Redfoot hatchling umbilical scar

Dankneepowpow

Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu
Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum and this is my first post. I have a Redfoot hatchling who I was told is about 3 weeks old, still has an egg tooth and everything. I was wondering if his umbilical scar looks normal. This is my first hatchling so a lot of this is new to me. He’s so young I’m hoping it’s just scar tissue and will fall off eventually but I want to make sure it’s not infected or anything.

His enclosure is set up with zoo med repta bark and has a basking area that is about 90 F and a cool side that is about 75 F. His hide box has orchid moss to maintain humidity. He gets soakings once a day and has been eating his greens like a champ.

I hope he is fine and healthy he’s so stinking cute! Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• D4D3A7E6-0009-48B0-9FEE-7AA8CA5C0016.jpeg
    D4D3A7E6-0009-48B0-9FEE-7AA8CA5C0016.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 19
  • E3962D30-A69A-48D9-99CC-EAE775EA3DA5.jpeg
    E3962D30-A69A-48D9-99CC-EAE775EA3DA5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome, hopefully an expert with babies can help. How often do you soak him?

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
Hello and thank you! I soak him once a day for 15 minutes in the morning. After his soak he’s very energetic and eats his greens and explores, then goes into his hide box and sleeps. I only got him 2 days ago so I think he’s still getting settled in.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I don't know about redfoots but maybe soak him longer because the babies need it. Make sure the water doesn't get cold. Hopefully someone will help you soon. Very cute

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That will heal with no problem. Soaks will help. You want to soak a baby at least 30 min or so every day.

The yolk sac scar does show the baby was not started well- was kept too dry from the time it hatched. But keep up the soaks and there is a good chance it will be OK.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Your enclosure is cute! However, the mesh top will allow the humidity to flick away quickly, and tropical rainforest animals need the humidity in the range of 75% to 95%, especially hatchlings. I would find a piece of plexiglass fitted to the size of the mesh, and have some air holes drilled in it (hardware stores can often do this) and a space cut out for the uv/heat lamp. This will trap the humidity in the cage and make success much easier for your little guy.

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
Thanks team! I will definitely increase soaking durations for the lil guy. I’m glad to hear this is somewhat normal looking though, I was very concerned. A plexi glass cover for the top sounds like a great idea too thank you! I live in Hawai’i and the ambient humidity is usually around 70% so I give him some sprays to increase that, but a plexiglass cover will definitely help. Mahalo everyone!

Reactions: Ink

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
Upon suggestions from the forum I added a plexiglass cover to increase humidity, worked like a charm! I’ll start giving lil’ Chevy 30 minute soaks starting tomorrow. Thanks again! C4254E2F-5672-4DDC-A6AB-703D5B89BA1B.jpeg

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
Hi team,

update: I gave Chevy a 30 min soak today and let him enjoy some time In the grass. When I went to put him in his enclosure I noticed his umbilical scab actually had blood coming from it! I put him in his enclosure and watched him, he’s acting normal eating his food and walking around. Should I be concerned? Should I apply first aid or antibiotic ointment? Any advice would be appreciated!839C5CC0-2B94-466D-AA65-E4CBF8AD647F.jpeg