repcal herptivite and calcium?

byviolet

I have a little redfoot and I just bought herptivite and calcium for him (rep-cal brand) but I'm not sure if it's good for them and I don't want to screw up! Does anyone else use them and if so how much do you use?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Those are fine. Generally speaking I like to use the calcium twice a week and the vitamins once a week. I just sprinkle a tiny pinch on top of the food. You don't need a lot.

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Like Tom said, they are great vitamins. Rep Cal has been around a long time and is one of the best vitamin brands out there, you should be fine :)

-Jen

jlpicc

5 Year Member
Delaware
Those are fine. Generally speaking I like to use the calcium twice a week and the vitamins once a week. I just sprinkle a tiny pinch on top of the food. You don't need a lot.

I just got a Russian tortoise about a week and a half ago, and the couple of times I've given it to him I've put about half a teaspoon of each sprinkles over his pile of greens. When given the same amount of greens without vitamins he eats the whole pile, but with vitamins he only eats about half. Am I giving him too much? Or is he just super picky? He also doesn't seem to like anything grown fresh (so far we've tried dandelion raspberry bush leaf and sage leaves, and each he only picks at) buy he goes to town on collard greens and kale.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are using WAYYY too much. A tiny little pinch is all you need.

I don't know about raspberry bushes or sage as tortoise food, but if you found them on a list somewhere, they are probably okay. I've never tried to feed those. Dandelion are much more appetizing. Keep trying with that one and find a few more that are more tasty like grape leaves, mulberry leaves, mallow, sowthislte, etc...

Any new food will take time for them to get used to. Start by finely chopping a very small amount of the new food and mixing it in with an old favorite. Gradually add more of the new stuff over time.

jlpicc

5 Year Member
Delaware
You are using WAYYY too much. A tiny little pinch is all you need.

I don't know about raspberry bushes or sage as tortoise food, but if you found them on a list somewhere, they are probably okay. I've never tried to feed those. Dandelion are much more appetizing. Keep trying with that one and find a few more that are more tasty like grape leaves, mulberry leaves, mallow, sowthislte, etc...

Any new food will take time for them to get used to. Start by finely chopping a very small amount of the new food and mixing it in with an old favorite. Gradually add more of the new stuff over time.
Ok thanks! We need to find a way to plant more dandelion because we don't have many in our yard, and our yard is pretty small anyway. I've been taking them from my parents house too, but same thing there.
And yes i found both the sage and raspberry bush leaves on a food list, and I figured they'd be doubly useful since the humans of the house would benefit from them too :)