are eatern box turtles easy to breed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
hello I'm thinking of getting Eastern Box Turtle all the easy to breed how often do they have clutches how many eggs and when do the mature?
thanks for helping
Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Mine breed easily with no help from me! I have one girl that will lay up to five clutches of six every summer. Another one usually only lays 1 clutch - so it's really up to the turtle! :) One of my girls lays fertile eggs every year with almost all of them hatching - but then this year her only clutch was not fertile. It's hard to know each year what I'll get. Good luck!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Hi.
Could u tell me how big they have to be, to be able to lay eggs, male and female.
Thanks

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Assuming you are in a state where it is legal to own & breed box turtles, my advice would be to concentrate on their care and health for a couple of years before you think about breeding them. Make sure they have access to an outdoor habitat for the summer and a good source of UVB if they don't hibernate.

If there is a good nesting spot and they are healthy and mature, breeding will happen. Hatching & hatchling care is another challenge.

You'll have to make sure the male isn't harassing the female. Either have more than one female or be prepared to separate if needed. There are several good websites devoted to the care of box turtles with good information on breeding, diet, habitat, etc.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Breeding isn't easy for any animal. You can put a male a female together doesn't mean you will get fertile eggs. Care is important and proper care is really important. A female can die from breeding if not properly cared for and has eggs. Can't rush nature

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I live in south florida,
They would be outside all year around, with lots if food, i have 2 sullies what are extremly healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.