Brumation vs normal hatchling behavior vs abnormal

marbalboy

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas NV
Hello, new desert tort hatchling custodian here.

My hatchling appears to be much more settled in.
Eating regularly, exploring when new things are added to enclosure.
But I still haven’t seen it poop. It’s been nearly a week and perhaps I just can’t find any?? That’s my biggest issue.
Also, it’s started to sleep in its burrow for many more hours a day. Should I be concerned that these are related?

Should I wake it up and disturb for a soak or leave it to burrow? It always seems to drink a lot of water during soaks and so I am concerned about getting rid of those. Any tips on keeping the water warm too?

I’ve been trying to keep the humidity up around 40-50% but it’s challenging. Daytime temps between 80-90.

Bevause the hatchling is so new to me and I am unsure if it’s health and it’s obviously eating but the poop has absconded away apparently I can’t let it Brumate. So wtf. 😫

SuzanneZ

Georgetown

But I still haven’t seen it poop. It’s been nearly a week and perhaps I just can’t find any?? That’s my biggest issue.
Also, it’s started to sleep in its burrow for many more hours a day. Should I be concerned that these are related?

Should I wake it up and disturb for a soak or leave it to burrow? It always seems to drink a lot of water during soaks and so I am concerned about getting rid of those. Any tips on keeping the water warm too?

I’ve been trying to keep the humidity up around 40-50% but it’s challenging. Daytime temps between 80-90.

Bevause the hatchling is so new to me and I am unsure if it’s health and it’s obviously eating but the poop has absconded away apparently I can’t let it Brumate. So wtf. 😫
Welcome. I'm new too, but I'll answer the ones I know by experience or reading it here.

Getting rid of soaks or burrowing?

Warm water soaks usually lead to elimination. Both kinds. You could keep adding warm water to the bath while removing some that has cooled.

To me you and s(he) are doing well. You can relax until somebody tells you otherwise. 🙂

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you have correct temps? Incandescent flood bulb for basking that reaches 95-100. Must have proper basking in order to properly digest food and keep things inside working right
Humidity needs to be 80%. You need a closed chamber to keep correct humidity and temps
Keep lights on for 12-14 hours except the uvb only needs 2_4 hours.
Make sure its bright so he doesn't try to brumate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

You should be soaking a hatchling every day. Keep the water warm by soaking the tortoise somewhere warm, or by adding more warm water periodically.

Humidity is best maintained by using a closed chamber. 40-50% is too low for a hatchling and he will pyramid. Do you have a humid hide?

Babies can brumate if it is done correctly.

Start here and look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom. Most of the advice you get for DT care is all wrong.

marbalboy

Las Vegas NV
Do you have correct temps? Incandescent flood bulb for basking that reaches 95-100. Must have proper basking in order to properly digest food and keep things inside working right
Humidity needs to be 80%. You need a closed chamber to keep correct humidity and temps
Make sure its bright so he doesn't try to brumate.
I think I need higher temperatures. And higher humidity. Thank you

marbalboy

Las Vegas NV

Bevause the hatchling is so new to me and I am unsure if it’s health and it’s obviously eating but the poop has absconded away apparently I can’t let it Brumate. So wtf.

@Well

@

@

@SuzanneZ thank you for calling me down and @wellington thanks for the specific advice and @Tom thank you for referring me
I’ve read jf multiple times it’s ridiculously helpful; I think if I repeat questions that have been answered, it’s either for clarification or to make sure I’m understanding correctly. For that I do apologize.

Now that my head is on a bit straighter, perhaps I can word my questions a bit better because rereading how i wrote the out is 😑.

I definitely will get the temps and humidity up and I am sure it will help.

While i still haven’t found poop, i finally found wee. It was quite liquidy and white. Is that s good thing? Is it, unlike humans, any indication that his GI tract is working well and there is probably poop around or is that still something I should be very concerned about?

Lately, he come me outnin the morning for a bite and s shirt explore and then retreats to go back to sleep in his hide. He usually only wakes up again in the evening if I make him. Is it bad to make him get up like this? Is it bad that he is sleeping like this? Is this sleeping what a normal hatchling does or is it trying to Brumate?

When I wake him up, I usually give him a soak. He never poops in the water. Seems like he almost falls asleep in it. After awhile probably because I’m making a commotion, he wakes up and then eats like a horse then immediately goes back to bed! Is a big meal before bed deleterious to his health to the extent that I shouldn’t let him eat? Is it better for me to let him sleep undisturbed, therefore skipping that soak, and instead doing it when he wakes up the next day? Or is waking him up not too stressful and good for not brumating (if that’s what it’s trying to do, or is this sleeping normal hatchling behavior and i am causing undue stress?

The reason I have been avoiding brumating is because I’ve only had it a week; it seemed (from my absolute novice experience) a little bit unhealthy when I rescued him from his outdoor, uncovered “enclosure” (he had literally escaped when I came to pick him up and we spent two hours searching for him). Sunken eyes, seemed pale (can tortoise seen pale?); I haven’t found poop; he is eating a lot; we are probably going to the vet on the 31st. Do y’all think this is not the right call?

As for the soaking, this might sound ridiculous but is there a way to make it less of a pain in the ***? Tort is so small and so his bath is so small. The temperatures drop quick. It’s difficult to funnel some out then some got in constantly for 30 minutes. It’s also mean to disturb him by tipping it and pouring it out. So yeah. Just curious if y’all have extra tips.

For raising the temp in the tank: I’m going to need another bulb. Since I learned that the uvb should not be on all day, I now need an ambient light bulb. However, I think I also need some nighttime heat. What are the best things to get ? I currently have the uvb and a strong basking Heat.

Thank you all and I’ hope this clarified.

Attachments

• IMG_0214.png
    IMG_0214.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0182.png
    IMG_0182.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Make sure its bright so he doesn't try to brumat

@Well

@

@

@SuzanneZ thank you for calling me down and @wellington thanks for the specific advice and @Tom thank you for referring me
I’ve read jf multiple times it’s ridiculously helpful; I think if I repeat questions that have been answered, it’s either for clarification or to make sure I’m understanding correctly. For that I do apologize.

Now that my head is on a bit straighter, perhaps I can word my questions a bit better because rereading how i wrote the out is 😑.

I definitely will get the temps and humidity up and I am sure it will help.

While i still haven’t found poop, i finally found wee. It was quite liquidy and white. Is that s good thing? Is it, unlike humans, any indication that his GI tract is working well and there is probably poop around or is that still something I should be very concerned about?

Lately, he come me outnin the morning for a bite and s shirt explore and then retreats to go back to sleep in his hide. He usually only wakes up again in the evening if I make him. Is it bad to make him get up like this? Is it bad that he is sleeping like this? Is this sleeping what a normal hatchling does or is it trying to Brumate?

When I wake him up, I usually give him a soak. He never poops in the water. Seems like he almost falls asleep in it. After awhile probably because I’m making a commotion, he wakes up and then eats like a horse then immediately goes back to bed! Is a big meal before bed deleterious to his health to the extent that I shouldn’t let him eat? Is it better for me to let him sleep undisturbed, therefore skipping that soak, and instead doing it when he wakes up the next day? Or is waking him up not too stressful and good for not brumating (if that’s what it’s trying to do, or is this sleeping normal hatchling behavior and i am causing undue stress?

The reason I have been avoiding brumating is because I’ve only had it a week; it seemed (from my absolute novice experience) a little bit unhealthy when I rescued him from his outdoor, uncovered “enclosure” (he had literally escaped when I came to pick him up and we spent two hours searching for him). Sunken eyes, seemed pale (can tortoise seen pale?); I haven’t found poop; he is eating a lot; we are probably going to the vet on the 31st. Do y’all think this is not the right call?

As for the soaking, this might sound ridiculous but is there a way to make it less of a pain in the ***? Tort is so small and so his bath is so small. The temperatures drop quick. It’s difficult to funnel some out then some got in constantly for 30 minutes. It’s also mean to disturb him by tipping it and pouring it out. So yeah. Just curious if y’all have extra tips.

For raising the temp in the tank: I’m going to need another bulb. Since I learned that the uvb should not be on all day, I now need an ambient light bulb. However, I think I also need some nighttime heat. What are the best things to get ? I currently have the uvb and a strong basking Heat.

Thank you all and I’ hope this clarified.
I can't see that anything I said was calling you down.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Before answering your questions, I see that you have moss in the enclosure. That needs to be removed ASAP. They eat it and it can cause impaction. Please review this for all the things NOT to do, like moss:

There is a temperate species care sheet with more info near the bottom.

The white stuff is urates. Its concentrated urine. This is not related to the fecal matter, other than the fact that both come out of a common opening called the cloaca in reptiles and birds. Urates are a by-product of protein digestion. They are usually seen when an animal is not well hydrated. If whoever had this tortoise before you followed the typical wrong advice given for DTs, then dehydration is likely. Its the number one killer of baby tortoises. You are already taking the right steps to correct the situation.

Hard to say. Babies do sleep and hide a lot. If your belly is full and your needs are all met, no need to expose yourself to predators, right?

I would get him up during the day, but many of them go to bed in the late afternoon. I would not get the tortoise up in the evening. Many people make the mistake of turning the lights off since the tortoise went to bed. The tortoise can still see that it is daylight outside even when it is hiding in its shelter. Lights need to stay on 12-13 hours if you don't want it to brumate.

He needs the soaks. The urates demonstrate that. Its normal for them to eat and then retreat. As long as the temperatures are correct, this is fine. If they eat and then go over to a cold dark corner, that would not be good.

Don't over think all of this. Go about your business and do what needs to be done. The tortoise will be fine. Get him up if he doesn't get up on his own. Soak him daily. Make sure he is eating. Keep him warm. Enjoy his company. Marvel at how fantastic he is in every way.

No one can answer this. They do bounce back quickly, but you do not have to brumate. I probably would, but its probably best that you don't in this case.

No point in going to a vet. That will stress him, and there is nothing a vet can see from examining a baby tortoise that is helpful. The only way to help a baby is proper hydration, temperatures, housing and lighting. Vets don't know tortoise care. They learn it from the same wrong sources that everyone else learns it from. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school. Most of them, sadly, do more harm than good. Vets are good when you want to do a fecal check, get medicine, or need help with an injury. Day to day husbandry and keeping a baby alive and healthy is not their area of expertise.

Soak somewhere warm. In the enclosure near the heat lamp, or outside in the sun, etc... Be SUPER careful. You want it warm, but you don't want to cook him. On hot days, put the soak container halfway in the sun and continually check the temp every few minutes. Move the container more in the sun as needed. Set the container somewhere that if you get distracted the torts ends up in full shade, NOT full sun. You can also set a hardware cloth or welded wire cover on top of the soaking container to keep birds out. On cooler days, full sun will probably work because the evaporative cooling offsets the heating done by the sun. Use your judgment and be careful.

I use closed chambers for babies. The chambers are warm and humid, and this prevents/reduces evaporative cooling while simultaneously keeping the tortoise in a warm area. I soak my babies in plastic show boxes inside their enclosure.

Alternatively, have two soaking containers. When one cools, move him into the warm one. Repeat as needed.

Lighting and heating is broken down at the end of this thread, and again in the temperate species care sheet near the bottom.

Your welcome. Happy to help. Questions are welcome. Ask for more clarification wherever and whenever it is needed. I want your baby to survive and thrive!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
> For raising the temp in the tank: I’m going to need another bulb. Since I learned that the uvb should not be on all day, I now need an ambient light bulb. However, I think I also need some nighttime heat. What are the best things to get ? I currently have the uvb and a strong basking Heat

Typical setup looks like this:
Basking spot:
1. T5HO UVB lamp - runs 2-4 hours a day, on timer
2. Incandescent flood lamp - provides heat and light in the basking spot. Runs 10-12 hours a day.
Ambient (overall enclosure):
1. Cold light LED light (strip or bulb, color temperature around 6500K). Runs 10-12 hours a day.
2. Ceramic heat emitter - provides heat all the day. Runs always, MUST be controlled by a thermostat.

I hope that helps a bit.

P.S. - you can skip my reply and just read what Tom said :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
> For raising the temp in the tank: I’m going to need another bulb. Since I learned that the uvb should not be on all day, I now need an ambient light bulb. However, I think I also need some nighttime heat. What are the best things to get ? I currently have the uvb and a strong basking Heat

Typical setup looks like this:
Basking spot:
1. T5HO UVB lamp - runs 2-4 hours a day, on timer
2. Incandescent flood lamp - provides heat and light in the basking spot. Runs 10-12 hours a day.
Ambient (overall enclosure):
1. Cold light LED light (strip or bulb, color temperature around 6500K). Runs 10-12 hours a day.
2. Ceramic heat emitter - provides heat all the day. Runs always, MUST be controlled by a thermostat.

I hope that helps a bit.
I like this post, but with a couple of exceptions. Unless someone is trying to induce brumation for a temperate species of tortoise, there is no situation where the heat lamp and ambient bulb should only be on for 10 hours. 12 hours minimum, and I usually do 12.5 or 13 in most cases.

marbalboy

Las Vegas NV
I can't see that anything I said was calling you down.
Sorry, calming.
Before answering your questions, I see that you have moss in the enclosure. That needs to be removed ASAP. They eat it and it can cause impaction. Please review this for all the things NOT to do, like moss:

There is a temperate species care sheet with more info near the bottom.

The white stuff is urates. Its concentrated urine. This is not related to the fecal matter, other than the fact that both come out of a common opening called the cloaca in reptiles and birds. Urates are a by-product of protein digestion. They are usually seen when an animal is not well hydrated. If whoever had this tortoise before you followed the typical wrong advice given for DTs, then dehydration is likely. Its the number one killer of baby tortoises. You are already taking the right steps to correct the situation.

Hard to say. Babies do sleep and hide a lot. If your belly is full and your needs are all met, no need to expose yourself to predators, right?

I would get him up during the day, but many of them go to bed in the late afternoon. I would not get the tortoise up in the evening. Many people make the mistake of turning the lights off since the tortoise went to bed. The tortoise can still see that it is daylight outside even when it is hiding in its shelter. Lights need to stay on 12-13 hours if you don't want it to brumate.

He needs the soaks. The urates demonstrate that. Its normal for them to eat and then retreat. As long as the temperatures are correct, this is fine. If they eat and then go over to a cold dark corner, that would not be good.

Don't over think all of this. Go about your business and do what needs to be done. The tortoise will be fine. Get him up if he doesn't get up on his own. Soak him daily. Make sure he is eating. Keep him warm. Enjoy his company. Marvel at how fantastic he is in every way.

No one can answer this. They do bounce back quickly, but you do not have to brumate. I probably would, but its probably best that you don't in this case.

No point in going to a vet. That will stress him, and there is nothing a vet can see from examining a baby tortoise that is helpful. The only way to help a baby is proper hydration, temperatures, housing and lighting. Vets don't know tortoise care. They learn it from the same wrong sources that everyone else learns it from. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school. Most of them, sadly, do more harm than good. Vets are good when you want to do a fecal check, get medicine, or need help with an injury. Day to day husbandry and keeping a baby alive and healthy is not their area of expertise.

Soak somewhere warm. In the enclosure near the heat lamp, or outside in the sun, etc... Be SUPER careful. You want it warm, but you don't want to cook him. On hot days, put the soak container halfway in the sun and continually check the temp every few minutes. Move the container more in the sun as needed. Set the container somewhere that if you get distracted the torts ends up in full shade, NOT full sun. You can also set a hardware cloth or welded wire cover on top of the soaking container to keep birds out. On cooler days, full sun will probably work because the evaporative cooling offsets the heating done by the sun. Use your judgment and be careful.

I use closed chambers for babies. The chambers are warm and humid, and this prevents/reduces evaporative cooling while simultaneously keeping the tortoise in a warm area. I soak my babies in plastic show boxes inside their enclosure.

Alternatively, have two soaking containers. When one cools, move him into the warm one. Repeat as needed.

Lighting and heating is broken down at the end of this thread, and again in the temperate species care sheet near the bottom.

Your welcome. Happy to help. Questions are welcome. Ask for more clarification wherever and whenever it is needed. I want your baby to survive and thrive!
thank you.
I wanted tinker you know those pictures are from several days ago. There hasn’t been any moss in there for a long time!

Good to know about stress + vet.

So seeing his urates is a bad thing?? I thought it meant he’d just releasing what he doesn’t need.

The way he drinks water and acts in the baths, I think dehydration is still very real.

First of all is the following okay as a soaking practice generally and then second of all which is a better option: extra long soak; several soaks a day (but leaving alone in the evening) ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry, calming.

thank you.
I wanted tinker you know those pictures are from several days ago. There hasn’t been any moss in there for a long time!

Good to know about stress + vet.

So seeing his urates is a bad thing?? I thought it meant he’d just releasing what he doesn’t need.

The way he drinks water and acts in the baths, I think dehydration is still very real.

First of all is the following okay as a soaking practice generally and then second of all which is a better option: extra long soak; several soaks a day (but leaving alone in the evening) ?
Seeing urates means that at some point the torts was dehydrated and its body concentrated the urine into urates to conserve water. Its good that they are passing. Its when they build up over time and don't pass that its a problem.

One soak a day should be plenty for any tortoise.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I like this post, but with a couple of exceptions. Unless someone is trying to induce brumation for a temperate species of tortoise, there is no situation where the heat lamp and ambient bulb should only be on for 10 hours. 12 hours minimum, and I usually do 12.5 or 13 in most cases.
I have been thinking about the 10-12 hour daily lighting/heating rule. In the wild of course the daylight hours and temperature would fluctuate over the seasons. Is it just too complicated to try it that way?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been thinking about the 10-12 hour daily lighting/heating rule. In the wild of course the daylight hours and temperature would fluctuate over the seasons. Is it just too complicated to try it that way?
Not for species in the tropics. Not much anyway. The hours fluctuate seasonally more and more the farther away you get from the tropics. On the equator its 12/12 all year. I was in Amsterdam years ago and it was still broad daylight at 10:15pm and I was awakened by sunlight at 5am the next morning.

Shortening down to 10 hours a day is great for temperate species if you are trying to get them prepared for brumation or when they first come out of brumation in spring. 10 hours a day is not good for tropical species, and not good for individuals of temperate species that someone does not intend to hibernate.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Not for species in the tropics. Not much anyway. The hours fluctuate seasonally more and more the farther away you get from the tropics. On the equator its 12/12 all year. I was in Amsterdam years ago and it was still broad daylight at 10:15pm and I was awakened by sunlight at 5am the next morning.

Shortening down to 10 hours a day is great for temperate species if you are trying to get them prepared for brumation or when they first come out of brumation in spring. 10 hours a day is not good for tropical species, and not good for individuals of temperate species that someone does not intend to hibernate.
Ok, got that. I can stop wondering and just worry that I forgot Musk oxen browse in the mostly dark in winter. Thank you much.

marbalboy

Las Vegas NV
I wanted to let y’all know that tort seems to be doing quite well. Very curious about everything and whenever I make a commotion setting something up in the tub, always comes out to presumably yell at me to get off the lawn.

I have some concerns regarding feeding, but they suuuuuuure don’t have me as freaked out as a couple of days ago!
It really likes when I hand feed it. Like.. it’s really really spoiled. It will kind of go eat in its own, but normally I’ll hand it a piece then decides that it’s hungry and goes over to the food dish. Perhaps this is must because I can’t watch it 24/7. Although I might be close.

More concerning is its curiosity to put everything in its mouth. The odd rock in the substrate is attacked; sometimes tries to eat the orchid bark too. Idk if taste might be a better word than eat.

Finally it… misses its target a lot? Like I’m holding something out and it comes for a bite, but just has the angle all wrong or misses entirely.

Am I just tripping and no need to be concerned because it’s like what three months old or what? Especially the substrate taste testing.

Attachments

• IMG_0452.png
    IMG_0452.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0456.png
    IMG_0456.png
    994.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0453.png
    IMG_0453.png
    920.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0457.png
    IMG_0457.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

marbalboy

Las Vegas NV
I wanted to let y’all know that tort seems to be doing quite well. Very curious about everything and whenever I make a commotion setting something up in the tub, always comes out to presumably yell at me to get off the lawn.

I have some concerns regarding feeding, but they suuuuuuure don’t have me as freaked out as a couple of days ago!
It really likes when I hand feed it. Like.. it’s really really spoiled. It will kind of go eat in its own, but normally I’ll hand it a piece then decides that it’s hungry and goes over to the food dish. Perhaps this is must because I can’t watch it 24/7. Although I might be close.

More concerning is its curiosity to put everything in its mouth. The odd rock in the substrate is attacked; sometimes tries to eat the orchid bark too. Idk if taste might be a better word than eat.

Finally it… misses its target a lot? Like I’m holding something out and it comes for a bite, but just has the angle all wrong or misses entirely.

Am I just tripping and no need to be concerned because it’s like what three months old or what? Especially the substrate taste testing.
…. Just ignore that those are screen shots. Honestly could have been much worse though.