Bullying or Just an Accident?

AZTorts

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
it's best to have on per enclosure if you want more then one torts don't do well together even calmer species still bullys

I didn't realize there were different temperaments associated with different types. So where on that scale do the Arizona Desert Tortoises fall?
I have been to the Phoenix Herpetological Society where they have a gazillion all mingling happily together. I feel like a failure. LOL

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I didn't realize there were different temperaments associated with different types. So where on that scale do the Arizona Desert Tortoises fall?
I have been to the Phoenix Herpetological Society where they have a gazillion all mingling happily together. I feel like a failure. LOL

you're not a failure every species fights some more then other's i know nothing about desert tort's so i couldn't tell you but i can tell you even the calmest of species you should still separate

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Male desert torts, russians and sulcatas can be some of the worse, as far as aggression is concerned. Its is usually not a problem with groups of babies or juveniles. You might just need to isolate that one individual and leave the other three together. Or just make a very large enclosure with lots of hiding areas and visual barriers.

If it were legal to breed DTs then yes, you would want one adult male and two or more adult females in a very large enclosure.

AZTorts

Arizona
Male desert torts, russians and sulcatas can be some of the worse, as far as aggression is concerned. Its is usually not a problem with groups of babies or juveniles. You might just need to isolate that one individual and leave the other three together. Or just make a very large enclosure with lots of hiding areas and visual barriers.

If it were legal to breed DTs then yes, you would want one adult male and two or more adult females in a very large enclosure.

Thanks Tom. It is legal at this time to breed them here in Arizona. That might be changing in 2015 though. I don't want to breed them though. I need to re home some next spring.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
When they sleep outside they often sleep next to each other even though they have plenty of room to go find their own space to sleep. Even that big one sleeps next to the other ones. Like they like each other but there's some sibling rivalry going on? I know it will get worse over time though.[/QUOTE
I don't know it tortoises recognize one another as siblings? That would be nice, though :) Maybe it's for shelter? Not warmth hehehe!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
LOL! I just went out to mist them a few minutes ago and he was sleeping right next to another one.

That does not mean anything. It just means they all happened to land in the same spot and its probably because that is just the best spot, from a tortoise point of view, to be in.

Proximity is often used as a way to intimidate other tortoises. Just like in the video you posted. The tortoise could have walked away after flipping the other one, but chose to stand there and be intimidating.

Same thing with following. They aren't walking together on a pleasant outing. The follower is mad dogging the leader and telling him/her to get out of his territory.

AZTorts

Arizona

Mine do! Mine are highly intelligent! LOL Unlike my box turtles who used to hang out together a lot and then the other day I saw one had flipped the other one over and was ramming him. I think it was over territory. The three toed happened to go out in the garden and under the pumpkin vines where the ornate has been sleeping of late. This is the third summer I've had them and I 've never seen that before.

AZTorts

Arizona
That does not mean anything. It just means they all happened to land in the same spot and its probably because that is just the best spot, from a tortoise point of view, to be in.

Proximity is often used as a way to intimidate other tortoises. Just like in the video you posted. The tortoise could have walked away after flipping the other one, but chose to stand there and be intimidating.

Same thing with following. They aren't walking together on a pleasant outing. The follower is mad dogging the leader and telling him/her to get out of his territory.

Geez! And they look so cute and sweet!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Geez! And they look so cute and sweet!

Cute and sweet? They are reptiles...

And you are not a failure. From what I have seen you are doing a great job and learning fast.

AZTorts

Arizona
Cute and sweet? They are reptiles...

And you are not a failure. From what I have seen you are doing a great job and learning fast.

Thank you! But I don't know about that. Just when I think I have a handle on it....something goes wrong. LOL

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
When they sleep outside they often sleep next to each other even though they have plenty of room to go find their own space to sleep. Even that big one sleeps next to the other ones. Like they like each other but there's some sibling rivalry going on? I know it will get worse over time though.

Sleeping together even though there is a large amount of room is more- "I want to use the good space- hey, me too!" and less- "awe buddy lets snuggle!"
;) :tort:

AZTorts

Arizona
Sleeping together even though there is a large amount of room is more- "I want to use the good space- hey, me too!" and less- "awe buddy lets snuggle!"
;) :tort:

I prefer the "awe buddy lets snuggle!" But I guess it's not Burger King and I can't have it my way. o_O I have to start thinking like a tortoise. :tort: Or in this case, four of them. :tort::tort::tort::tort:

AZTorts

Arizona
This is why you'll make a great tort keeper. ;)

I'm trying! I'm really trying to put into effect things people have said on here. For instance Tom had said the tortoises are pyramiding. I've only had them 2 months and that's how they were when I got them but I sure don't want it getting worse. So among other things I'm doing is I'm misting them. In fact I'm misting them so often that when they see me coming they all hold up little umbrellas. LOL Seriously though, I do want them to be healthy and happy and this forum is helping me to be a better tortoise mom. :<3:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! But I don't know about that. Just when I think I have a handle on it....something goes wrong. LOL

Don't sell yourself short. So what if you don't know everything yet? No one was born knowing this stuff. Its having the right attitude, learning, trying, and assimilating the right info, that makes a person a good animal caretaker. Years of experience will help solidify it all.

Many of us here have decades of experience and that's why we feel we can speak with some level of self-assuredness, but I don't know everything and I'm learning new things all the time too.

You are doing fine. Keep trying and keep learning. Your torts health will be your reward.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I view it (pyramiding) like this: It's an outward symptom of an inward issue... if they aren't hydrated enough or in the right environment, you'll see the unnatural growth of stacked keratin. So, you don't change the set up to eliminate the bumps for purely cosmetic reasons... you change it to make sure their needs are met. :) The "side effect" of raising them right is a nice shell, too!

AZTorts

Arizona
Don't sell yourself short. So what if you don't know everything yet? No one was born knowing this stuff. Its having the right attitude, learning, trying, and assimilating the right info, that makes a person a good animal caretaker. Years of experience will help solidify it all.

Many of us here have decades of experience and that's why we feel we can speak with some level of self-assuredness, but I don't know everything and I'm learning new things all the time too.

You are doing fine. Keep trying and keep learning. Your torts health will be your reward.

Awww thanks for your advice and support! Over all I'm enjoying learning about them. I just hope I don't let them down. You guys on here have been great!

AZTorts

Arizona
I view it (pyramiding) like this: It's an outward symptom of an inward issue... if they aren't hydrated enough or in the right environment, you'll see the unnatural growth of stacked keratin. So, you don't change the set up to eliminate the bumps for purely cosmetic reasons... you change it to make sure their needs are met. :) The "side effect" of raising them right is a nice shell, too!

Prior to me getting them, the people that had them kept them in a 10 gallon aquarium. According to what they told me, I don't know the people, but they said all I need to feed them is pureed broccoli. They said they don't need water, they get all they need from the broccoli. They were never soaked, no sunlight and the bulb over the aquarium looked like a regular incandescent bulb to me. So improper diet, lighting, and enclosure for the first 8 months of their lives. Oh, and they were just on newspaper in the aquarium. None of that sounded right to me. So when I brought them home I started researching like crazy. Especially since one didn't even open it's eyes, walk, or eat. I had no intention of coming home with tortoises that day. I just went to buy a cactus. LOL I think the tortoises are actually doing better than the cactus now. LOL Know anything about totem cactus? I know, wrong forum for that. :rolleyes: