My Tortoise Doesn't Even See Me As Her Food Provider!!! :((

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I know tortoises are shy animals and take a while to "come out of their shell," but my leopard tort won't even eat from my hand and I've had her for a year. People on here always talk about how their tortoise will come to them when they see them (obviously bc they associate us with food, their not doing it like dogs) but she doesn't even turn her head up. She ducks her head in. When she's roaming around I want her to come to me when she see's me pull out a dandelion leaf :(:(:( is that too much to ask for???? Any advice?? I want her to come out of her shell more. Does it just take time or do you think she's just a shy tort. I've tried alot of different "treats" and she likes nothing. I just don't know what to do. Will she become less shy with age, or when she gets bigger??? All info and advice welcomed!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
HiImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455750657.915716.jpg
But now I have a lot of questions , a pic of the tort , its enclosure , and what are the temps in the enclosure ? For a start .

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Thank you! The temps in the enclosure never drop below 79. her basking spot is 95-100. And I want to clarify, she will walk around in my arms and around me, but I want her to come when I have food or eat from me. The picture of her is from a couple months ago, she sleeping in her log, i didnt want to take her out.

Attachments

• IMG_7541.JPG
    IMG_7541.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7543.JPG
    IMG_7543.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7544.JPG
    IMG_7544.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7546.JPG
    IMG_7546.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6742.JPG
    IMG_6742.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 79

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Do you feed and soak the tort the same time everyday ?
My job has odd hours, but I manage to feed her between 3:30-6(at the latest) When my schedule gets screwed up I have someone else feed her, like 1-2 times every couple of weeks. I soak her before I feed her. I usually soak her a couple times a week. Do you think because I don't feed her at the same time everyday that she may be acting this way. I feel now looking back, this might be why. But does it really matter if its the exact time everday

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I feed my torts about the same time everyday . What is the diet that you give the tort ?

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
In warm months I feed her weeds I find in my yard (all safe, unfertilized usually dandelions, wildflowers, and other weeds), kale, and spring mix. In winter months I mostly feed her spring mix and kale. She also eats the hostas when they sprout in her cage. I also plant lettuce in her cage and she eats the sprouts.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well I have 18 leopards and many other torts . But I have no ideas why you have this problem . Cause all my torts come running for food . Some would run me over for food :)

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
no need to brag, man! :eek::eek:;) Im already jealous. Maybe she's just shy, I hope she will warm up! How old is your youngest leo that comes running to you??

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
It's not you...don't worry. Some are called "pretty rocks" for a reason.
If you don't have a naturally social one, a lot of patience might change that. A lot of patience, on your part. Sometimes when they get older they aren't as shy.

Reactions: Tom

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
It's not you...don't worry. Some are called "pretty rocks" for a reason.
If you don't have a naturally social one, a lot of patience might change that. A lot of patience, on your part. Sometimes when they get older they aren't as shy.
Ok, its good to know that I'm not doing anything wrong! Thank you for your advice, I really do appreciate it!! For now I guess she'll just be that pretty rock I keep in a giant terrarium :Dlol. Patience is a virtue for a reason. Thanks again!

surfergirl

She looks great and very healthy!
She may blossom into a full blown social butterfly at anytime.
I feed mine first going in the am and they come running even with the lights off most times. I think they just get uses to a routine cause it is the same time every day and i make the same noises.

She has personality in her face to me. I bet you will see that personality get more out going as she grows bigger.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
aww thank you, that's really great to hear! I'll try setting up a more routine time and maybe after a while she'll do the same like your torts!! I am excited tho to see if her personality changes as she grows older and bigger, whether she becomes extroverted or stays introverted, its always interesting and I will love her either way, like i do now! :<3::tort::<3:Thank you again!!!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
where is your enclosure located? i don't keep leopards but my redfoot is located in the living room he's used to seeing people come and go so he's not that shy but he won't eat from my hand because i haven't tried because people talk about having the tort go for there fingers when they reach in from habit. he does come running when he's see's its food time tho

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
where is your enclosure located? i don't keep leopards but my redfoot is located in the living room he's used to seeing people come and go so he's not that shy but he won't eat from my hand because i haven't tried because people talk about having the tort go for there fingers when they reach in from habit. he does come running when he's see's its food time tho
The enclosure used to be in my room, but then I built another, better, one and its in the bonus room. People go through the room to get to other rooms, but shes in the back so she doesn't really see us. I can see how if she were in the living room, that would help her be less shy, but she still doesn't come when I feed her :/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Heather already hit the high points. Some leopards are just very shy and almost all torts are shy when they are young and small. Keep trying and give it two or three years.

I noticed the ramped water bowl in your pic. Those are very dangerous. Many tortoises flip and drown in them. I recommend removing it ASAP. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best.