Bulb problem?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi all,
Wonder if you can help me please. I bought a new MV bulb - Arcadia D3 UV E27 basking lamp (uva/uvb/ir 80w - as recommended by the guy in the reptile shop) on Monday but today I noticed that it is flickering slightly. Do they all do this or is it faulty? It cost me £45 so I will certainly be taking it back if this isn't normal, and apart from that don't want to upset my tortoise or hurt her eyes.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Hello and good day to you. No it should not be flikering. Try taking the bulb out and put in again. Maybe contact is not getting good contact. Lo. Um if it keepsflickering take it back. Not good for you or your torts eye. Hope this help. I did not check to see if this is a problem bulb or not. is a coil bulb? Through away. Some say

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi thanks for reply,
I have removed and re- screwed bulb and it does seemed to have settled down again, so thanks for that. I should have remembered I did that with the daylight spot - thought I'd bought a dud but just not screwed it in far enough. It isn't a coiled bulb - I have seen lots of warnings about them on the forums too, so steered clear of them. Will keep a close eye on it though in case it is faulty.
Bye for now Lyn

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi how are you and Esmerelda ? Think it was me being too careful - worried that it could break if I tightened it too much, they're not cheap are they? Could probably get it cheaper but not too many stockists around here - took me ages to find one. Maybe I'll order a spare online.
Lola seems to enjoy it though.
Lyn

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
All good, she's a lot warmer than me, it's 5C tonight; wish I had a CHE!

How's Lola?

No, not cheap at all, that seems particularly steep though. I get mine from Swell reptiles online, they usually have 10% discount codes flying around too, try SWELL10 at the checkout If you buy anything.

Did you say 80W mvb? I'm sure mine was 27.99 from there.

GraceR

Hi all,
Wonder if you can help me please. I bought a new MV bulb - Arcadia D3 UV E27 basking lamp (uva/uvb/ir 80w - as recommended by the guy in the reptile shop) on Monday but today I noticed that it is flickering slightly. Do they all do this or is it faulty? It cost me £45 so I will certainly be taking it back if this isn't normal, and apart from that don't want to upset my tortoise or hurt her eyes.

I have a similar issue with my bulb. To the normal eye it looks fine but if you try and take a photo or video near it. You can see by the moving dark and light stripes that go across the screen that there is a bit of a flicker. Does anybody else have this? Is it a problem?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes that happens until they burn in. They run on a ballast and it's not like an incandescent bulb.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Could is also be that the wattage of the bulb is to high for the socket it's in?