Greek Tortoise Pen Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyTaylor

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
here is an update on our greek tortoise pen after almost 2 months.
the weeds started sprouting up from watering each nite.
we planted red clover and some differant grasses.all the plants are edible,but some of them the dont touch.it is funny to watch them eat,they will sniff everything first,i guess if it doesnt smell good they wont eat it.i have greens planted but they havent come up yet.dandelions have come up but are soon eaten.in the back of the pen we made a divider for some baby leopard tortoises we got in.

0351.jpg0151.jpg0241.jpg0211.jpg0101.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That looks great! I am sure my hatchling greek would love a pen like that, but I don't think the grounds keeping crew at my college would like it very much. For now he will have to be satisfied with daily outdoor adventures.

Quick question, did you use any specific kind of soil for the pen or just planting soil?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Very nice enclosure you have made for your Greek and Leo. I know I love to watch mine eat plants in the wilds of the back yard. Do you bring them in at night as the top of the pen is open?

RandyTaylor

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Crazy1 said:
Very nice enclosure you have made for your Greek and Leo. I know I love to watch mine eat plants in the wilds fo the back yard. Do you bring them in at night as the top of the pen is open?

thanks for the replies.
yes we do bring them in at night.havent yet come up with an idea for a top yet.also you cant tell but there is a large oak tree about 15 feet away,and its branchs come out over the pen and gives it shade most of the day.and the pen is in a fenced yard.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Nice pen! It is nice to be able to get them outside isn't it!

RandyTaylor

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
OxyBen said:
That looks great! I am sure my hatchling greek would love a pen like that, but I don't think the grounds keeping crew at my college would like it very much. For now he will have to be satisfied with daily outdoor adventures.

Quick question, did you use any specific kind of soil for the pen or just planting soil?
before we made the pin,we rototiled the area,and i just piled up the mound in the center where the plants are growing.about a week ago a put a bag of top soil all over it to cover up some seeds i planted.....around the planted area is a mixture of sand top soil and ground coconut shell.,soon to ad more sand to build it up.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I haven't thought of a top for the Cinderblock either. Other than a frame of wood with chicken wire and rocks holding it down. Just didnt' seem very practial for mine either.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Neato, it looks great. My sulcata always does the sniffing thing before he will eat anything. I guess he can tell somehow if something is good or not to eat. :)

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

kkv83

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
dear frnd taylor i suggest you to let the plant grow in the area insteated of keeping it inside pot, so that ur tortoise can reach the plant leaves and enjoy with it and can eat it, but if you want to keep the palnt in the pot only, then dont keep it on the wall of the enclosure... suppose if it fall then it may hurt to your little tortoise

RandyTaylor

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
kkv83 said:
dear frnd taylor i suggest you to let the plant grow in the area insteated of keeping it inside pot, so that ur tortoise can reach the plant leaves and enjoy with it and can eat it, but if you want to keep the palnt in the pot only, then dont keep it on the wall of the enclosure... suppose if it fall then it may hurt to your little tortoise

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.