Box turtle acting strangely

ValJean

Location (City and/or State)
Portland,OR
I have an adorable 30 year old box turtle that I rescued from a sketchy pet store. I’ve had him since September and got him checked out at the local exotic animal veterinarian. Apart from having worms (which were treated) he’s been head and thriving. Here’s my question: for a few days after I routinely clean his habitat and replace the substrate, he acts rather strangely, rooting around in the new substrate and going in and out of his pool repeatedly, dragging in the substrate and getting the water dirty. I end up having to change the water in the pool multiple times a day. He also drags it into his food dish. After a few days he settles down and his home stays neater. Has anyone else had this experience? Is this normal box turtle behavior?

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Mine do this all...day... LONG! They are just like us, some times you just wanta run around the place and then you don't. Mine are having fun rooting for earth worms in their leaf pile and going to poop in their pond. Maybe it's great weather and he is having fun making you work harder. It's always good to see your turtle being healthy and exercising! ? :tort:?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Make sure the new substrate is properly hydrated. Turtles will spill water dishes to moisten dry substrate.

ValJean

Portland,OR
It’s new substrate so it’s actually pretty moist. Which is actually why I think he’s getting his pool so dirty, because it’s sticking to him more. Thanks everybody for your answers.

ValJean

Portland,OR
I also suspect that he is becoming more active now that the weather is warmer. He didn’t go into brumation over the winter, but he was less active.