Box turtle moods?

newboxiemama

Location (City and/or State)
Issaquah WA
Okay...my boxie, Spike, seems to have big mood swings throughout the year. He didn't go in his cave or burrow for literally 3 or 4 months (which I also thought was weird) and for the past few weeks it has become a regular thing, along with some afternoon napping. In the winter, maybe I'd expect more regular burrowing behavior - but is it strange in the summer? He is in an indoor enclosure, so it's not like he is trying to escape the afternoon sun. (Except for when he's outside - then he just darts under a bush to escape me).

Nothing has changed in terms of enclosure, UVB, heat, diet, etc. Spike still has a ridiculously large appetite and is even eating more veggies than ever before! He just seems scared of me all a sudden and a little slowed down. I remember that this has happened before...I should keep a mood diary.

Eyes are bright and alert, has not lost weight, pink mouth/tongue, looks overall very healthy. Any ideas? Should he go to a vet or am I crazy?

I may be a helicopter parent.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
All my box turtles eat then dig in for a nap...they stay buried for hours if I don't put them out. Also...all my box turtles immediately freeze whatever they are doing if I'm watching.

newboxiemama

Issaquah WA
All my box turtles eat then dig in for a nap...they stay buried for hours if I don't put them out. Also...all my box turtles immediately freeze whatever they are doing if I'm watching.
That makes me feel better. The nap IS usually preceded by lunch.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Just as they cue from outdoor environmental conditions in the winter, reptiles will cue from outdoor environmental conditions in summer.

If it has been as blazing hot out there as here in the northeast, your turt may be practicing a modified aestevation (summer pause). No females around to breed (potentially stressful - stressed reptiles need more rest and don't have any use for us lol)...unsettled weather patterns (atmospheric pressure fronts passing by)...air pollution from fires...

As long as he's hydrating and eating, not much to worry about. Keep up his routine, but don't contribute to any stress by wanting him to be social. He can't be. Male boxies are pretty easy going, but they are reptiles.

Keeping a diary or spread sheet may help you track behaviors and shed light on cyclical patterns...just don't get obsessed! =))

newboxiemama

Issaquah WA
Just as they cue from outdoor environmental conditions in the winter, reptiles will cue from outdoor environmental conditions in summer.

If it has been as blazing hot out there as here in the northeast, your turt may be practicing a modified aestevation (summer pause). No females around to breed (potentially stressful - stressed reptiles need more rest and don't have any use for us lol)...unsettled weather patterns (atmospheric pressure fronts passing by)...air pollution from fires...

As long as he's hydrating and eating, not much to worry about. Keep up his routine, but don't contribute to any stress by wanting him to be social. He can't be. Male boxies are pretty easy going, but they are reptiles.

Keeping a diary or spread sheet may help you track behaviors and shed light on cyclical patterns...just don't get obsessed! =))
Thank you so much for your insight. All of that is really spot on. It HAS been very hot and pretty smoky in WA state (his outdoor time has been somewhat limited lately due to the weather). He did seem like he desperately wanted to mate with literally anything a few weeks ago ?Eating/drinking like a champ so I'm happy about that...after two years, he will finally eat a mixed salad with actual greens. I'm sure my constant hovering has not helped things!

Thank you so much - you have always answered my questions so quickly!