1411337045508.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 1411337100338.jpg
    1411337100338.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 30

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
But I do have a 12/14 or so shed . It has a window unit with heat . I built a box in it that is 6/9 foot with a heater uvb and fans . The shed I keep at 80º the box I keep at 85/90º . This box is for my reds but could be used for a sulcata . Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• 1411337445872.jpg
    1411337445872.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 1411337459899.jpg
    1411337459899.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 1411337477534.jpg
    1411337477534.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 26
M

Maggie Cummings

You don't need a big shed for him . I have a four foot by for foot box . The box has fans for summer that keeps it at 80º and a heater that keeps it at 85 º..

I have a big shed for Bob because it stays below freezing here for weeks at a time and he will be stuck inside and he expends some of his energy by pacing in the shed.
With the hay your box looks comfy

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest Florida
As promised, here's a picture of our finished shed with tiles installed. (We're also planning to have the tiles run about 17 in. up the wall, but that will come later).

Worth noting: the cord running up the wall in the center goes to the exhaust fan, and the small white box attached to the cord is the thermostat. The fan has slats that open automatically when the fan turns on, so air leakage is minimal when the fan is turned off. Since we live in Florida, in the summer it would be impossible to work in the shed without the exhaust fan. As mentioned in my last post, the floor, walls, and ceiling are insulated. The only other thing left now is to replace the weather stripping on the door.

Also worth noting is the adorable tortoise in the foreground. ;)

WP_20140921_18_30_25_Pro.jpg

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
As promised, here's a picture of our finished shed with tiles installed. (We're also planning to have the tiles run about 17 in. up the wall, but that will come later).

Worth noting: the cord running up the wall in the center goes to the exhaust fan, and the small white box attached to the cord is the thermostat. The fan has slats that open automatically when the fan turns on, so air leakage is minimal when the fan is turned off. Since we live in Florida, in the summer it would be impossible to work in the shed without the exhaust fan. As mentioned in my last post, the floor, walls, and ceiling are insulated. The only other thing left now is to replace the weather stripping on the door.

View attachment 96880

In addition, I will add a few finishing touches, like putting wood pieces inside the walls to give it a Tudor look. I should complete that by next week before Baby Runt comes home from the hospital . Btw, her prognosis is still grave since there's nothing that can be done that hasn't been tried to get her to defecate it all out. Her whole gi tract is full of fecal material and gas. My heart is so broken over this.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx

View attachment 96880
Do they do ok on the tile?? I put my little guy on the tile floor sometimes and he has a hard time getting footing.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
In addition, I will add a few finishing touches, like putting wood pieces inside the walls to give it a Tudor look. I should complete that by next week before Baby Runt comes home from the hospital . Btw, her prognosis is still grave since there's nothing that can be done that hasn't been tried to get her to defecate it all out. Her whole gi tract is full of fecal material and gas. My heart is so broken over this.
Awwwww. Sorry to hear that. :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would not use tile unless it is heavily textured and not slippery. The slippery floor can screw up their legs and make them not walk properly.

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
Do they do ok on the tile?? I put my little guy on the tile floor sometimes and he has a hard time getting footing.

The tile we installed has a slightly rough surface. We watched them walk around on it for the first time yesterday evening, and they didn't seem to slip at all.

Having said that, I can see how smooth tile could present a problem for torts.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
The tile we installed has a slightly rough surface. We watched them walk around on it for the first time yesterday evening, and they didn't seem to slip at all.

Having said that, I can see how smooth tile could present a problem for torts.

Maybe if you throw in some hay? Or other substrate? The tile will be easy to clean! Especially if you do put it up the walls a bit. But I'd put something over it between cleanings myself.

M

Maggie Cummings

Take it from me with a big tort substrate is just something they use to make more trouble for us. I have hay on the floor in a corner for Bob to free feed, but when he tips over that water bucket, or worse pees, then I have to get rid of that wet hay as it molds and that's bad. I've got 2 piles of hay for him. The urine smells when he goes inside but not the poop. I use a mop and bucket to clean the floor. And to tell the truth, I was worried about Bob's legs kinda slipping on the plywood floor and have been looking at rubber stall mats, but worry about urine getting between the mat and the floor and causing rot or stinking bad, so I haven't yet made up my mind.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I got these tiles that have a gritty surface and my tort's walk on it without a slip.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Take it from me with a big tort substrate is just something they use to make more trouble for us. I have hay on the floor in a corner for Bob to free feed, but when he tips over that water bucket, or worse pees, then I have to get rid of that wet hay as it molds and that's bad. I've got 2 piles of hay for him. The urine smells when he goes inside but not the poop. I use a mop and bucket to clean the floor. And to tell the truth, I was worried about Bob's legs kinda slipping on the plywood floor and have been looking at rubber stall mats, but worry about urine getting between the mat and the floor and causing rot or stinking bad, so I haven't yet made up my mind.

That's why I'm using tiles made for outdoors. They have rough surfaces, like tough sandpaper. The floor can rip a slop mop apart it's that tough. I have tried everything you've done, plus a cork floor, and nothing works like these tiles. Of course, they're on insulated floors.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Check out these ridiculous thing Tom built...they are AWESOME!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/underground-tortoise-bunker.18244/
I know Dean! Tom's stuff is all amazing. I wish I had the skills and ability to do things like that!
My husband COULD do it. But isn't really into it. I am going to force him to help me with the shed. He mentioned putting concrete tubes in the ground for a safer burrow, but then decided he didn't have the time. Sometimes I just have to force him. Lol.
I found a shed! It's a good size and already wired for electricity! But, it's metal. So we are going to have to do some insulation and plywood work. I should be getting it in the next couple days.
I think @Tom could make a bucket of money if he'd go around building outdoor homes for these guys! Lol. I'd buy one!!!