Endlessly chasing me around?

newboxiemama

Location (City and/or State)
Issaquah WA
Hi everyone! I am wondering about a behavior that Spike has developed over the past 2ish months....any info would be appreciated :)

Spike is obsessed with shoes. Wants to climb on everyones feet. Circles them and investigates every angle. At first, I thought my regular boots might look a little bit like a turtle and assumed it was either a mating or agression thing - it kept happening, even if I was wearing sandals or bright blue Vans!

Over the past week, Spike has started CHASING me and running after me faster than I have ever seen a turtle run. Immediately climbs up on my shoe, and tries to crawl up my leg. He was actually wedging his entire head under the ankle part of my pants the other day??! I sat down and helped him get up onto my lap to see what would happen, and he basically started to charge my face. Not really in a scary way, but he was determined to get to my shoulder...that was pretty sweet, because I never imagned I'd be able to *snuggle* with this turtle.

However, he is so fixated on my shoes I can hardly walk past him without sending him into a frenzy. Is this normal? Is something WRONG? I am at a loss! What is going on?!!

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
I try to let him out to roam freely as much as possible (when I can keep an eye on him)
I'd stop free roaming him asap. he can get impacted on hairs or cotton. unless your floors are SPOTLESS i wouldnt less him free roam the house. you should probably take him outside instead.

newboxiemama

Issaquah WA
Wow, thank you - good to know! I'd say that 60% of the free roaming currently happens outdoors but I have been letting him roam indoors on the hardwood floors as well. Thank you for letting me know - I had no idea.