Bucking Big Bully

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Well, it has happened as I was warned it would.

My redfoots are now around 15 months old and I have been keeping them together from I got them last April. All seemed OK but I was watching them carefully, and this morning I saw the slightly bigger one bullying the other one when they were in their warm bath. I was amazed.....the bully would buck the other one hard, then back off, gather himself and resume the attack, and again! I have now permanently separated them, but not before I noticed that the smaller one has a slight pyramiding on the carapace near his rear end, whereas the "bully" is smooth all round. Maybe this is due to stress, because they both have the same level of humidity and there would be no reason for any pyramiding on either of them unless stress also plays a part in it. So, no more of that, Mr. (or Miss) Big Bully! Separation is the way to go!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
How many do you keep in a enclosure?
Well I only have 2, so now there will be one tortoise in one enclosure.
I understand that sometimes it will be OK to house multiple (more than 2) of them together, but there have to be certain conditions for this to work without any problems!

j_caouette

Well I only have 2, so now there will be one tortoise in one enclosure.
I understand that sometimes it will be OK to house multiple (more than 2) of them together, but there have to be certain conditions for this to work without any problems!
I currently house 2 of them also and was noticing the bigger was showing dominance over he smaller one but now there's no sign of it after I added more hides into the enclosure. But I'm going to try and add a 3rd soon and expand there enclosure!