Bumpy shell

MistakenMexican

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Tortoise protection group reckon that pyramiding is a result of incorrect diet, high protein, low calcium or dyhydration. Our RT has pyramiding from his infancy with the breeder. From what I understand, you can’t undo it, but you can mitigate and stop it progressing. we created a humid hide and we bath our RT every other day. Ferrari tends to sleep in the humid hide most days. We also use a calcium supplement with vitamin D3+ and we’re weary of the protein content of his food.

Kirsty123

Chelmsford
Thank you, my tortoise also arrived with slight pyramiding and was being feed on horrible pellets that are full of protein. I do bath mine every day as only young and are feed all weeds now and flowers with calcium supplement and a cuttlefish bone to have a go at. Hopefully now having made a humid hide it wont continue to get any worse.

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Tortoise protection group reckon that pyramiding is a result of incorrect diet, high protein, low calcium or dyhydration. Our RT has pyramiding from his infancy with the breeder. From what I understand, you can’t undo it, but you can mitigate and stop it progressing. we created a humid hide and we bath our RT every other day. Ferrari tends to sleep in the humid hide most days. We also use a calcium supplement with vitamin D3+ and we’re weary of the protein content of his food.
That info is old and outdated, pyramiding is caused by low humidity levels. In the wild, they burry down and are able to create that humid environment, we must also provide the correct humidity levels in captivity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are still parroting the old wrong info. Food, protein content, and calcium have nothing to do with pyramiding. You can feed them the entirely wrong diet and they will not pyramid in the correct environment. Conversely, you can feed them the perfect diet in the perfect quantity, and they will still pyramid in the wrong environment. Like wise with calcium. Too much, too little, or just the right amount will have no effect on pyramiding.

Dehydration comes from being in an environment that is too dry, so that part is sort of indirectly related to pyramiding. The dry environment causes the pyramiding, not the dehydration resulting from the dry environment.

We've proven this a 1000 times over here on this forum all over the world.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you, my tortoise also arrived with slight pyramiding and was being feed on horrible pellets that are full of protein. I do bath mine every day as only young and are feed all weeds now and flowers with calcium supplement and a cuttlefish bone to have a go at. Hopefully now having made a humid hide it wont continue to get any worse.
The pellets and protein are not the cause of the pyramiding. The pyramiding is caused by the wrong lighting, used the wrong way, in an overly dry environment.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry.

MistakenMexican

UK
They are still parroting the old wrong info. Food, protein content, and calcium have nothing to do with pyramiding. You can feed them the entirely wrong diet and they will not pyramid in the correct environment. Conversely, you can feed them the perfect diet in the perfect quantity, and they will still pyramid in the wrong environment. Like wise with calcium. Too much, too little, or just the right amount will have no effect on pyramiding.

Dehydration comes from being in an environment that is too dry, so that part is sort of indirectly related to pyramiding. The dry environment causes the pyramiding, not the dehydration resulting from the dry environment.

We've proven this a 1000 times over here on this forum all over the world.
Fair point, I wasn’t specific enough on the dehydration point. I’m not really into the politics of TPG and other forums.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fair point, I wasn’t specific enough on the dehydration point. I’m not really into the politics of TPG and other forums.
Politics? I don't see how this is political. Just factual info about what is, and isn't, going on.