Bumpy shell

Terri Snowden

Hi all

Might be a stupid question but my Herm tortoise has a bumpy shell, just woundering if it was ment to be smooth or is bumpiness normal? Jac not had him for long so it's all still quite new to me :)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403545382.145014.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It should be smooth, it is pyramided. Did you get the tortoise like that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That bumpiness is what we're referring to when we say "pyramiding." The tortoise was kept in a very dry environment during his first year or so. They need moisture/humidity in their environment when they're babies.

Don't worry about it. It's not a health hazard, purely cosmetic. It gives him 'character'!

Terri Snowden

Ye I got him like that, in his home he is on tortoise terrain from pets at home and I spay that with water to keep the dust down

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
He looks Russian to me...? Sure he is a Hermann? :shy:

What is tortoise terrain? A dirt, earthy type of substrate?

Don't worry about the bumpiness now. Just keep him comfy with a good substrate, a water dish, varied diet, sunshine when possible and an occasional soak!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have a russian that was captive raised in too dry an environment.

Terri Snowden

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403559242.834103.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403559270.251924.jpg

That's his home and a pic of the soil, it's like sandy soil with white bits in it I think it's small bits of gravel, iv seen pictures and from what iv seen he looks like a Herm tort is there much diffrence between them?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403559375.160989.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403559399.314327.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are two different species. Like a donkey and a horse. Care is similar.

Your is Testudo horsfieldi.

Terri Snowden

Oh brill thanks for letting me know, when I got him his beak was over grown I have taken him to the vets to get it trimmed but he wudnt put his head out so his beak is still abit over grown, is there anyway of getting it trimmed or him doing it himself? I have put his food on slate to hopefully help and I also heard that cuttlebone will help aswell?