Help needed (watery eyes)

mrsjimmyc

Location (City and/or State)
glasgow
Hi
Im looking for abit of advice. My horsefield tortoise eyes seem to be watery when he wakes up and when we soak him they bubble in his bath, Hes 20 month old and really been quite inactive over the last few weeks. We put it down to being winter. He is eating but sleeping alot, Any advice. Temps are between 91-95 basking and 70-75 at the cool end of his table.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
What are the following:
1. Light types- UVB (Age and type of bulb) and general (color and type)
2. Substrate
3. Overall temp of enclosure
4. Picture of enclosure
5. Foods fed
Welcome and we will see what we can do to help

mrsjimmyc

glasgow
What are the following:
1. Light types- UVB (Age and type of bulb) and general (color and type)
2. Substrate
3. Overall temp of enclosure
4. Picture of enclosure
5. Foods fed
Welcome and we will see what we can do to help
Attached is photos of bulb used and table. Substate is beech chips, overall temps around 70-75 i feed him (dont actually know yet him or her) curly kale lambs lettuce some weeds i grew from tortoise food seeds and florette crispy salad he also eats soaked pre alpin natural foods for tortoises.

E29E0F00-68D0-4363-9167-A6CD1856A3F5.jpeg5A1576CC-45E6-4F19-8CBD-0C8545F4BF8C.jpeg1EBF9844-5A20-400B-89A0-1A57B2014C57.jpegDDFC81D9-D7E7-41FE-8DC5-5EB0D19125B3.jpeg

mrsjimmyc

glasgow
Attached is photos of bulb used and table. Substate is beech chips, overall temps around 70-75 i feed him (dont actually know yet him or her) curly kale lambs lettuce some weeds i grew from tortoise food seeds and florette crispy salad he also eats soaked pre alpin natural foods for tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He might need some respite from the harsh light. How about a few plants scattered around in there to offer shade and hiding places. Also, a bit or moisture. I don't know anything about beech chips, but if they mold when moistened, then get something else. If none of this helps your baby, then I suggest getting rid of that strong, harsh light and go instead with a tube type fluorescent bulb along with a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for heat. While he's a baby, you should keep the enclosure pretty warm, but as he gets bigger you can cut back on the heat and give him a warm day/cool night cycle.

mrsjimmyc

glasgow
He might need some respite from the harsh light. How about a few plants scattered around in there to offer shade and hiding places. Also, a bit or moisture. I don't know anything about beech chips, but if they mold when moistened, then get something else. If none of this helps your baby, then I suggest getting rid of that strong, harsh light and go instead with a tube type fluorescent bulb along with a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for heat. While he's a baby, you should keep the enclosure pretty warm, but as he gets bigger you can cut back on the heat and give him a warm day/cool night cycle.
Thankyou. Do you think my light is damaging him of effecting his eyes?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
IT is more the lack of shade/dark hide to escape the light. Maybe a smaller storage tote turned upside down with an entry hole cut out

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Like I have in my two enclosures. The second photo is my new enclosure that I am currently out fitting with plants, but the tote is more functional than fashionable. The lid is still on it I just turned it upside down so when I soak the Fir Bark it stays inside the humid hide

Attachments

• IMG_2290 (1).jpeg
    IMG_2290 (1).jpeg
    752.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 1580928270909.png
    1580928270909.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 17