little box turtle

turtleowner4

I have a little box turtle that has not been eating that much lately and is losing some weight. He seems to still be a little active and I don't see any runny nose or anything but you can see that he has lost weight in his legs and the loose skin. Any idea what I can do to get him to eat or gain some weight back? It's concerning me.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum:)!!!! we need a bit more info to see why he isn't eating. how old have you had the box turtle? where did you get him from?
does he always have access to water? what the humidity level in his cage? are you using a UVB heat light? what is his diet?

turtleowner4

I don't know how old the box turtle is, It's still small, I'd say a juvenile. I've only had it a month or so. I had someone give it to me cause they couldn't take care of it very good but he has lost weight since I've had him. He does have access to water, humidity is 70% and I am using a UVB heat light. I've been giving him earthworms, strawberries, greens, black berries, etc.

iloveturtles88

5 Year Member
I am having the same problem with my box turtle. I brought her inside cause it's been getting cold here and the outside pen wasn't in that good of a shape, I have her in a 35 gallon tote, leaves, water, food, heat lamp and UVB but she's not wanting to eat since I moved her in here. She is also losing weight, but still active and moves around. I'm not sure what else to do to get her to eat or gain weight either. :( Any suggestions?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Are you providing any night heat? Normally boxies don't need night heat. However, if you want to keep them awake and active all winter the best thing to do is provide gentle night heat and keep the UVB light on for about 14 hours. This will help them to think it's not time to hibernate. I keep my own boxies awake indoors for winter as well. They do not stop eating completely but I will tell you that they become much more picky. In the spring they will eat anything I give them. Late summer/fall they start not wanting fruits and veggies and only eating live wiggly foods. Can you post a picture of your turtle? Are you using a gram scale to weigh him?

Again, the best thing to do is 14 hours of UVB and keep them warm and humid. Try giving him a soak regularly and maybe even spraying his enclosure with warm water right before feeding. That will often getting a feeding response.