Brumation vs normal hatchling behavior vs abnormal

SuzanneZ

Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown
I wanted to let y’all know that tort seems to be doing quite well. Very curious about everything and whenever I make a commotion setting something up in the tub, always comes out to presumably yell at me to get off the lawn.

I have some concerns regarding feeding, but they suuuuuuure don’t have me as freaked out as a couple of days ago!
It really likes when I hand feed it. Like.. it’s really really spoiled. It will kind of go eat in its own, but normally I’ll hand it a piece then decides that it’s hungry and goes over to the food dish. Perhaps this is must because I can’t watch it 24/7. Although I might be close.

More concerning is its curiosity to put everything in its mouth. The odd rock in the substrate is attacked; sometimes tries to eat the orchid bark too. Idk if taste might be aT better word than eat.

Finally it… misses its target a lot? Like I’m holding something out and it comes for a bite, but just has the angle all wrong or misses entirely.

Am I just tripping and no need to be concerned because it’s like what three months old or what? Especially the substrate taste testing.
M
I wanted to let y’all know that tort seems to be doing quite well. Very curious about everything and whenever I make a commotion setting something up in the tub, always comes out to presumably yell at me to get off the lawn.

I have some concerns regarding feeding, but they suuuuuuure don’t have me as freaked out as a couple of days ago!
It really likes when I hand feed it. Like.. it’s really really spoiled. It will kind of go eat in its own, but normally I’ll hand it a piece then decides that it’s hungry and goes over to the food dish. Perhaps this is must because I can’t watch it 24/7. Although I might be close.

More concerning is its curiosity to put everything in its mouth. The odd rock in the substrate is attacked; sometimes tries to eat the orchid bark too. Idk if taste might be a better word than eat.

Finally it… misses its target a lot? Like I’m holding something out and it comes for a bite, but just has the angle all wrong or misses entirely.

Am I just tripping and no need to be concerned because it’s like what three months old or what? Especially the substrate taste testing

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
If it tries to bite a rock or a piece of substrate once - I think there is nothing to worry about. Kind of "testing edibility". In the wild all sorts of strange things are found in their poop.

If it happens really often this might be a lightning issue. E.g. if you have colored lamps or there is a color reflection or something. In my enclosure green insulation panels on the wall gave greenish hue to everything under bright lights and tortoise tried to chew some cypress mulch.

"Missing the target" is pretty normal, I think. Tortoise don't need to be precise with bites as much as snakes do - when eating a plant it's not a "hit or stay hungry" situation. However, make sure you have correct lightning setup (e.g. *not* using a coil bulb for UV).