YF egg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In June of '04 I hatched three YF eggs. I kept the three babies. This was my ignorant period, or before I learned about hot/humid, and I raised them with what was then, normal soakings and fairly dry conditions. They're pretty little pineapples. Because they were all three in the same enclosure, even though it was a pretty big enclosure, they all bit each others' tails off. There wasn't one bully, all three of them were bullies.

Because they have no tails it's been pretty hard to determine their sex, but when the larger of the three started following the big female around like it wanted to breed, I just figured all of them were male. Seems like all I can hatch here are male, so it fit.

Well, last night I found a small egg behind that YF and when I looked at her cloaca, there was a dab of blood. So my three males (or rather two, because one was found dead on its back a while ago) are now females!

Both of them are too small to be laying eggs. I guess I'm going to have to separate their Rain Forest yard into male/female Rain Forest.

YF egg.jpg

I had been considering advertising them for sale as "pet quality" because of their small size and deformed shapes, but maybe I'll just keep them and try to grow them bigger.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Congrats on the egg...can we see the torts? I like pineapples. ;)

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
do you think the egg is any good? and i've heard yellowfoots are more aggressive then reds but have never seen a yellow so i can't be sure lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt it. She's too small to have been bred.

(but it's in the cooker)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
They look like 2/3 of my reds. Not terrible but still bumpity.
1473988640078.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll clean them up and take pictures after I get home from running errands. There was another small egg in their yard last night.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'll clean them up and take pictures after I get home from running errands. There was another small egg in their yard last night.

Keep us posted! I think they're beautiful despite the minor bumps. Very cool surprise for you to receive a couple eggs!