Sulcata with abnormal urination?? Looking for any advice

Thessle

Location (City and/or State)
Maine
Hi Everyone. I’ve had my Sulcata in calling her Milly even though it’s too early to know the sex for sure, for almost a year now. She has moved up her status so she is now getting 1/4 of the entire living room floor devoted to her romping around. She is active and has a good appetite…acting completely normal for as much as I can tell. She gets about 2 soakings a day and eats mainly weeds from backyard and escarole along with grasses I grow for her. I lightly sprinkle calcium and vitamin powder on her greens 2-3 times a week…and as I say it’s only lightly sprinkled. Now I have noticed for last 1-2 months there are times when she urinates that this white stuff comes out with it. Her vast amount of urine is clear almost like clean water then this white stuff shoots out . It doesn’t come out every time she urinates …sometimes it’s just the clear liquid. It’s very weird to see and worries me even though she acts completely happy and healthy. I’m hoping with my pictures someone knows what this is and whether I need to be concerned or not….kinda foolish statement…I’m already concerned ….so I guess more concerned.
‘Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• 3169FF97-D0FD-4502-8CCD-D0584ADB2050.jpeg
    3169FF97-D0FD-4502-8CCD-D0584ADB2050.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • DC8D6748-493A-4301-8B39-77A45CE9390F.jpeg
    DC8D6748-493A-4301-8B39-77A45CE9390F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 45E0DAE6-4CF1-489E-B97B-9C8E628F4B6B.jpeg
    45E0DAE6-4CF1-489E-B97B-9C8E628F4B6B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • F3DDDDC1-84CF-4782-902B-3038583DB49B.jpeg
    F3DDDDC1-84CF-4782-902B-3038583DB49B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep, the “white stuff” should be creamy and is perfectly normal in a well hydrated tortoise. It’s called urates.

Do a search on the forum & tons of info will appear.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Everyone. I’ve had my Sulcata in calling her Milly even though it’s too early to know the sex for sure, for almost a year now. She has moved up her status so she is now getting 1/4 of the entire living room floor devoted to her romping around. She is active and has a good appetite…acting completely normal for as much as I can tell. She gets about 2 soakings a day and eats mainly weeds from backyard and escarole along with grasses I grow for her. I lightly sprinkle calcium and vitamin powder on her greens 2-3 times a week…and as I say it’s only lightly sprinkled. Now I have noticed for last 1-2 months there are times when she urinates that this white stuff comes out with it. Her vast amount of urine is clear almost like clean water then this white stuff shoots out . It doesn’t come out every time she urinates …sometimes it’s just the clear liquid. It’s very weird to see and worries me even though she acts completely happy and healthy. I’m hoping with my pictures someone knows what this is and whether I need to be concerned or not….kinda foolish statement…I’m already concerned ….so I guess more concerned.
‘Any help is appreciated
Your tortoise is being housed much too dry and is pyramiding severely. You would not normally see urates coming from a tortoise that is soaked daily, but when they are too dry, it happens, and that is what you are seeing.

Loose on the floor is not safe and can't be made safe. If you are making a quarter of the room a dedicated tortoise enclosure, it needs to be heated and humidified like any other enclosure.

Every day that goes by the damage will get worse. Your tortoise needs monsoon conditions ASAP. You need a large closed chamber.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Tom said it straight and that's because he cares, and absolutely knows what's going to work for your precious little tortoise. Please take the truly important advice and save your tortoise!

Thessle

Maine
Your tortoise is being housed much too dry and is pyramiding severely. You would not normally see urates coming from a tortoise that is soaked daily, but when they are too dry, it happens, and that is what you are seeing.

Loose on the floor is not safe and can't be made safe. If you are making a quarter of the room a dedicated tortoise enclosure, it needs to be heated and humidified like any other enclosure.

Every day that goes by the damage will get worse. Your tortoise needs monsoon conditions ASAP. You need a large closed chamber.

Tom I totally understand the concern you might have over humidity because most owners aren’t supplying the proper amounts……with mine he is in his heated enclosure with an 80% humidity and goes in her heated poll for sunbaths…hats why I think it’s a female 😋. It had 1/4 living room

I

IThe tort Milly is getting 2 baths a day and it always looks as she drinks when in the water…..spends most her day over about a 102-107 degrees heat mat…. I know kinda seems high but my heat gun may be off a bit. .…..then cools on a 85-87 degree area all in a 80% humidity box plus 2 soaks a day. And I see no pyramiding….I’ve been watchful for it
‘She isn’t exposed to,open low humid area ….would still appreciate if someone could answer my rea question of the white stuff coming out in her ursine …just unrated and nothing to worrry about I’m hoping.
the barn thing ain't even

Thessle

Maine
Tom I totally understand the concern you might have over humidity because most owners aren’t supplying the proper amounts……with mine he is in his heated enclosure with an 80% humidity and goes in her heated poll for sunbaths…hats why I think it’s a female 😋. It had 1/4 living room

I

IThe tort Milly is getting 2 baths a day and it always looks as she drinks when in the water…..spends most her day over about a 102-107 degrees heat mat…. I know kinda seems high but my heat gun may be off a bit. .…..then cools on a 85-87 degree area all in a 80% humidity box plus 2 soaks a day. And I see no pyramiding….I’ve been watchful for it
‘She isn’t exposed to,open low humid area ….would still appreciate if someone could answer my rea question of the white stuff coming out in her ursine …just unrated and nothing to worrry about I’m hoping.
Tom I totally understand the concern you might have over humidity because most owners aren’t supplying the proper amounts……with mine he is in his heated enclosure with an 80% humidity and goes in her heated poll for sunbaths…hats why I think it’s a female 😋. It had 1/4 living room so here isare moreDB19473D-34A7-47A8-9F76-5AF3CFA04EE2.jpeg

I

Attachments

• DB50B589-163B-48A4-884A-45ED33804B71.jpeg
    DB50B589-163B-48A4-884A-45ED33804B71.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • A0907A96-1148-4EB4-880C-6BAC73EB8117.jpeg
    A0907A96-1148-4EB4-880C-6BAC73EB8117.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9

Thessle

Maine

I

So back to my first question ….is the white stuff just Ur

I

I

I

I

His box literally drips water on the in side all the time. humidity is 80 + in there constantly I add the water the the coco substrate and you build hills and mounds and give them their choice.

Thessle

Maine

So just hoping for something helpful,a

I

His box literally drips water on the in side all the time. humidity is 80 + in there constantly I add the water the the coco substrate and you build hills and mounds and give them their choice. So ar

I

the barn thi

I

I

the barn thing ain't even….. I’ve got plenty bclose on all but the urinary prob

I

I

Last thing is her being under hydrated…….I’m adhd and I tell you if anything I think if Milly could speak she would say i could chill on the water with her.

Thessle

Maine

His box literally drips water on the in side all the time. humidity is 80 + in there constantly I add the water the the coco substrate and you build hills and mounds and give them their choice.
I li

P
So back to my first question ….is the white stuff ?:

Thessle

Maine
Thanks for all the criticisms and otherwise useless crap I received after asking my question….which never got answered….no worries though I figured it out myself as I should have done from he beginning. I’ve struggled awhile here with a couple…mainly 1 person who’s word is precious and practically as if god himself spoke, while everyone else here are just part of an ignorant heard waiting for the next spoken words from the ‘wise one”.
well thanks for nothing Mr Wisdom. I think I realize why you like tortoise’s so much….they are a captive audience and cant give you feedback. Obviously the perfect and prob only audience you’ll ever have that’s captivated…..or should I just say captive.

PollyAda

West Midlands, England

I

Hi there. Even though you are soaking your tort, might she still be getting dehydrated if spending most of her time on a heat mat? As young torts are normally heated from above, she may be overheating?

As others have said, gritty urates (the white stuff) is usually a sign of dehydration.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Thanks for all the criticisms and otherwise useless crap I received after asking my question….which never got answered….no worries though I figured it out myself as I should have done from he beginning. I’ve struggled awhile here with a couple…mainly 1 person who’s word is precious and practically as if god himself spoke, while everyone else here are just part of an ignorant heard waiting for the next spoken words from the ‘wise one”.
well thanks for nothing Mr Wisdom. I think I realize why you like tortoise’s so much….they are a captive audience and cant give you feedback. Obviously the perfect and prob only audience you’ll ever have that’s captivated…..or should I just say captive.

Sorry, the formatting was a bit odd on your messages. To answer your question, yes, the white stuff in the original photos are urates.

Thessle

Maine
Hi there. Even though you are soaking your tort, might she still be getting dehydrated if spending most of her time on a heat mat? As young torts are normally heated from above, she may be overheating?

As others have said, gritty urates (the white stuff) is usually a sign of dehydration.
Hi thanks for answering. The heat mat is under a layer of moist cococoir? Sp. and a black Tupperware tub is upside down making it her hot box. She lovers it in there but also has the option to go under lights and be in a wading pool to warm up …which she does 1-2 times a day of her own choosing.Then I give her her 2 soaks in addition to all this and it always looks like she drinks a few gulps of water every time I put her in to soak..
the white material that came out wasn’t gritty or thick in any way. I tried to actually feel it to see and it just broke up I couldn’t feel anything but water.
Sorry, the formatting was a bit odd on your messages. To answer your question, yes, the white stuff in the original photos are urates.
thank you Vlad for reply

Thessle

Maine
Hi thanks for answering. The heat mat is under a layer of moist cococoir? Sp. and a black Tupperware tub is upside down making it her hot box. She lovers it in there but also has the option to go under lights and be in a wading pool to warm up …which she does 1-2 times a day of her own choosing.Then I give her her 2 soaks in addition to all this and it always looks like she drinks a few gulps of water every time I put her in to soak..
the white material that came out wasn’t gritty or thick in any way. I tried to actually feel it to see and it just broke up I couldn’t feel anything but water.

thank you Vlad for reply
They are not thick and actually fall apArt in the water fairly quickly

nicoleann2214

NY
They are not thick and actually fall apArt in the water fairly quickly
Urates are completely normal as long as they’re not hard and gritty. I suggest getting rid of the rocks in case your tort flips over climbing them. I’d add complete coco choir to the enclosure, sulcatas like to burrow and it would promote humidity. Your tortoise has some pyramiding, I would switch to a closed chamber, that way no humidity or heat escapes. I used a grow tent for when my sulcata was a baby to keep good heat and humidity in and it worked wonders!

Thessle

Maine
Urates are completely normal as long as they’re not hard and gritty. I suggest getting rid of the rocks in case your tort flips over climbing them. I’d add complete coco choir to the enclosure, sulcatas like to burrow and it would promote humidity. Your tortoise has some pyramiding, I would switch to a closed chamber, that way no humidity or heat escapes. I used a grow tent for when my sulcata was a baby to keep good heat and humidity in and it worked wonders!
Actally everything has sort of work and I found yes I needed more humidification.. just feels weird….I am so compulsive . I felt I was overhydrated him/her if anything. Oh welll always relearning old tactics

nicoleann2214

NY
Actally everything has sort of work and I found yes I needed more humidification.. just feels weird….I am so compulsive . I felt I was overhydrated him/her if anything. Oh welll always relearning old tactics
All good! Always a learning curve .

Thessle

Maine
This is for anyone curious or experiencing the same problem I had….my tortoise was under hydrated causing the white urates. It was hard for me to believe in the beginning because I soaked everyday for a minimum of 1/2 hr. Plus their tort would voluntarily take baths in a warm smoke pool I provided….I think the best help I heard wars bottom or mat heating is very dehydrating for them. My tort does not like to bask under a warm light….it has always since day 1 preferred a warm hide box to burrow in. I always kept a moist coco fiber so I knew the humidity was high.
Regardless it wasn't enough. Now that I increased the soak time to an hour a day with everything else remaining the same the issue of urates has gone. I guess I did make one other change and slightly reduced the supplemental calcium and vitamin powder I used on its food a couple times a week. I truly think it’s the extended baths though that really made the difference…..either way problem solved and I can relax a bit knowing my little buddy is hopefully happier and healthier. Thank you all for your help and input.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I was just re-reading some of this post, and if you look back to my very first reply - Post #2 on 19 November, you will see that I said the “white stuff” was urates & perfectly normal. I even provided a link to another source that described all about urates.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
This is for anyone curious or experiencing the same problem I had….my tortoise was under hydrated causing the white urates. It was hard for me to believe in the beginning because I soaked everyday for a minimum of 1/2 hr. Plus their tort would voluntarily take baths in a warm smoke pool I provided….I think the best help I heard wars bottom or mat heating is very dehydrating for them. My tort does not like to bask under a warm light….it has always since day 1 preferred a warm hide box to burrow in. I always kept a moist coco fiber so I knew the humidity was high.
Regardless it wasn't enough. Now that I increased the soak time to an hour a day with everything else remaining the same the issue of urates has gone. I guess I did make one other change and slightly reduced the supplemental calcium and vitamin powder I used on its food a couple times a week. I truly think it’s the extended baths though that really made the difference…..either way problem solved and I can relax a bit knowing my little buddy is hopefully happier and healthier. Thank you all for your help and input.
I just wanted to add that a certain amount of urate production is perfectly normal, though some tortoises never do, so if the occasional white streak appears , as long as it is a creamy consistency, and not gritty or very thick, it is fine.
Angie