Charlie's New "Home"

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Here's an update: Charlie hasn't dug another burrow. He spends winter nights in his heated night box, but he refuses to use it once the weather gets mild. Our summer lows are very warm, in the 80s or high 70s, so he really doesn't need it then. He didn't use his other house much when it was new but now he spends every night and part of the day there during the summer. We call it his summer house. He emerges from it with dirt on his back and the dirt inside is very soft so I guess he digs a little to get comfortable, but no burrow. I think he likes having protection on 3 sides and on top since he always naturally headed for corners to sleep.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
My sulcata is about the same size as Charlie. His night box is 4' x 6' x 2' tall. Of course the inside is a bit smaller. Built using Tom's design, it is heated with a 500 watt mini oil filled radiator. The heater sits on the floor ( or maybe I raised it a few inches) with a 2"x12" barrier around it. I also have a 115 vac computer case fan mounted near the heater to circulate air in an effort to have an even temperature throughout. The night box is located on a covered patio area near the house. It only gets direct sun for an hour or so before sunset. It seems to work pretty good. Here is what it looks like:

IMG_20131105_161912_925_zps4a2da402.jpg
That's really great. Your tort is lucky!