Humidifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Floresville TX
What is the best humidifier to use? We are building a table hopefully next week it keeps having to be put off but I'm moving by the 17th so as soon as I move we are building it :)
I'm going to have 2 more red foots. Annabella is going to a new home because she's a bully and I can't have 3 enclosures. So Dory will be in one and the other 2 (my sons) in the other.
I want to get a humidifier for in the enclosure because there going to be closed in.
I know I don't need one but would like to have one to use some times. :)

Thanks
Jess

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just bought a 30.00 + personal one from bed, bath and beyond when I used one for my leopard. Warm mist, not cool. It had to be filled twice a day though. Just don't buy one that is made for reptiles, they don't last long at all. I had tried two of them and both on,y lasted about a month. That's why I went with a regular home one.

Jd3

5 Year Member
I prefer cool mist. They last longer.

Your best bet for long term use is RO or DI water. Harder tap water funks them up so fast. Don't expect to run 24/7.

If the enclosure really is enclosed, it won't need to. A few times a day for am hour or two, mixed with a damp bottom substrate.

jerbs

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
I prefer cool mist. It warms up as soon as it travels in to the enclosure. If you get warm mist, be sure it's not hot. Some are!

Get one you can hook a tube up to. Leave it out of enclosure and just run hose in. Use outlet timer. I clean mine every 10 days, refill tank every 4-5.

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
I was considering switching to a warm mist because my family is ac crazy in the summer. Which works better for a rf? Wouldn't a coll lower the temps?

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I have a polar bear cool mist one and it's fitted with a tube into the closed chamber enclosure. It runs based off two hygrometers and during the winter it ran probably once a day (or after I left the doors open to tend to things) but now with our humid summers it runs maybe twice a week.

I keep her enclosure at 80% humidity to 100% (after I water plants it spikes up). She's most active when it's higher humidity I've noticed but it's nice the substrate is not damp to avoid shell rot.

On days when I take her outside its usually 80%+ humidity and 85 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.