Best Bulb for a Russian tortoise

Cristín

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ireland and Scotland
Hi there, I recently read about the Mercury Vapour bulbs and how great they are for torts so I bought the Exo Teraa Solar Glo Mercury Vapour Lamp, 125 Watt on amazon for my russian tortoise. It was a lot more expensive than most of the other bulbs but I wanted a good one! It was great for a while then kept flickering on and off.. so I sent it back today and so my poor tortoise only has an infrared bulb til I buy him a proper one! I would really love to know the best bulb to buy him, brands etc as Im a bit lost now, might try the ExoTerra one again. What do you use for your tortoises? Also Im on a student budget so I was hoping to keep the bulb cost at a minimum but of course if Simon needs it I'll buy it for him:) Would really appreciate some lighting tips as this whole area has always confused me a bit.. Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The best strategy is to build a large safe enclosure and put your tortoise outside daily for real sunshine. If you can do this just a couple of times a week for an hour or so, you will not need artificial indoor UV, and you can use a regular incandescent flood bulb for a little light and heat while indoors.

It sounds like you might be using the wrong fixture for your previous MVB. They need large domed, ceramic based fixtures so they can properly cool while in operation. They also need to be mounted straight up and down and not at an angle. Was yours in too small of a fixture or mounted at an angle?

I think most of us prefer the Powersun out of all the MVBs. I have some that have been running for years with no issues.

If you rely solely on indoor UV for your tortoise, I highly recommend you get a light meter. Like this: http://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html It is just as important as a thermometer is for tortoise that never see the great outdoors.

Cristín

5 Year Member
Ireland and Scotland
Hi Tom, thanks very much for your reply!
I live in Ireland so the sun isn't always shining but now for the next couple of months he'll be out in his pen for a few hours each day. I didn't know a UV lamp wasnt necessary if that was the case.
My lamp is an Exo Terra ceramic lamp I tried to put a photo of it in there don't know if it uploaded.
You may be right as I had it clamped at an angle.. Will check out the Powersun MVB..

Attachments

• lampp.jpg
    lampp.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 6

Cristín

5 Year Member
Ireland and Scotland
I also have this lamp at home if you think it would be better?

Attachments

• 51-ezmri1-L._SL1081_.jpg
    51-ezmri1-L._SL1081_.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 7