Box turtle acting weird sitting in water all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

tee66

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
Ok I have a box turtle (one of my hatchlings) it is 12 yrs old I've noticed it's been spending more time in its water but today he has been in the water most of the day. I've changed the water and even took him and other one out and soaked them while I was cleaning up the enclosure he immediately went right in water I've taken him out several times throughout the day only to have him go right back in the water. I don't see any signs of him being sick and he has been eating I've never had a box turtle do this before. Don't know if anyone has and can maybe help me out as to what may be going on?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
RE: Box turtle sitting in water all day acting weird

I had a baby box turtle sit in water all day a couple of days before he died. In my case, the baby was sleeping on a heating pad and i had no idea he was dehydrating. A couple of days of that, he basically cooked to death. Don't know what your boxie is doing, but I'd check if he's not getting enough shade, water, or if he's distressed in some way. Then, correct the problem. Check if his enclosure is too dry.

tee66

5 Year Member
Delaware
RE: Box turtle sitting in water all day acting weird

sibi said:
He's eating, drinking and peeing/pooping ok he has a hide box on opposite end of enclosure in the middle is the basking area he normally will bury himself in the mulch but today Ann he wants to do is sit in the water. I've taken him out several times and pit him in the hide but he goes right back into the water again!! I'm worried about him.
I had a baby box turtle sit in water all day a couple of days before he died. In my case, the baby was sleeping on a heating pad and i had no idea he was dehydrating. A couple of days of that, he basically cooked to death. Don't know what your boxie is doing, but I'd check if he's not getting enough shade, water, or if he's distressed in some way. Then, correct the problem.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is what box turtles do when they aren't feeling well. Is there any chance he has worms? Warm him up, that usually helps. 85F degrees or so.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Box turtles will sit in the water, they love water, it's not only when they are feeling bad either. They are semi aquatic turtles and I've had some soak for days, 3 toed box turtles like water more then most from what I seen. My female 3 toed will sit in the water and dunk her head and swim around. As long as your guys eating and not losing weight I wouldn't worry. He eventually will leave and might not go back for awhile, then will spends days in the water again. Box turtles have weird behaviors

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My box turtles like to sit in their water also. Sometimes for two days in a row. Hopefully he is just enjoying the water!!

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
tee66 said:
Ok I have a box turtle (one of my hatchlings) it is 12 yrs old I've noticed it's been spending more time in its water but today he has been in the water most of the day. I've changed the water and even took him and other one out and soaked them while I was cleaning up the enclosure he immediately went right in water I've taken him out several times throughout the day only to have him go right back in the water. I don't see any signs of him being sick and he has been eating I've never had a box turtle do this before. Don't know if anyone has and can maybe help me out as to what may be going on?

If you've had this turtle 12 years and never seen this before then I'd investigate what's changed over the last few months.. have you added another turtle (is it the sole turtle you have in the enclosure?) are you sure you have a male and not an egg bound female? Have you caught it penis-fanning in the water.. did you hibernate him and recently wake him up.. do you regularly change your UV bulb/perhaps it's just a useless light source now? does he get time to bask in unfiltered sunlight?? Start with what's changed.. he's reacting to that more than likely

tee66

5 Year Member
Delaware
Thank you I will let everyone know how he is doing. I've had box turtles/ tortoises for many yrs and never had one sit in the water this long they will go in drink and do their business but never hang out for more than an hour.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
i've seen this behavior run the range in my turtles. sometimes it's just nothing and sometimes its indicative of illness. warming up your little guy will help if it's an illness. you may also want to warm soak him for a few days. i'd give it 2 - 3 days and then be off to the bet. fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.