Calcium and outdoor torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
My two CDTs live outdoors 12 hours a day and eat grasses, weeds, greens, cacti and veggies. I bought one of those ZooMed cactus/calcium blocks 6 weeks ago and they've shown no interest in it. But I've noticed them nibbling at rocks and dirt in their enclosure, and I wonder if I need to add a calcium supplement. I see Rep-Cal has one that comes without D3 and phosphorus. Is that what I should get?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The Rep-Cal one is nice. I like to add it two or three times a week for growing tortoises like yours. I just add a little pinch on top of some greens a couple of times a week if the diet is good like yours. If the diet was mostly grocery store greens, I'd add it 3-4 times a week for a young tortoise.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Tom said:
The Rep-Cal one is nice. I like to add it two or three times a week for growing tortoises like yours. I just add a little pinch on top of some greens a couple of times a week if the diet is good like yours. If the diet was mostly grocery store greens, I'd add it 3-4 times a week for a young tortoise.

Thanks, Tom, as always!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I also add calcium once a week to their greens - but I use cuttlebones. I don't know how much the Zoomed blocks are - but cuttlebones are cheap and all my tortoises regularly bite off them. (I can see the little bite marks and I often see them munching on them.) Since I don't always see which ones are chewing on them - I add the powered calcium once a week to make sure everyone is getting some. Hope that was helpful! :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I free broadcast/dust my outdoor pens with limestone flour. Pure calcium, cheap, and organic. Not only does this put Valium on the graze itself, but also augments the soil that the graze is growing in.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
kimber_lee_314 said:
I also add calcium once a week to their greens - but I use cuttlebones. I don't know how much the Zoomed blocks are - but cuttlebones are cheap and all my tortoises regularly bite off them. (I can see the little bite marks and I often see them munching on them.) Since I don't always see which ones are chewing on them - I add the powered calcium once a week to make sure everyone is getting some. Hope that was helpful! :)

Hmmm, so many options! The Zoomed block was $4, so not a huge loss, but it seems to attract bugs and not torts -- at least not mine. I'll try cuttlebones intead.

Cowboy_Ken said:
I free broadcast/dust my outdoor pens with limestone flour. Pure calcium, cheap, and organic. Not only does this put Valium on the graze itself, but also augments the soil that the graze is growing in.

Intriguing. Where do you get the limestone flour? What do you mean "Put Valium on the graze?"

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Oops!!!! That's calcium not Valium. Lol. I get mine at a local feed and farm supply store. Typically it is used to augment soils. It make sticky soils loose and dry soils water retentive. I believe it's also used to help green up lawns in suburban environments. Just make sure it is pure, with nothing added.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Cowboy_Ken said:
Oops!!!! That's calcium not Valium. Lol. I get mine at a local feed and farm supply store. Typically it is used to augment soils. It make sticky soils loose and dry soils water retentive. I believe it's also used to help green up lawns in suburban environments. Just make sure it is pure, with nothing added.

Phew! Cause you know I'm picturing my torts on Valium and they're already so chill I'm afraid they'd lose all motivation...

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The brand I use is Imperial. I tried a google search to get you a direct link, but only found company info. They are out of Washington state.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I am ignoring all of the "Valium on the graze" jokes I really want to make and moving on to say Thank You Ken! This is an excellent idea and may have solved a big problem for me. I am in a constant struggle to make sure the torts are getting the calcium they need and keeping those darn cuttlebones away from the dogs who love to chomp on them! They also love sneaking the calcium dusted veg I put out there for the torts... ugh! At least I know my dogs are getting plenty of calcium!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To add to my earlier response: Mine also ignored the ZooMed blocks, and I also offer cuttle bone. Some of mine nibble the cuttle bones and some don't. I still think its a good idea to give them the option.

And I'm also not going to touch the valium jokes either. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.