so I trust her more than I would any vet with zero turtle/tortoise experience. But I trust you guys more! ;)
Just curious about it. I definitely wouldn't agree to anymore vitamin A, mainly because BamBam doesn't need it.
And I actually had no idea that there was such a risk of injections and vitamin issues before I went. Otherwise I wouldn't have allowed it at all.
But I was just wondering about the difference, if there even is one.

what is bam bam ?

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
My vet visit was pre-long houred lurking when she was housed at a different location.
I thought she had a respiratory infection (she had symptoms of it and I found out that there had been a supreme drop in temps for her at her old home :mad: ) and rushed her right to the vet without asking anyone here for advice.
So she was given a course of meds. I don't remember exactly what kind but she dealt with it pretty well and was perfectly fine.
Now she has the right temps, humidity & diet. Even if she doesn't have a large enough indoor enclosure for now.
I definitely would've done it differently then I did and I'm just grateful that she made it through okay and had no problems with the meds or the vitamin A.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If vitamins really do have to be given then putting bird vitamins in the drinking/soaking water is usually the recommended method to avoid overdose