box turtle hydration

Agne

hello I'm having trouble keeping my eastern box turtle female hydrated so I wanted to now some easy ways to quickly and easealy hydrate my turtle maybe someone could tell me how to make an easy hydration box she could go in she is about the size of my hand please reply:D:tort:

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
If you are talking about a humid hide, then a small plastic tote filled with damp moss works well.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can soak her like you do a tortoise. How big is your enclosure? in my indoor enclosure I have a large plastic plant saucer, one that goes under a flowerpot. in my outdoor enclosure I have a plastic paint tray with large pebbles in it. also keep the substrate moist and have lots of plants in the enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
She should have a water dish available 24/7. The water should not be too cold. The substrate should be moist. How are you keeping her?

Agne

I use to have her in a cedar wood enclosure with a water dish I had lots of trouble keeping it clean and I had gravel in it but now I changed the substrate to peat moss and sphagnum moss I removed the water dish and now I soak her in the kitchen sink for about 25 to 60 minutes but I think it's not enough and I also got the substrate moist maybe like a shallow bowl the width of a cup should work just for drinking

Agne

She should have a water dish available 24/7. The water should not be too cold. The substrate should be moist. How are you keeping her?
I use to have her in a cedar wood enclosure with a water dish I had lots of trouble keeping it clean and I had gravel in it but now I changed the substrate to peat moss and sphagnum moss I removed the water dish and now I soak her in the kitchen sink for about 25 to 60 minutes but I think it's not enough and I also got the substrate moist maybe like a shallow bowl the width of a cup should work just for drinking

Agne

You can soak her like you do a tortoise. How big is your enclosure? in my indoor enclosure I have a large plastic plant saucer, one that goes under a flowerpot. in my outdoor enclosure I have a plastic paint tray with large pebbles in it. also keep the substrate moist and have lots of plants in the enclosure.
i'm in north Carolina here is the middle of winter and all the plants are frozen but a water dish with pebbles is too much trouble maybe other ideas would work like a SHALLOW BOWL THE WIDTH OF A CUP

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If a bowl with pebbles is too much trouble, maybe you have the wrong pet. Your turtle needs a water dish he can climb into and sit inside of and soak. Yes, it gets dirty. That is a fact of turtle-keeping. Sometimes you may have to change it two or three times a day. Get a plant saucer a little bigger than the turtle and sink it down into the substrate so it sits flush.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Can you take a pic of your boxie and the enclosure. You said you used to have her in a cedar chest. What is she in now? There is a great care sheet on box turtles. Have a look at it. I will see if I can post the thread here or @Yvonne G can you please post the care sheet. I'm on my kindle. Thank you.
Ange the people here will help you and you boxie :)

Agne

If a bowl with pebbles is too much trouble, maybe you have the wrong pet. Your turtle needs a water dish he can climb into and sit inside of and soak. Yes, it gets dirty. That is a fact of turtle-keeping. Sometimes you may have to change it two or three times a day. Get a plant saucer a little bigger than the turtle and sink it down into the substrate so it sits flush.
God calm down I didn't come to ask if I got the wrong pet and especially a person who has no idea who I am or where I am the my turtle is well cared for and very healthy and. Spoiled so I came here for tips not for to ask have I got the wrong pet and someone who feeds their turtles snails from the yard also isn't very good

Heather H

N.E. ohio
i'm in north Carolina here is the middle of winter and all the plants are frozen but a water dish with pebbles is too much trouble maybe other ideas would work like a SHALLOW BOWL THE WIDTH OF A CUP
A bowl would be slippery. She has to be able to get in and out easily.

Heather H

N.E. ohio

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Again, how big is your enclosure? I'm asking because that tells me how much room you have in it. this is my box turtle in her plastic plant saucer.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423018266.977095.jpgit's not the best picture but you get the idea, she is drinking from it in the picture. I dump it out and refill it once a day. Sometimes twice. it definitely takes less time than soaking her in the sink. and by the way snails from the yard are very good for your box turtle if your yard does not have pesticides and poisons in it. people are not trying to attack but maybe just trying to get you to think and things a different way. please don't get grumpy on us :) and we won't get grumpy on you :)