BRAND NEW out door leopard tort pen!!! Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Just wanted to share how it all went down these passed few days.

I came up on some free cinder block and so I borrowd a truck and moved it all to my moms place.

IMAG0001.jpg

I Quickly threw this together the next morning. I let the Torts squirtle around in it for a few hours. They love being out in their pen but they love it even more when I let them out into moms garden. Its so vast for them and there are so many plants that they just scramble like fighter jets when I let them roam. They love stuffing themselfs into the flower stems for humidity and security.:D
IMAG0002.jpg

This morning I expanded the pen to include my moms nopal. I also picked up some other plants from a nursery the wifey got a groupon for. I havent planted them yet but its only a mater of time.
IMAG0011.jpg

Here's a shot from behind the nopal. I like the cinder block hide, Its tight and secure. Mayabe I should double it up so its deeper. A few days ago I planted some mesculin and rye grass in that "wetter" looking area, hope that works out.
IMAG0012.jpg

Unfortunatley I had to leave before the Torts had a chance to enjoy it. :(

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
That looks really nice, Luke! I think having it in the shape of an L will add interest for them. Unseen territory for when they're in the mood to go 'sploring. Free cinderblocks! Lucky you!

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
I agree, the "L" shape is key here. Espesialy because of the wall, having area away from the walls allows for more direct sun later in the day. I love Terraforming for my boys. I never knew it could be so rewarding to see your young torts out in the sun, exploring, sniffing around, doing what they're suposed to do. As opposed to being all bummed out in their indoor box.

Well, it was my father-in-laws cinderblock. He bought it years ago and I just put it to use.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Great job! It's fun to see other peoples' setups, especially from start to finish.

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
If not for all the posting on this forum my guys would likely still be on rabbit pellets n'wutnot. Look at them now, all hooked up in with a new outdoor pen just as things are starting to warm up down here. They'll be happy campers.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Very nice! Why does it always look so easy when other people build pens, but mine are lopsided, take days and I end up with a sore back.

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
Angi said:
Very nice! Why does it always look so easy when other people build pens, but mine are lopsided, take days and I end up with a sore back.

I STRAINED MY LUMBAR today! :(:D

Mom had to step in and place most of the second layer of block. Shes short, Im prety tall.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
luke said:
If not for all the posting on this forum my guys would likely still be on rabbit pellets n'wutnot. Look at them now, all hooked up in with a new outdoor pen just as things are starting to warm up down here. They'll be happy campers.

I really agree with this sentiment. This forum has really improved the quality of life for my tortoises too.

I also like to incorporate "L"s and other corners into my enclosure. My big sulcata pen wraps around 3 sides of a big building. Wait until you start to incorporate hills and elevation changes into their enclosures. Now that's fun! When my torts are up on their hill it almost seems like they are not in an enclosure. They can sit and look down at the world around them.

Nice pen Luke. Now we just need to see pics of the torts actually IN their new pen.:)

I see you also share my constant problem of needing just a few more blocks...

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
Thanks dudes.:) Glad you guys like what I've done here so far. The truth, as you might have guessed, is that I have a long way to go still. Tomorow im going to grab some more block and post some more pics of what I really want to do here.

My back is prety messed up still, and with the busy weekend coming who knows how much will actualy get done.

Tom:
I cant wait to have a large enough Tort box that my torts can be at a higher elevation than the walls comfortably:) Youve just given me another Idea! Im going to make a hill on the corner where the nopal is and my boys are going to be able to bask and look out into my moms garden! Yes!

I only got a little work done today. The earth is so clay like and rocky that I had to mix in some potting mix and ecco earth on the sunny side of the pen. I need my boys to have an area thats fluffyer like their inside boxes. Also planted a grape thing, and two succulents. More still too come.
IMAG0019.jpg

Here are some more cell phone pics per toms request. I fed them separately and then just let them squirtle around together. Wifey reported an incidend in which Romona got all up in Koopas face and Koopa retreating into his shell. Ramona has bitten my wife several times so this will likely be one of the last times we ever expose them to eachother, even in larger areas.

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

:tort::D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That looks really good and spacious. I really like the idea of turning the block on its side and using it as a hide. I think I will be doing that with my young tortoises enclosures.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So many nice things about your enclosure. I think that last picture is just great where she is so small looking next to that "giant" plant, as she is eating that leaf. Love the fact that your mother also got involved in the project, just sorry it was because you got hurt. :tort:

Angi said:

:D :D! Me too! :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.