buying seeds

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
i am going to Home depot on wed. to buy seeds. this will be for planting in pots and seed trays. not for doing the outdoor enclosure ( yet). I want to know if any of you have a favorite brand/type. all suggestions are greatly welcomed. Best planing medium? what to look for ? what to stay away from. thanks a bunch

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Greens of different types and lettuces are very easy to grow. I use potting soil in a plastic kiddie pool. You can use pots and window boxes. I also buy from Tortoise supply. They sell a lot of seeds cheaply.

Attachments

• image_100.png
    image_100.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • image_101.png
    image_101.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • image_99.png
    image_99.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Greens of different types and lettuces are very easy to grow. I use potting soil in a plastic kiddie pool. You can use pots and window boxes. I also buy from Tortoise supply. They sell a lot of seeds cheaply.
hi thank you I have heard so much good stuff about tortoise supply. question I don't see where the broad mix can be added to the cart. do you know if this means that they are out? thank you

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
hi thank you I have heard so much good stuff about tortoise supply. question I don't see where the broad mix can be added to the cart. do you know if this means that they are out? thank you
I checked and it does say that the broadleaf testudo mix is currently unavailable. Just your luck? It really is a great producer, so you may want to check back later and get some.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Americanmeadows.com is where I buy a variety of things to include Clover. Great prices for good quantities.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HD has some good vegetable seeds like the squash seeds which would be good since you can feed the leaves and blooms of any of tha squash family plants, and carrot tops or cilantro would be good for some variety too. Collard, mustard and turnip greens are okay for some variety. I also use the nasturtium and gazania seeds.

And I use Tyler's Testudo mix too. It is worth waiting for if he is out at the moment. Nothing produces more or better food than that mix.

And look here for clover and alfalfa, and lots of other seeds too: http://www.groworganic.com

Heather H

N.E. ohio
HD has some good vegetable seeds like the squash seeds which would be good since you can feed the leaves and blooms of any of tha squash family plants, and carrot tops or cilantro would be good for some variety too. Collard, mustard and turnip greens are okay for some variety. I also use the nasturtium and gazania seeds.

And I use Tyler's Testudo mix too. It is worth waiting for if he is out at the moment. Nothing produces more or better food than that mix.

And look here for clover and alfalfa, and lots of other seeds too: http://www.groworganic.com
Thank you. I like that the mix is made for my tortoise. So afraid of doing something wrong

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I always say that people who keep tortoises need to learn to be gardeners too. Don't be afraid to try new stuff. Growing things from seeds avoids all the normal chemical contamination associated with store bought plants. You can get as far into it as you like.

I grow a seasonal one called African Hibiscus. You can look for seeds on line. It is great tortoise food and they love it. Grape vines and mulberry leaves are some other good choices. You can also buy some spineless opuntia and keep it in pots so you can bring it inside for the winter.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Outside planting is going to be difficult. My backyard opens to a wetland, river and animal trails.if it's edible the animals love it. We have a group of 6 does and a buck, skunks, raccoons, muskrat, ground hogs, rabbits and coyote. And nesting hawks. I may have to do a green house, lol

Prairie Mom

There's tons of stuff you can order online. I've ordered seeds like: oat, barley, and wheat from Amazon. I also have been growing other weed seeds like dandelion and marsh mallow that I also got from Amazon.

If you're looking specifically for shopping at Home depot, here are a few more ideas: pansies/violas, snap dragons, watermelon greens, bok choi, beats, yarrow, beans, and sugar snap peas. I also second the recommended nasturtiums and gourds like pumpkin, zucchini, etc. *I also just want to mention that for the legumes like beans and sugar snap peas...if you have a tortoise that shouldn't have protein, be sure to pick off the pods, but the greens are safe (even the picky tortoise table says so!). Sugar snap peas are a lot of fun because the vine grows quickly and can handle part sun (which increases your chances of growing indoors), plus the whole pea pod can be eaten and is delicious, so if you're lucky enough that your little tortoise vine sprouts flowers and goes to pod -you'll get a yummy treat too!:)

Prairie Mom

medium? what to look for ? what to stay away from. thanks a bunch
I forgot! I wanted to respond to this too...

I have amazing luck with the Jiffy Peat grow kits
jiffy kit.jpg
There is no real logical explanation for this, but my ability to grow seeds for home & tortoise has nearly doubled since I started using these. (you can save the trays and order the refill pellets every year also). If you plan on putting the plugs straight into your enclosure, I would simply tear off the mesh fabric around the peet pellet after the plant is all grown up and ready to serve.

When I'm growing mass amounts of indoor grass, weeds, etc....
I have good luck getting a tray or container and filling it with potting soil and then placing a thin top layer of just plain coco coir on top. I'm NOT mixing the coir into the soil. I've found that this helps my seeds stay wetter and germinate faster, but by the time the roots are big enough to need more nutrition, they are already reaching down into the potting soil.

(I just did these photos and posted them in the Garden Chat thread in the "off-topic" section a few days ago. The seeds are already sprouting now)
pottin soil with coir.jpg
potting soil with layer of coir on top

then cover the sucker up! :)
covered water dish.jpg
Let a little air in once a few seedlings start to sprout. Take the cover off and give lots of light once they green babies are all popping up and getting ready to say: "hello, tortoise!"

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Gardman 4 tier mini greenhouse. It's about $38 . I grow sprouts, and stuff for the family. Now with an extra member I think this will be better. I will be able to do more varieties.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I forgot! I wanted to respond to this too...

I have amazing luck with the Jiffy Peat grow kits
View attachment 114389
There is no real logical explanation for this, but my ability to grow seeds for home & tortoise has nearly doubled since I started using these. (you can save the trays and order the refill pellets every year also). If you plan on putting the plugs straight into your enclosure, I would simply tear off the mesh fabric around the peet pellet after the plant is all grown up and ready to serve.

When I'm growing mass amounts of indoor grass, weeds, etc....
I have good luck getting a tray or container and filling it with potting soil and then placing a thin top layer of just plain coco coir on top. I'm NOT mixing the coir into the soil. I've found that this helps my seeds stay wetter and germinate faster, but by the time the roots are big enough to need more nutrition, they are already reaching down into the potting soil.

(I just did these photos and posted them in the Garden Chat thread in the "off-topic" section a few days ago. The seeds are already sprouting now)
View attachment 114391
potting soil with layer of coir on top

then cover the sucker up! :)
View attachment 114392
Let a little air in once a few seedlings start to sprout. Take the cover off and give lots of light once they green babies are all popping up and getting ready to say: "hello, tortoise!"
Question. I have 3 fish tanks. I heard the old water is good for plants. Have you heard of this? Would it hurt Tuxy?

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I will add my 2 cents:

Tortoise Supply has a great selection and fair prices http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Desert Seed Store has some good mixes and hard-to-find seed species. Very cool that they hand-collect much of it. Especially great for Desert Tortoise people http://www.desertseedstore.com/shop/
I like Kitazawa for seeds of Asian greens http://www.kitazawaseed.com
Adaptive Seeds has many unusual varieties chosen for growing in cooler climates, including amaranths and quinoa https://www.adaptiveseeds.com
Territorial is similar and has a great red-stemmed dandelion http://www.territorialseed.com/category/s?keyword=dandelion
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds has tons of varieties, including a nice upright plantain http://www.rareseeds.com/store/herbs/herbs-o-z/

Prairie Mom

Question. I have 3 fish tanks. I heard the old water is good for plants. Have you heard of this? Would it hurt Tuxy?
Yes, I have heard that old water is good for plants many times. I know people who swear by it with their houseplants. I don't know for sure about how it would affect tortoise food, but admit that It's outside of my comfort zone to use the fish water on food I grow for my tortoise. Sometimes, I need to add chemicals to my fish tank, and I'm just a little paranoid about the possibility of sharing these chemicals or even fungus and parasites with my tortoise. I'm happy to be wrong, but too chicken to try it myself:)

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Yes, I have heard that old water is good for plants many times. I know people who swear by it with their houseplants. I don't know for sure about how it would affect tortoise food, but admit that It's outside of my comfort zone to use the fish water on food I grow for my tortoise. Sometimes, I need to add chemicals to my fish tank, and I'm just a little paranoid about the possibility of sharing these chemicals or even fungus and parasites with my tortoise. I'm happy to be wrong, but too chicken to try it myself:)
im too chicken too . lol not gonna try it .:)

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
re: fish tank water
yes, it is good for plant growth; its a natural fertilizer. However, it is uncomposted feces and may present both bacterial and parasite dangers. Out of an abundance of caution, I would not use it on greens for myself or my animals.