Break it down for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellyAF

5 Year Member
Hey guys, as I posted in my intro I am here poking around for all sorts of info for my mother who is interested in getting a Tort. She is behind the times and not computer savvy so I am doing all the research for her... from 2,500 miles away. :\

I know the type of Tort depends on the food being fed. I am not sure on the type of Tort she will end up with but I do know she wants a smaller one. I may suggest the Hermann, or a Russian depending on what is available in her area.

What exactly do you feed your Hermann, or Russian. To those that apply of course! Where do you get it, how much do you provide, and how often?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Romaine lettuce
Red and green leaf lettuce
Endive
Escarole
Radicchio
Chicory
Turnip greens
Mustard greens
Kale
Collards
Spring Mix

Those can be found in local supermarkets or produce stores. The idea is however with Russians in particular is to allow them plenty of Sun and grazing time. You want their main diet to be weeds and plants (broadleaf are their favorite). Some will eat grass as well.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I only own russians but the diets for the two you mentioned are similar if not identical. I feed my russian, grape leaves, dandelion leaves and flowers, hibiscus leaves and flowers, artichoke leaves, radish tops,strawberry leaves, and more, since I grow most of mine I don't shop very often but during the winter I do buy mustard greens from my local grocer, people also buy different spring mixes at the grocery stores.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I try for a wide variety and I go with fresh. Top of my head the most common are weeds which include plantain, clover, dandelion, darn I am blocking other ones. :rolleyes: I grow grape vines for the leaves, hibiscus, Althea (rose of Sharon) bush, rose bushes, day lilies, greens like collards, turnip tops, radish tops, carrot tops,pansies, petunias, pumpkin/cucumber/zucchini/squash, mulberry trees (and some kept cut down to bushes), this list just goes on and on.

When I can't get something from my yard, then I turn to the grocery store. Some common things there I get are the same greens: collard, turnips, escarole, mustard, spring mixes, Santa Barbara salad mixes. I feed not as often things like kale, even an occasional bunch of spinach. Don't forget to try cactus either. I like romaine sometimes to, it has high water content, they love it, but doesn't have great food value. I give my Russians a carrot about once a month. I feed it whole to help with beaks.

For me I try for variety. Doesn't mean each day they get something different or several different things. To me, it means that this week I might buy a bunch of collards, next week may be the dandelions are really thick in the yard so I feed heavy on dandelions that week, maybe the next week I feed grape leaves and pumpkin blooms.

I try for the big long term picture on food balance and variety.

Where do I get it...any grocery store, my yard, my flower pots, any place I can get it where they don't use chemicals, fertilizers, or have animals on Ivermectin products.

I feed almost every day with may be one day a week of no food depending on the animal, it's condition,age, ect. I may hide snacks within their enclosures for them to hunt along with the regular feeding. You can take the same amount of food and rather then feed once a day, make it smaller meals a couple of times a day. During the warm moths, my tortoises are outside where they can also free graze.

sam22188

5 Year Member
Fort Mill, SC
How much do you feed a day? And do you just put in there cage in the morning and let them graze on it througout the day?

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
sam22188 said:
How much do you feed a day? And do you just put in there cage in the morning and let them graze on it througout the day?

Hi sorry to jump into your thread, but its been very useful to me too :)
Im also interested in how much to put out - I only have one Hermann, so how much do you put down, do you chop it up, do you leave down all day ?
Also its hot here in Spain and the leaves wilt, and we also have ants here which obviously love to check out the food too :p

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
missmoofi said:
sam22188 said:

Hi sorry to jump into your thread, but its been very useful to me too :)
Im also interested in how much to put out - I only have one Hermann, so how much do you put down, do you chop it up, do you leave down all day ?
Also its hot here in Spain and the leaves wilt, and we also have ants here which obviously love to check out the food too :p

Try to put the food in the shade, obviously, and spray it lightly (I keep a small hand sprayer). I have heard some put the food in a round plant tray, inside a slightly bigger one with water in it to act as sort of a moat to keep ants out. if they are sunk a bit into the ground, the torts can climb right over, but not the ants!
Leave the food out for several hours, and I have seen mine go after dried leaves/weeds too later on.
My torts like the plants mentioned also baby's tears and alyssum. Funny things, they will completely ignore one plant for a week, then all of a sudden eat it voraciously. They must have some sense of what they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.