ANY GREEN THUMBS?

jennanne

Hey guys so I just got some cactus pads and wheat grass seeds... I was wondering how to start planting both of these, I want them to be in trays/pots that I can take out of the enclosure when needed and also what kind of dirt do I need?? Any advice appreciated!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I've read that people can throw cactus pads outside without any special treatment and the cactus will grow roots where the pad makes contact with the soil. So, if you want to go an extra step further with pots, just make a mix of 50/50 dirt (top soil, potting mix, etc) and perlite for drainage and shove the pad 1/3rd to 1/2 into the mix so that it stands firm. Make sure you let the pad's cut end heal over or it might mold, but I've thrown a fresh cut pad into moist dirt without any issues. With grass seed, just fill the tray with potting mix, toss the seeds on top and cover lightly with more mix. The cactus should show signs of new growth in a month and the grass mix should germinate within days. Keep the grass seed moist until germination. I've never needed to put a humidity dome on my trays for grass as long as the top of the soil doesn't dry out. After germination, lessen the amount of watering. Hope this helps.

jennanne

What kind of potting mix should I be looking for? I'm just nervous about it hurting my tortoise

Thanks so much for the reply by the way, the help is much appreciated

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
With the wheat grass- just don't let your babies eat the actual seeds, that contains too much gluten (wheat protein) for them and is no good. I got already sprouted wheat grass and just snip some and mix it in with my sulcatas' other greens [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][TURTLE]

jennanne

That's what I was planning on doing because I usually buy wheat grass from Whole Foods but it's so expensive! I just want to make sure it doesn't die on me..

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Yep I was in Whole Foods the other day and thought that was a mistake how much they had wheat grass clippings priced for.... Then I remembered I was in Whole Foods.

So I found wheat grass grown already in Petsmart sold as "pet grass" lol. If it can tolerate cats chomping at it, I am sure it will be fine with me snipping off chunks every few days.

Not sure what kinda tort you've got, but alfalfa and chia sprouts are also good, cheap, and grow quickly [THUMBS UP SIGN]

jennanne

Ohhh I wish I had thought of that! I had a red foot, that grass is okay too?

*have

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
jennanne said:
What kind of potting mix should I be looking for? I'm just nervous about it hurting my tortoise

Thanks so much for the reply by the way, the help is much appreciated

Hmm.. sorry. I totally overlooked the fact that you were putting it in your enclosure. Perlite should not be anywhere in an enclosure; tortoises seem to like to eat things that are white. Indoor or outdoor enclosure? Any kind of "dirt" with no additives like perlite or fertilizers will work (plain top soil by itself or mixed with homemade compost, peat moss, etc). I'm a novice, still, so see what others say.

jennanne said:
Ohhh I wish I had thought of that! I had a red foot, that grass is okay too?

*have

My reds aren't too keen with grass, but I mix dried grass into their weekly tortoise meatballs for extra fiber.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Yep, a-okay according to the super awesome Tortoise Table [THUMBS UP SIGN]

I use coconut coir as a substrate in their enclosures, and just use that as soil too in my window planter boxes so I don't have to worry about any already store bought plants having those stupid white fertilizer pebbles in them, which is no good for anybody lol.

jennanne

Okay awesome, I'll just use her soil then, and it's an indoor enclosure :) thanks so much you guys

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
No problem!

I must say I never really had much of a green thumb before I got my sulcatas, now any nursery/garden section is like a candy store for me! [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][TURTLE][EAR OF RICE]

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
milkandsam said:
Do you need to worry about the tortoise eating any seeds?

I am worried about that, and my sullies dig and burrow and bulldoze through their coco coir, so I was worried they'd turn up any seeds I had planted in the coconut coir. So I only put already sprouted plants into their enclosures.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
milkandsam said:
Do you need to worry about the tortoise eating any seeds?

I wouldn't recommend spreading seed directly in a tortoise enclosure. Sprouts are usually eaten or trampled on before they become established. That said, tortoises are natural seed spreaders so it "shouldn't" hurt them to eat seeds of tort-friendly plants. I purposefully put small amounts of dandelion, plantain, and chickweed seeds in their food every so often.

jennanne

I'm putting them in trays and once it has grown I'll place it in the enclosure, it won't be directly in there :)

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Something else to do that's quite entertaining: get a chia pet. Follow the instructions on sprouting the seeds on the pet. Then in a few days, when the sprouts are about an inch or so tall, place said chia pet in your tort's enclosure and let them go to town. Be sure to have your camera on hand [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Like so:

ImageUploadedByTortForum1389929060.420117.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1389929098.920307.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
No green thumb here, I just washed my hands... :cool:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
My biggest mistake is planting too many seeds in one container. They will choke each other out when they reach a certain size. As long as you feed before that happens or don't plant to many in one pot, you should be fine with well watered and well lighted pots growing pretty much any grass or clover etc..,

New2reds

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I just started growing wheatgrass this week for juicing. It's real easy to grow. I ordered a kit from amazon for $25. Comes with everything: seeds, soil, trays and instructions. Started Monday evening and already starting to sprout. The instructions say the process takes about 10 days before you can harvest for juicing. I'm sure for a tortoise it would be quicker. Might give my red foot a little and see how it goes.